HELP! I'm in the market for a hand held GPS unit

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
what to buy? I've been looking mostly at garmin units, like the GPS 12 , GPS-12XL, E-trex legend © any of you trail riders or racer's us them© I mostly want the plotting , speed & distance parts, also the maping features of some of the other hand held units look kinda cool, any help please!

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
Marlin,

I hope you feeling better from your swimming accident.
I would suggest that you check with the local MI DNR office. I have heard that they are upgrading their GPS units and selling the used ones. Just an idea.

PaulXR

Jul 29, 1999
Garmin units work pretty well and are very well made. I use a Garmin 12 and a PALM III with several custom software programs to do some very detailed trail maps. I use TOPO USA to import the GPS data after I have done some converting and such to it. The maps are VERY nice. Pretty much any GPS will do the job, some are better suited to dirtbikes than others.

Layton

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 2000
I use the Garmin II+. This is a small unit and has the ability to flip the screen sideways so that the unit can be mounted crossways on the bike. Kind of like a enduro computer.

Hope this helps.:)

MADisher

Grand Data Poohbah
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 30, 2000
I really really like the eTrex product. The Handlebar mount is pretty sturdy. Lord knows I've crashed enough times with it still on. I had the bare bones eTrex, gave that to my dad and upgraded to the Summit. It works really really well.

Pick the one that fits your budget.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
bought garmin GPS 12

took a little trip to cabela's © I like the gps 12xl map but the mapping part was to muddy, the e-trex legend the buttons were in the wrong place "sides" for what I going to use it for the cheaper one will work fine© also I ordered the baja gps unit holder looks to be a nice sturdy bracket©

quadrunner

Jul 20, 2001
E-trex Vista --> Compare these features
Accepts Mapsource topos and metro street guides with street address lookup
24MB memory storage of maps
WAAS Wide area augmentation system, accurate to 1 meter if available
Compass
Altimeter

Mine works good without a handlebar mount. Just put it in my pocket or headlight bag.

canucklehead

Apr 13, 2000
I've been using the Magellan 315 with excellent results. Most reviews I've seen have the 315 outclassing pretty much every unit in equal price range. I don't mount mine on my bike, I carry mine in a waist pack. (I was gonna say fanny pack, but it sounds so DUMB!):cool:

I wasn't too impressed with the eTrex products (except the Vista... $$$) as I don't like the side buttons. Since selective availability (SA) has been turned off by the US DOD last May, pretty much ANY 12 channel receiver will be accurate to a few meters.

Magellan 315 all the way!

Dave

MADisher

Grand Data Poohbah
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 30, 2000
I like it on the bars, Normally I have the trip screen on which has all the normal goodies: MPH, odometer, etc, etc.

Yes the buttons aren't the greatest, but it's water proof, and with the summit the only button you need is the little joystick thingy which is a lot easier to use than I thought it would be. On the bars it's quick and easy to flip to map to make sure you're heading back to the car when you want to. It's been absolutely necessarry the last couple of times we've gone out as we've gone to places we've never been. That is no one in the group had a clue where we were going or where we'd been. Whoot

As for the handlebar mount, just plop in etrex handlebar mount in a google.com search. You'll find lots of places that have them now. 6 mos ago you couldn't find them anywhere. I just looked and you can get them from $14 to $20. Shop around.

-MD

quadrunner

Jul 20, 2001
88RM250, that's odd what you say about the Summit, because before I got the Vista, the Summit is what I used. It did not have the "click stick."

slideways11

Sponsoring Member
Apr 18, 2000
For good deals on handheld GPS check out marine supply stores like West Marine. Also for some cool navigational software check out www.maptech.com

MADisher

Grand Data Poohbah
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 30, 2000
Yes you are right, it's the Vista with the Stick and that's what I have. Too many models too little time :)

I just looked at the site and the Vista, Venture and Legend have the stick as well, just not the plain eTrex or the Summit.

The only problem I'm having is I now only seem to get about 6 hours on a set of batteries. Which is just a singe day :(

-MD

Last edited:

quadrunner

Jul 20, 2001
For better Vista battery life, turn off WAAS and the compass. The quick way to turn the compass on or off is to hold in the screen page button on the right side. On for a few seconds when you need it, off rest of the time. Then carry a second set of batteries :D

team-green32

MAGA
Mi. Trail Riders
Mar 27, 2001
Chicago
The garmin 12 be on my bike right now but, i never got to use it last week cause we went to the sand dunes and rode for 20 minutes and my brothers bike broke and we drove back home.

easy sand hills though

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
70marlin, let me know when you have your new trail marked and GPS'd. I would be happy to come and help you break it in. Derhnter, Fred T and I are headed to Moorestown this weekend to break in trail for the Jack Pine enduro.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
That little trail?

that little trail is closed till spring, bambi hunters now have the woods© but I can still ride the little gravel pit, not much fun after hitting real trails up north© was hoping to make it to your spud fest© and give it a try? but© the water slide KO'd that :<¥¥

team-green32

MAGA
Mi. Trail Riders
Mar 27, 2001
Chicago
that trail is closed???????

team-green32

MAGA
Mi. Trail Riders
Mar 27, 2001
Chicago
nevermind i feel dumb.

fatherandson~
your talking about the trail we wanna make by our house.
lol

Top Bottom