Help! Left the KDX club, now I want back in!

firffighter

Jan 31, 2005
I sold my '92 KDX 200 last winter after getting it set up exactly how I wanted it. I got lured into the 4 stroke craze, and bought a WR426 rode it for about a month, hated it, and then bought a XR600 which I currently own and also dont enjoy riding all that much. I miss my KDX and regret letting it go. It only had 500 original miles on it and I had done a ton of mods to get it dialed to perfection.
I ride with buddies who all have new 4-strokes and who swore they were all that and a shake. I rode the WR426 and it was too heavy, too twitchy, reved like a 250 2-stroke motocrosser, and It was brutal to start hot or cold. I shouldnt have let myself get sucked into all of the hype. I love the KDX smooth power delivery, light weight, and soft seat. I think the KDX is the most versitile bike around and can tackle all of the riding I do here in Oregon from tight stuff to dunes to desert to putting with the kids on our little track.
I am thinking of getting a leftover '06 KDX200 after selling my XR600. I have never had a new bike in 25+ years of riding and think that I could score a good deal on one that is still sitting at the dealer.
I am looking forward to going back to the KDX and planning on staying this time. I also missed this site with all of the great help and input from you all.
How much should I pay for a leftover '06 KDX 200? Thanks

krazyinski

Feb 2, 2006
firffighter said:
I sold my '92 KDX 200 last winter after getting it set up exactly how I wanted it. I got lured into the 4 stroke craze, and bought a WR426 rode it for about a month, hated it, and then bought a XR600 which I currently own and also dont enjoy riding all that much. I miss my KDX and regret letting it go. It only had 500 original miles on it and I had done a ton of mods to get it dialed to perfection.
I ride with buddies who all have new 4-strokes and who swore they were all that and a shake. I rode the WR426 and it was too heavy, too twitchy, reved like a 250 2-stroke motocrosser, and It was brutal to start hot or cold. I shouldnt have let myself get sucked into all of the hype. I love the KDX smooth power delivery, light weight, and soft seat. I think the KDX is the most versitile bike around and can tackle all of the riding I do here in Oregon from tight stuff to dunes to desert to putting with the kids on our little track.
I am thinking of getting a leftover '06 KDX200 after selling my XR600. I have never had a new bike in 25+ years of riding and think that I could score a good deal on one that is still sitting at the dealer.
I am looking forward to going back to the KDX and planning on staying this time. I also missed this site with all of the great help and input from you all.
How much should I pay for a leftover '06 KDX 200? Thanks
3995.00 should be tops 3400 goood price.

Jun 4, 2007
Back in

Me too. Best new price I got on a left over 06 KDX200 was for $3800. I settled for a like-new 05 KDX220 for $3000. It was titled already. No problems registering it here in Teller county CO. I ended up using a 142 main jet here at 8400 ft elev.

Bruce

duke

Oct 9, 1999
Its posts like these that prevent me from succumbing to all the hype with the new breed of high performance 4T, most especially the 250 cc size models. Performance wise, I think these bikes have but one real advantage and thats a more modern fork. Besides that, I would gather to say that their performance parallels that of a well tuned KDX. I suspect at some point a 4T will be in my garage, but not until they come approximate the level of durability found in the KDX/XR series of machines.

iamthecowboy

May 23, 2007
I would like to say that I have both a KDX200 and a CRF250x. I would have to say the bikes are quite comparable. Except for the forks. I am happy to have both bikes. The KDX will live in KY where I ride with my buddy, and the CRF will live with me here in WI. Personally, I rode whatever crap pile I had and enjoyed the heck out of it. That list includes, a DT175, XT550, XL600, XR600, XR350 and an XR400. I loved them all. Run what you brung is what I say! Yee Haw and ride on!

firffighter

Jan 31, 2005
Hey,

I found a local dealer who is closing out their '06 models for $3399. What do you think. I might go in tomorrow to do some wheelin and dealin.

ebeck

Dec 13, 2006
I found that the KDX motor in a KX is the best combo. You get the MX bike enifits with the great great KDX motor. 190 pounds to boot. If you have the time look into it. It is pretty easy.

Good luck either way!

duke

Oct 9, 1999
Ya know, I am forever seeing older KX125's being offered for dirt cheap, as the bikes, 125's that is, have lost the appeal for many. I personally like them, having once owned a 2000 YZ125 myself. But I digress. I need to do a search and see which KX models are accomodating to a KDX powerplant. I am sure that I could find one with a blown motor or therebouts in terms of engine condition.

ZOMBIE666

Mar 24, 2006
duke, if you find out what frames will fit the kdx powerplant please do update us. I too sold my KDX (92 as well) and miss her :( something so great about just jumping on the bike and riding it without having to worry about it blowing up. not only that but all my current bikes are MXrs and sometimes i just want to putt. KDX can do that. a high strung cr250 cant (very well at least)

Flynpumpkin

Jul 22, 2003
I rode my '91 for 12 years, on the original top end, but in '01 I switched to a KTM 200 MXC. While it was a great bike it just demanded that you rode it aggressively to work best. At 43 years old I just find that I'm not always in the mood to hammer it all the time. That was one of the KDX's most outstanding features, you could hammer it, but it was also very complient when you didn't. Last week I scored a deal on an '06 leftover for $2995! They said it was a "repo" bike. If a dealer goes under other dealers can buy their inventory at a reduced cost. Lucky me!

Dakota Kid

Jun 3, 2006
I just purchased 2 06 YZ125's for $3600 each. Awsome bikes but I think on the trail I still prefer one of my 3 KDX's. Picked up my 3rd KDX on **** this spring for $1300 (I stole this one). If you can pick up an 06 KDX for around $3500 - 3800, I think it would be a good buy. You would ride this for years and in ten years it will probably be worth what you paid for it. There will be plenty of collectors who remember the good times on there KDX. I always look at cost of ownership, minimal maintenance and depreciation. This is not even factoring in the fun you'll have!! My KDX's will either disingrate in my garage or I will kick the bucket (probably from impalling myself on a tree limb). Buy one, ride it stock, have fun!!!!

firffighter

Jan 31, 2005
Local dealer wanted $600 in setup and freight, so I started to looked for a used KDX. My brother who was also looking for a KDX found a guy selling a '99KDX220 and '99ktm 200exc for $1600 each. We went out to look at them and they were in near mint condition. My brother doesnt have much riding experience, so I took the KTM. I know that can be considered blasphemy on this site. It is a nice bike and I couldnt pass up a great deal.

Top Bottom