Help me cover all the bases on this 86 YZ125

VTNewb

Feb 18, 2008
Hey guys,
A buddy of mine has an 86 YZ125. The top end was inspected by a small engine company and it was determined he needed new rings, so after replacing the rings and making sure the top end is all there, it's time to tune the carb.

The bike has stock jetting except a 45 pilot where a 40 would be. The air filter is new, oiled, and clean.

Symptoms:
Leaking vent tubes, going to check float height and needle valve this week.
Revs up fine in neutral, but underload has a hard time going from midrange to the powerband. it's fine once it's in the powerband.
Very bad low end power but it's a 125 so what can you expect.

My plans: Throw stock pilot in there and set the needle one setting leaner. Fix the float height.

Other random issue: When he gave me the bike to look at I think he had kicked it over and over, as after bump starting twice with no luck, I finally managed to get it started and about 3 cups of gas came shooting out of the exhaust in the form of black sludge. While this was going on it seemed to be leaking gas out of the powervalve cover (???), this is not comfirmed, it was just dripping off the waterpump cover and was originating at some point on the exhaust side of the engine. Problem dissapeared when I finally got it started and cleaned out.

Anything I'm missing or you guys would do to help me square this away?

kawraper

Mar 4, 2009
My buddy has a 86 yz250 and it had the same deal with the float needle not seating and filling the cylinder with gas and for some reason not going out the overflow tubes. Funny to hear its happening on another 86yz.

Btw I ripped up the carb at the end of last season and never finished fixing it.....

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
before you mess with any tunning, fix the float first and check the reeds for cracking or bends... and by the way new silencer packing... as this influences jetting...

VTNewb

Feb 18, 2008
helio lucas said:
before you mess with any tunning, fix the float first and check the reeds for cracking or bends... and by the way new silencer packing... as this influences jetting...

It has a new silencer and new reeds, but I'm def fixing the float first.

VTNewb

Feb 18, 2008
New question: I adjusted his clutch lever as I normally, with a little bit of play before it starts pulling, but his clutch engagement point is very very late. The clutch engages within nearly a millimeter of the lever being released. Is there some way to adjust this within the actuator in the basket area?

jsantapau

Nov 10, 2008
kawraper said:
My buddy has a 86 yz250 and it had the same deal with the float needle not seating and filling the cylinder with gas and for some reason not going out the overflow tubes. Funny to hear its happening on another 86yz.

Btw I ripped up the carb at the end of last season and never finished fixing it.....

quite a coincedence the float needle being outa whack on a 20 something year old bike :laugh:

Top Bottom