Nbbd

Dec 23, 2003
Ive always wanted to get a dirt bike,and recently i got the money.Im not sure what kind of bike to get though.Im 6'1 240,Ive never ridden seriously before but I have ridden a few bikes.Im not gonna race seriously or anything,I just want something to screw around on with my friends.I was gonna get a yz125.My uncle use to have a rm250 and I remember it being really big.Im only 15 so im not looking to spend a ton of money.

Thanks in advance.

mxer842

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2003
xr250 or 400 sounds right up your alley, not much maintence if any and plenty of power to keep you smiles all day long,have fun on the new bike whatever you choose.

Nbbd

Dec 23, 2003
What would I be better to go with yz250 or tt-r250?Is there alot of diffenrence in the speed?I think im gonna go with a 250 since Im new and I dont want to kill my self.

Thanks.

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
The YZ is a race bike. Very powerful and not the best idea for a beginner. The TT-R would be more of what you'll need.

Dogman5

Jun 20, 2003
Originally posted by Nbbd
What would I be better to go with yz250 or tt-r250?Is there alot of diffenrence in the speed?I think im gonna go with a 250 since Im new and I dont want to kill my self.

Thanks.

err. whic 250? The TTR or the YZ? :p

And the YZ 250 will be a LOT more powerful than the TTR-250. A LOT!

I think that to properly determine the best bike for you, you need to tell us what type of riding you are going to be doing, and elaborate on just riding with friends. Height and weight wise, I would say you would be great on pretty much any full size bike. What kind of bikes do your friends ride? Have you ridden any of them, and if so which have you liked and disliked, and what have you liked and disliked about them?

Give us a good description of where you will be riding and how much of it. For instance, tight trails, mx tracks, dirt roads, construction sites, opened feilds/farms, vacant land, backyards, etc..

Nbbd

Dec 23, 2003
Im most likely going to be riding at tracks and maybe some trails by me.My friend and his dad share a rm125,both of them have never ridden before.My friends little brother has a kx85.My friend is smaller then me though.I rather buy a bike that has more power then I need and as I learn be able to ride the bike better.

Thanks.

mxer842

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2003
if you'll be on tracks then one of the new 250four-strokes would be your best bet and since you dont have much money then look at a '01 yz250f those are getting pretty cheap these days.

Nbbd

Dec 23, 2003
What are the difference's between the yz250 and the yz250f besides the yz260f being a 4 stroke.

Thanks.

Y2Z

~SPONSOR~
Apr 6, 2002
the 250f races in the 125 class, a racing 4 stroke needs double the engine size to amount to the 2 stroke. i think you should pick up an XR400, im 150, 15 and my 02 125 is not enough speed for me now and me buddy (weighs 250) says it feels way to slow, ide say pick up and older XR400 and move up from there.

C

CaNaDiAn,Eh?

An awesome bike is the kawasaki KDX 200 / 220. Those bikes rip. They are good for beginners but once they have some mods they are unbelievable. They are two stroke bikes with almost 4 stroke like power.

Nbbd

Dec 23, 2003
Im down to either a 250 motocross bike(most likely a yz250) or a xr400.Wich one has more power and wich one is faster? Thanks.

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
Power and speed isn't everything. The KDX or an XR are comparable power wise and are tamer than a MXer. Both can kick butt when moded too. Another good pick is a KTM EXC. There's not much reason in getting a 250 MXer if you are trail riding especially a YZ or CR. They are top end kings. The KX and RM are low to mid range hitters. A WR is simular to a YZF but is ported for trail power. Forget the TTR its a wimpy play bike and don't even bring up the XT. You have to know about the bike to make a choice and the best thing you can do is ride a few of them. See if you like 2 stroke or four stroke. A KDX or EXC is as good as a beginner as any 4 stroke. A 250 MXer isn't a screw around bike; its a rip your arms off bike.

Oh yeah, a YZ250 has more power than a XR400. A YZ250 MIGHT go faster than a XR400 but you might wet yourself before you see it. A bike can be moded and it depends if the bike is uncorked. My guess for the top speed for the 250 is upper 70's to lower 80's. A XR can top that considering its an common DSer(and my dads DR350 goes 90). A KDX just does 70. I don't think you'll be worrying about going 80mph. I'm 13 and the KDX is plenty for me.

Top Bottom