Hawk45

Feb 21, 2003
Will be using for trails mostly..

2001 RM250 looks new from 2nd owner has VForce valve and top TAG clamp...for $1750

or

98 CR250 looks new ..pretty much every after market except triple clamp and the owner was very perticular and detailed on the bike ... for $1500 (tons of extra stuff, sprockets (new), tires (50%),manuals, etc.)

Thanks,
John

Hawk45

Feb 21, 2003
01 RM250 or 98 CR250?

01 RM250 or 98 CR250?

Both look to be well taken care of. The CR owner seems to be very perticular about the bike and is older and knows every little detail about it. Has made numerous upgrades and lots of extras. I mean this guy trued the rims and breaks!! Very perticular indeed! I was impressed. Looks just off the showroom for a 98'

The RM is a guy who just did not like 2 wheels and wants to go back to 4 wheeling.

The difference in price is at most $250.

I'm leaning towards the CR b/c the owner was so knowledgeable and seemed to take great care of it. We talked about the bike for over an hour and could have gone on longer if I didn't cut him off b/c I had somewhere else to be.

The RM owner was younger and did not know much about the bike. Think had it less than a year.

I've heard great things about both model/year bikes but that Honda are a bit more reliable in the long run.. and that is what I am looking for.. I won't be buying another bike for a looong time.

Is 3 years difference in bikes a big deal if the 98 was well taken care of?

What would you do?

Thanks everyone for taking time for you .02

Hawk

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Bike set-up is a huge part of the picture. If you don't have the expertise or money to do it right, you will really benefit from what the previous owner has done to the CR. Especially if you are about the same size as him and ride the same type of tracks or terrain.

FWIW, I had a dialed in '99 that I bought when it was 2 years old and loved it. It was a great bike, and I sold it about 6 months ago. The magazines dinged the 1st gen ('97 - '99)aluminum frames for being too stiff. Total BS. My old bike had Factory Connection suspension and it was plush all day long, even on nasty rocky single track.

So due to my very positive experience with a '99, I would probably go with the CR (assuming it is the one that is $250 less).

02rm250

Uhhh...
Sep 25, 2006
The part and fastener quality is better on Hondas. I would most definately lean towards the red bike, especially since it was so meticulously maintaned. Good luck!

mmz77

Oct 15, 2006
Yeah I would say the Honda as well since mine is a 1998 also. It is an awesome bike and handles very wells and has PLENTY of power with some basic modifications. :cool:

Hawk45

Feb 21, 2003
Excellent!!! I went with the CR... got it for $1500 loaded with tons of new/used extras. They gentleman I am buying from is excited for me too which is good. He said once he gets his new house fixed and old one sold he's going to call me to see if he can buy it back.. hahaha. I told him good luck but if I did decide to sell it I would give him first honors. Heck.. he's even driving 50 miles (each way) out of his way to drop it off at the house b/c I don't have a trailer yet. Good guy for sure. Can't wait to get it tomorrow.

Thanks everyone,
John

Top Bottom