Help me find my two sons there 1st bikes

JayStew

Apr 30, 2008
OK guys, you know the drill I'm sure. I have never really been into dirt bikes, but my two boys are really wanting to give it a try. I have filled in the info below for both.

And thanks in advance for any and all help!!!!

1) your physical size
(9yr old 4' 2" 95 lds) (7 yr old 3' 11' 55) lds
2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
(9 yr- fairly aggressive) (7 yr- not aggressive)

3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ????? Both hills and wooded trails

4) Do you have any riding experience? (9 yr -minimal)
(7 yr none)

5) Do you think you will race ?
Competitively, no. Each other, yes
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
Yes and I'll be working on them
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
4 stroke and don't want a no name brand unless ya'll talk me into thinking otherwise
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?

Local dealer carries Honda, Yamaha, and Suzuki...maybe Kawasaki, not sure.
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike? Thinking I could get both (new) for under 3k total
10) Do you live in California? NO
11) Your age?
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion
Help me talk their mom into getting them...She is scared to death they will get hurt. But doesn't mind if they got 4 wheelers.... :whoa:

Apr 30, 2007
For the 7 year old, I'd suggest a CRF 50, or a CRF 70. Take him with and have him sit on both to check for what he feels most comfortable with. They are gentle 4 strokes and very easy to learn on.

JayStew

Apr 30, 2008
Thanks for the reply.

I am leaning toward a Yamaha ttr50e for my 7 yr old. Still undecided on the 9yr old.

Anyone else care to chime in??

LEllis7motox

Jan 28, 2008
Well for the 9 year old there is a ttr90 or the crf70... from there it goes to the 125 wich is a great beginners bike but maybe a little to big for him... i know u wanted a four stroke but besides the ttr90 and crf70 i think a 50 2-stroke and a 65 2 stroke for the 9 year old would also make good bikes :cool:

The 125L seathight is 32 inches the 125 small tire is 30.5 inches

I forgot kawasaki and yamaha make a 110 four stroke that would probably fit the 9 year old it has a 26 inch seat hight but like what justalonewolf said take them to the local dealer and have them sit on some bikes :nod:

Top Bottom