mxwannabe

May 11, 2005
Well today was hell im riding home alone, first mistake, and I came up to a part of the trail that is normally dry but today it was underwater. Being a cocky loser I kept on going even though I had a alternate way home about five minutes away. Some all was going good until I hit a deep spot, silencer completly under, Airfilter sucked in a large amount of water, :bang: well she died on me about five seconds later and wouldnt start back up. So i had to push my way through 100 yards of water and weeds :yikes: . Now im just concerned about my bike. I drain the tranny oil and flushed it out, took of exhaust pipe and spark plug and pushed it around in gear and it spit out like a gallon of water. Drained header of water cause it was pretty full of it, Im hoping it came from the silencer end not through the engine.
What else should i do to it? Im the definition of a budget rider so money is close to nill :(
Thanks in advance for any help

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
Drain and refill the carb, then get it started, and let it get good and warn. You might have to clean the plug a few times, but be persistant. That'll dry out any water that might be left it there, as well as re-lube everything with pre-mix. Then drain and fill everything again. This is probably not the best way to go about getting the water out, but considering your financial situation, it's prolly your best shot at saving it. Whatever you do don't let water..even moisture sit in it overnight....bearings, cylinders and cranks don't mix well with water/moisture and oxygen. Don't forget to put oil back in the tranny.....good luck, YZ165

mxwannabe

May 11, 2005
will the crank and the bearing go bad even if theres oil in the caseings
I live in Fort Myers and its at my buddies house cause I couldnt bring it home.

sparkysakitas

~SPONSOR~
Aug 31, 2005
the crank is seperate from the gears
and is lubed with the premix gas
so if you submerged it enough to fill the crank area you need to pull the head off and drain and dry it real good
then i bought a quart of 2 stroke oil and poured some in and rotated crank by hand and drained and hosed it out with compressed air ( i did this about 5-6 times) to make sure i flushed any sand out and the wiped it all down
( i also took this time to put in a new top end)
total cost with having cylinder honed was 110$
thats doing the work yourself

mxwannabe

May 11, 2005
Well I ran over to me buddys last night after reading how letting it sit overnight could kill the bearings and got it running and warmed it up real good so that hopefully got all the water out. Other than a semi difficult start up, 15 good kicks, it ran completly normal no bogging or sputtering. Do you thing I got most of the water out.

kshackleton

Oct 12, 2005
mxwannabe said:
Well I ran over to me buddys last night after reading how letting it sit overnight could kill the bearings and got it running and warmed it up real good so that hopefully got all the water out. Other than a semi difficult start up, 15 good kicks, it ran completly normal no bogging or sputtering. Do you thing I got most of the water out.

If the engine was up to proper operating temperature for sufficient time, then all the water would evaporate and leave the engine. You will still need to keep changing the tranny oil very frequently until the oil stays clean and does not have any creamy colour to it.

You may have come off lucky, but there may still be silt residue inside the engine that will shorten engine life [crank bearings]....time will tell.

Top Bottom