mazeco

Jun 8, 2003
I have a xr 250 a very old one! I'm starting to do some mx since I only have the xr thats what i use but when I jump I almost always land with my front tire and have crashed a few times... I would like to know what is the proper way to jump... what to do before , during and landing the jump! I try to keep my weight on the rear wheel and I don't brake in the air! Also is it just the ergonomics of the bike the pushes the front tire down? I'm planning with my dad to buy a yzf250 will the bike be more stable and will the jumps be easier? Thank you in advance!

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
First of all you would be better off posting this in the Riding Techniques forum. If your nose diving off the face of the jump you are likely letting off the gas (chopping the throttle) on the face of the jump. Try keeping the gas on at a steady pace all the way off the face of the jump. If MX and jumping are your major uses for that bike now I would look at upgrading very soon. Check out the riding techniques forum there is several threads already going on this topic.

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
Get rid of that old XR 250, they are not for MXing and any thing we tell you won't apply since your bike is poorly suspended and way under power to apply the techniques correctly. There are lots of info already on jump techniques so start reading. Make sure you choose the correct forum to search.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Originally posted by mazeco
since I only have the xr thats what i use but when I jump I almost always land with my front tire

Mazeco.

I think Chili pegged it. You are probably letting off on the face of the jump.

A four stroke jumps a lot different than a two stroke. Especially an XR type of four stroke. An XR has a long stroke, small diameter piston and a large flywheel. When you shut the throttle off, you get a lot of engine braking. This will cause the front end to dive. When leaving the jump, you have to be on the gas and launch the bike over the jump. You have to be very aggressive and position your body further back on the bike.

With a two stroke or a modern day four stroke, (YZF or CRF) you don't get the same engine braking effect. They have a shorter stroke, larger diameter piston and smaller flywheel. With these bikes you have to have a more neutral throttle while leaving the jump or you may loop out. Also, body position is further forward.

Your XR is a completly different animal than a standard MX bike and as a result you have to use a completly different technique. A lot of the jumping techniques that you read here refer to two strokes or modern four strokes.

Be sure to wear all of your safety gear. :thumb:
good luck.

yzrook267

Oct 5, 2003
If you have tried keeping the throttle on all the way off the face and you still keep nose-diving give a little extra blip of the throttle as you came off the jump. This will bring up the front wheel and level out the bike.

WeInErIsH

Sep 10, 2003
If its not you backing off, it will be the rear. suspension.

It will have too much rebound and when it sompresses, it rebounds quicker than the front.

Top Bottom