Skid Jackson

Nov 1, 2000
Ok i got rid of the clapped out xr 400 i never should have bought. now i have to replace it. I could go with a new xr 4 but i'm thinking of a kdx 200. They are fairly plentiful in my area and used one's aren't to pricey. New at $3900 is also an option bike would be used for trail riding in Nh, no competitive riding at all. I didn't get to ride the xr enough to really get a feel for it (it was that bad) but i've never been on a kdx either. anyone want to offer up some opinions on which way to go??? any strengths or weaknesses on smoking v. non smoking?? (for a little more info i also put a post in the kdx section asking for thier opinions on the kaw.)

Thanks!!

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
For the money, a new KDX is hard to beat. It's lighter than the XR but with the lower center of gravity it will feel a TON lighter. Less low end the the XR but more on top with the right mods. They are also very raceable with a pipe change and suspension work. Anyone who thinks a KDX cannot go fast should try to follow Jeff Fredette or Fred T. through the woods.

The XR is a great bike too but a good used one will cost as much or more than a new KDX.

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
I know Fred T. loves his KDX and he does get faster every time we ride.
BUT......putting him on Fredette's level may be an exaggeration Badger Man.:D

Buell

Dec 1, 1999
The KDX is a GREAT bike, had one for two years. I have a KTM200MXC and it's a blast as well....well when I ride it to check on things after working on it...ah you see it's my wife's bike and I don't get to ride it much:confused:
(only when she's not looking!)

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
Originally posted by fatherandson
I know Fred T. loves his KDX and he does get faster every time we ride.
BUT......putting him on Fredette's level may be an exaggeration Badger Man.:D

Yeah, you may be right. However, nobody can grill 4 dozen hotdogs as quickly as Fred!

I used to race a KDX in the D14 enduro series. I purchased most of my parts from Jeff Fredette. He was great to deal with and always had what I needed in stock.

RM80kid

Jan 2, 2001
If u dont want to go to a 2 stroke the KLX 300 is also a very good choice. I think it is the best handeling bike ever and the suspention is alittle better then the one on the KDX. Also, they r pritty cheep used. I just got a 97 KLX 300 for 2,500 in show room condition my dad has a 99 that he bought in 2000 for 3,400. They r really good bikes. Reliable, good hop up ability, light and i think there fast. Mine is completly stock except for the free mods and the fixes and it tops out at 85 .

cujet

Aug 13, 2000
I think this is interesting. You want to compare two old tech bikes and try to determine which is better. The KDX is far lighter and easier to handle in tight woods or sand. The XR is smoother and more comfortable on fast fire roads. Both bikes last a long time and are reliable. However I would give the reliablity nod to the XR4. The KDX can be made to be faster than the XR. The KDX will be easier to overhaul as it has only 25% of the moving parts the XR has. Consider the WR250F also.

good luck.

Buell

Dec 1, 1999
We looked at a WR250F before we bought the 200MXC....it took them 10 minutes to get it started!!! They said it was "just cold"....then it took me another 5 or 6 kicks to get it to relite after killing it with the button and I KNOW the drill. I owned a YZ400 and it was always a first kick bike. The YZ250F or WR250F is not a great beginner trail bike - IMHO :D The two strokes like the KDX and the KTM 200 MXC/EXC may not be the latest craze but they are solid, light, easy to start, fun to ride bikes:)

Skid Jackson

Nov 1, 2000
Thanks for the replies guys!!
As far as the old tech goes... interesting point!.... mostly based on whats relatively cheap and available used, although new is an option..... as far as the 200cc thing goes i've always liked small bikes....that said i rode a drz400e around the dealer parking lot, that felt awefully good..... but there was a 01 kdx in tonights paper. If i could get it for 3k thats about a 2k spread between the two.. although its an apple to oranges thing .... the kdx would need suspesion work..... both bikes would be tons of fun.... is the fun on the zook worth the extra $1500 or so bucks?? ... best thing to do in this situatin is to not think so much and just go buy one!!! I wish i didn't have such a hard time opening up my wallet!!!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom