XMotoX

Oct 23, 2006
I'm 5'8" and 145 lbs. I'm 16 yrs. old and I'm looking for a two stroke bike to learn to ride on. I've never ridden a two stroke before just small four strokes, and I've heard they can be a handful if you aren't experienced.

I want a 2 stroke because I can find them used all over for cheap. I've been looking at a KX100. I don't really want to jump right on a 125 because I'm not that experienced, and an 85 would be a tad small. I'd take an 85 but I've heard the KX100 is good for trails and woods riding. And thats mainly what I'll be riding.

Plus, like I said, I don't have any experience on a 2 stroke and I've heard the KX100 had a broader powerband so I won't wreck it as easy while I'm still learning.

Should I get a KX100 or start out on some 85?

XMotoX

Oct 23, 2006
1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
I'm 5'8" and 145 lbs. 16 yrs. old
2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
I'd say medium agressiveness
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
In the woods, on trails, with friends. Just have some fun. Maybe an occasional MX track
4) Do you have any riding experience?
I've ridden bikes before but only a little. I've ridden my dad's playbike (Honda XR80) and my brother's Suzuki SP125. I still have room to learn a lot.
5) Do you think you will race ?
Probably not.
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
My dad would do the mechanical work when needed.
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
I want a 2 stroke because they are cheap when buying used. No brand preference really.
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
I think there is a Honda/Yamaha dealer close and a Suzuki and Kawasaki dealer close.
9) How much do you plan to spend on a bike?
Anywhere up to about $2000.

Sorry I didn't put that in the first post. Thanks.

MeanorMX

May 30, 2007
I think a good bike for you would be a 125 two stroke. It has a bit more power than an 80 or 100, and will allow you to advance to a bigger bike easier when you have the skill for it.

You can find them fairly cheap priced as well.

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
My 14 year old daughter has a KX100 and loves it. My son also rode it before that, until he got too tall (5'10"). For your height and intended use of the bike you should strongly consider a KDX; here's why:

A KX100 is a bigger KX85, I guess the same size as a Honda CR85 Expert. It has more torque and less peak HP than the KX85, though, making it a better woods bike (esp. with a 10oz flywheel weight). This means it has the same size wheels and about the same seat height as a TTR-125L or playbikes like that.

I'm 5'8" and ride it sometimes and it is a hoot, but I'm cramped on it so don't ride it too long. Of course the problem is the next bike up is a full size, whether that's a 125, 200, 250, etc. You could pick up a 125 pretty cheaply and add a flywheel weight, torque pipe, etc. to it. A better choice would be to get a KDX 200 or 220 since they can be had used in your price range, are much milder than the MX bikes, and are very reliable. Plus, if you get them used they'll often have some nice aftermarket goodies like new pipe, handguards, skid plate, etc.

nmerloy

Jun 22, 2007
I might have the bike you are looking for. I have a 2002 kx 125 and its in great shape. Im not asking a lot for it. For more details shoot me an e-mail at nmelroy@4netconnexcom

XMotoX

Oct 23, 2006
DougRoost said:
I'm 5'8" and ride it sometimes and it is a hoot, but I'm cramped on it so don't ride it too long. Of course the problem is the next bike up is a full size, whether that's a 125, 200, 250, etc. You could pick up a 125 pretty cheaply and add a flywheel weight, torque pipe, etc. to it. A better choice would be to get a KDX 200 or 220 since they can be had used in your price range, are much milder than the MX bikes, and are very reliable. Plus, if you get them used they'll often have some nice aftermarket goodies like new pipe, handguards, skid plate, etc.

If I went with a 125 two stroke and I put a flywheel weight on it and a torque pipe, would it be a decent trail bike? Or would the powerband still be pretty much off and on. The main reason I was looking at a KX100 was because I heard they had a broader powerband than an 85, and because it sat a little higher than an 85. I don't like the looks of the KDX because it weighs alot and another reason I want a two stroke is their light weight.

Again, I've never ridden a two stroke before, so i don't want to get a bike too powerful for me before I get more experience and confidence. Would a 125 kill me on the trails?

tyler_43

Jun 22, 2007
I'm about 5 foot 3, 120 pounds and I'm the perfect size for my KX100. I race harescrambles and motocross and it works extremely well for both. I've owned both a KX85 and the 100 and the 100 definetly has more power then the 85 (even dino readings say so), but I think you're a bit big for both of them. I'd definetly go for the 125. The KX125 has a really predictable powerband, and they're about 40 pounds less then the KDX200/220. As well, the bigger wheels of the 125 REALLY help in the trails. Flywheel weights are good, they will give the bike more torque, and make it a lot easier to control. Any 125 would do... I'd just pick whichever one you can find in decent shape that fits your budget :cool:

XMotoX

Oct 23, 2006
2 strokes for life said:
I third the KDX. Its not light but it makes nice smooth power easy to learn on and its easy to work on.
Yeah I read something about them having KIPS (Kawasaki Integrated Powervalve System) that allows the two stroke engine in the bike to make smooth power over a wide RPM range. Or something like that. That sounds cool because I was kind of cautious of getting a two stroke because I've heard an inexperienced rider hitting the powerband on a 2 stroke could cause you to eat dirt.

The only thing I don't like about the KDX is the weight. I wish there was someone around here who had one I could ride and try out.

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
Any relatively modern 2 stroke 125 will have a powervalve. Kawi just calls theirs KIPS. The big difference between the KDX and the 125 MX'ers is the porting, which is why the KDX's are so smooth and linear. The fact they're 200 or 220 cc also means they have more torque, which means they're harder to stall, another big benefit in the woods, when climbing hills, etc. The suspension is also softer sprung for woods riding compared to the 125 MX bikes, plus they have an 18" rear wheel (instead of 19"), spark arrestor, etc.

If you pick up a used KDX at a decent price you can ride it for a year and probably sell it for what you paid for it if you then decide you want more.

XMotoX

Oct 23, 2006
Cool man. The KDX sounds like a sweet bike. I really like the looks of a motocross bike, with the inverted forks in front and no headlights/taillights. But, I think I need to get over the looks and get what is practical. I think there is a KDX for sale on here anyway.

XMotoX

Oct 23, 2006
I'm liking the sound of the KDX more and more. It sounds like the perfect bike for me.

Here are some last questions I've got about the 200:

- Being a two stroke, but made for trails, can you lug around on them in low rpms and not worry about stalling or fouling a plug? Or do you have to keep them revved up in the high rpms like any other two stroke? How do the KDXs compare to riding a four stroke?

- How does the KDX200 compare to the XR250? Power wise.

kawicam250

I bleed green!
Aug 7, 2006
XMotoX said:
I'm liking the sound of the KDX more and more. It sounds like the perfect bike for me.

Here are some last questions I've got about the 200:

- Being a two stroke, but made for trails, can you lug around on them in low rpms and not worry about stalling or fouling a plug? Or do you have to keep them revved up in the high rpms like any other two stroke? How do the KDXs compare to riding a four stroke?

the KDX can still foul, but thats where jetting comes in, its almost like the smoothness of a 4T with the available power of a 2T. i would imagine that the KDX is very close in power to the XR250, but im not sure.

XMotoX

Oct 23, 2006
2 strokes for life said:
XMotoX, the KDX200 will out drag a XR250 because of its 6 speed gear box. I like the KDX because it feels alot lighter then the XR250.
So they are pretty much the same but the KDX has more top end speed? Cool. I was afraid that a 200cc two stroke would be scary quick because I'd never consider jumping on a 250 two stroke, and thats only 50cc more.

NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
XMotoX said:
I stepped off of a '96 XR250 that I rode for over a year to a '96 KDX200 that I ended up riding for about 6 years. During that time, I rode an XR250 again to refresh my memory. Powerwise, the XR has low end grunt and that's it. The KDX has good low end, good mid, and good top and if you put an FMF pipe on it, you'll get better mid-top. Put it this way- out in the woods, I had to clutch the XR to wheelie thru mud puddles in 1-2, no way in 3rd. The KDX would simply wheelie in 3-4th easily (but controllably). KDX200's are, IMHO, excellent trail bikes. Put stiffer front springs, a pipe, and 2-stage reeds and go riding.

The 250 2S is usually a MX bike and those are ported to be more aggressive. I also had a KTM200sx at the same time as the KDX and it was a much more aggressive 200cc. Still very controllable, though. Big diff between 200 and 250.

mudronin

Sep 21, 2006
I went from a klx 250r four stroke to my kdx 200 and love it! i have had mine for over a year now<also had a honda xr650l and currently have a ktm SXC 625> I owned both bikes at the same time and rode them often back to back as i was modding the kdx.

the KLX was noticabley heavier feeling though the scales only said about 9 pounds. I often ride my friends rm125 and my kdx is clearly heavier than his. my ktm weighs over 300 pounds and i can ride it pretty good off road.

this being said, of the latter 3 i would ride my kdx before any of them due to the 'feel' of the bike. Mine has FMF rev pipe boysen power reeds and rejetting to a 42 pilot and 155 main.

try the kdx. you will be impressed if it is set up right.

3rd or 4th gear no cluth wheelies? not mine even on race fuel but a quick clutch and we are talking!

NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
XMotoX said:
Thanks alot NM_KDX200. The KDX sounds like the perfect bike for me. I can't wait to find one around here.
I don't know why I didn't mention it the first time, but I had an '01 KX125 at the same time as I had the KDX. For trails and play riding, the KDX, no question. For track, the KX. I wouldn't want to ride the KX on trails- I suppose you could and lots of people do, but the KDX shines in the woods.

I also bought a KTM 200sx and had all 3 bikes- KX125, KDX200, KTM200sx- at the same time. The KTM could cover the ground of both the KDX and KX, but it has a really straight rear fender that I had trouble clearing and thus I wasn't real comfortable riding it in the woods. If it weren't for that, the KTM could be the do-it all bike. The SX isn't made anymore, but keep your eyes peeled for a XC or XC-W. If you look at one MAKE SURE the owner is running the chain loose as KTM's are prone to cracking around the countershaft sprocket if the chain is run too tight (mine was cracked and the previous owner tried to conceal it with JB Weld). My particular KTM was a little too thrashed when I bought it, otherwise I might still have it. I never really intended to sell both my KTM and KX, but buyers for both showed up at the same time, so I let 'em go and went new big blue 4S. KX, KDX, KTM, YZ...they're all good bikes! :ride:

Ryan314

Feb 4, 2007
XMotoX said:
I'm 5'8" and 145 lbs. I'm 16 yrs. old and I'm looking for a two stroke bike to learn to ride on. I've never ridden a two stroke before just small four strokes, and I've heard they can be a handful if you aren't experienced.

I want a 2 stroke because I can find them used all over for cheap. I've been looking at a KX100. I don't really want to jump right on a 125 because I'm not that experienced, and an 85 would be a tad small. I'd take an 85 but I've heard the KX100 is good for trails and woods riding. And thats mainly what I'll be riding.

Plus, like I said, I don't have any experience on a 2 stroke and I've heard the KX100 had a broader powerband so I won't wreck it as easy while I'm still learning.

Should I get a KX100 or start out on some 85?

I started out with a YZ 125 as my very first bike. Never rode a bike before in my life. I'm glad I started with it because you learn to ride so much better!

Top Bottom