NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
I have a '96 KDX200 with modified suspension, FMF pipe, WER damper, extremely well maintained, etc. I love it. Great bike, great handling, I have NO complaints!!! NONE!!!

Unfortunately, I'm being tempted by 2002 KTM 200 EXC that's about 300 miles away (an easy drive out here in the west and right next door to a good friend who I need to visit) for about $2400, in excellent condition.

The temptation is to "upgrade" from a 1996 to a 2002 and experience The Great Pumpkin at the same time. But, I don't race, I just play ride and the KDX is absolutely perfect for me. But still....it's tempting. The BIG question is, does a 43-year old man (that would be me) NEED a faster bike? i typically ride with my daughter on her Suzuki JR80 and she can't keep up as it is. So why do I need a faster bike?? What I really oughta do is get a KX100 or XR150 for me and let her grown into.....

Talk me out of this temptation. Someone just slap me and say "No!!!!". C'mon!!!

L

LukeRips

That's not even a fair comparison, the 02 Katoom will feel like a 250SX compared the your KDX but It's not only about faster but easier to rip on. For woods riding you'll love the Katoom. I've been a Kawasaki rider for 21 years and a sponsored rider for about half of that. I'm not ashamed to admit I love the 200 exc for race conditions. The KDX is a Jack-of-all-trades but a master of none. Since your not racing and just riding either one will fit the bill. One thing to keep in mind is that the KDX is also bulletproof, the KTM however will require more maintenance than puttting the kickstand down and turning the gas off.

So, If your ready for more bike responsibility and power I say step up to the 200E/XC. This will definitely spark a huge debate as this topic has been explored to death in previous threads. You may also want to search for a few of those and research it a little.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
I agree with LukeRips. I just went to a GasGas EC200, which is a direct competitor with the KTM200EXC. I think you'd like your KDX more than the KTM.

NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
LukeRips said:
One thing to keep in mind is that the KDX is also bulletproof, the KTM however will require more maintenance than puttting the kickstand down and turning the gas off.

So, If your ready for more bike responsibility and power I say step up to the 200E/XC. This will definitely spark a huge debate as this topic has been explored to death in previous threads. You may also want to search for a few of those and research it a little.

I've done the research and I've been on this forum for a couple of years and read with interest all the KTM vs. KDX threads. So, 1/2 of me would like to get the KTM and ride faster for a couple of years while I still can, the other 1/2 of me says that I'm definitely going to get hurt doing that.

Your point on the bulletproofness of the KDX is a very strong point for sticking with green. I live a ranch WAY out here in NM and reliability is my #1 concern. I have 3 ranch pickups, a backhoe, a dump truck, a tractor, 2 ATV's, 3 motorcycles, 2 horses, a personal vehicle, 7 trailers of various kinds, 2 pipelines, 8 windmills, 2 generators, 5 bicycles, 70 miles of fence, and 3 kids to maintain, and when I have time for a bike ride the LAST thing I want to do is work on the thing. The KDX has been absolutely fantastic in that regards and I'm not sure I want to tinker with success.

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
"SLAP" "NO".
The thing about buying a new bike is finding out all its quirks & problems. You've got a bike that you're happy with, except you're going through the old bike envy thing.
Can you ride the kdx flat out everywhere? No? Ya don't need a katoomer.
Go check out the bike while you're visiting your mate (what the hell have you got to lose?) and make the pain even worse ;)
Hmm, you don't mention a wife to maintain? How about you buy the exc & give her your kdx & then both be happy? Maybe you need a spare bike for friends? Ah hell, don't ask bike nuts for help. I've got a bike I should be selling but a friend mentioned being interested in it in October (g/f's birthday), so naturally I'm holding on a little bit longer to decide.
Good luck in your decision & have fun riding :)

NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
Michelle said:
"SLAP" "NO".

Oh, thank you!!!

Michelle said:
You've got a bike that you're happy with, except you're going through the old bike envy thing.

Nailed it.

Michelle said:
Go check out the bike while you're visiting your mate (what the hell have you got to lose?)

It's on ABCDbay and ends tomorrow. Search for 2002 KTM and you'll find it. Maybe someone else will buy it and spare me the decision.

Michelle said:
Hmm, you don't mention a wife to maintain? How about you buy the exc & give her your kdx & then both be happy?

The KDX is WAY too tall for her. Like I said above, what I should do is get an XR100 or CRF150. I could have lots of fun riding that round a small 50/80 track and then use the KDX for real riding. Plus, when my daughter outgrows her JR80, she'd have the XR/CRF to grow into. That makes a lot more sense to me.

RBSOB

Jun 24, 2004
"3 pickups, 2 atvs, 3 motorcycles....." what the heck, 1 more cylinder, 2 more wheels...grab that KTM and thin out some of the rest of the "fleet"!!!! My .02, have fun, Jim G

Tom L

Dec 18, 2004
With an fmf rev pipe and carbon fiber reeds my kdx220 wasted a stock 200exc!!! I rode the exc and it had about the same mid-range power. But my 220 had WAY more low end and alot more top end rev. Plus a much softer seat, which I really love!!! I wouldn't buy orange unless it was a 300exc.

Tom L

Dec 18, 2004
Oh yeah, I forgot. I'd buy a couple cans of spray paint to cover that horrible ugly orange color. I mean "ORANGE!!!???" What the hell were they thinking??? Like "What is the Butt - Ugliest color we could go with.......I got it!!!.....Let's go with Spagetti-PUKE-Orange!!!! That'll catch some attention!!!

NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
Well, I think the urge has passed. Instead of spending $2400 on a bike that I don't know if I'll like, I think I'll just spend $300 and get a Pro Circuit pipe (I have an FMF K-30 right now) and some new reeds. Then when I feel like I need a new bike, I'll just go switch pipes (and have one to use while the other is being de-dented). What I really need to do is send my suspension off for some re-bushing and have it lowered 1" while it's out.....

Still Green!!!

L

LukeRips

Tom L said:
With an fmf rev pipe and carbon fiber reeds my kdx220 wasted a stock 200exc!!! I rode the exc and it had about the same mid-range power. But my 220 had WAY more low end and alot more top end rev. Plus a much softer seat, which I really love!!! I wouldn't buy orange unless it was a 300exc.

See. I knew we'd see these posts. :bang: It was only a matter of time. This is always the argument "My KDX launches into a wheelie in second gear so that means that it has more low-end than a KTM". A 200 E/XC has a much more controlled low-end than a 220 that's been piped out. You really need both to be bone stock with comparable riders for a good test. It's also not only about power but about the details like hydraulic clutches, suspension (Kawasaki conventional doesn't even compare to wp suspension), etc...

matt-itude

Jul 6, 2004
The KTMs were pretty tempting when I got my bike. However my KDX was paid fore when I bought it. 2003 new in 2004 $3800 out the door. Lets see that leaves me with how many $$$$ for other stuff.

sledman

Oct 23, 2002
Tom L said:

I would certainly hope that a MODIFIED, larger displacement 2-stroke would beat a STOCK, smaller displacement 2-stroke. I can tell you for sure though, that you would be faster on the stock KTM. That bike handles much better, and has a far superior suspension. And with a couple of minor modifications, it will give most 250's a run for their money. I had a modified '03 KDX220 that I bought new. After only 2-1/2 months of owning it, I sold it to buy a new KTM. It took one ride on a KTM 200 (that was stock), and I switched. I didn't buy the 200 though, I bought a 300. And talk about being bullet proof, the KTMs are a very low maintenance bike, with few problems. That being said, we just bought a new "left over" '03 KDX220 (yeah, I know, shoulda kept my old one for her) for my wife. We are lowering it 3-1/2 inches, and throwing a set of "good" bars on it. After she gets used to it a little, it will get a PC pipe and a set of Carbon Tech low tension reeds. The KTMs are great, but there is a lot more to lowering a KTM 200, and we just couldn't beat the price we paid for the KDX.......

roostbait

Apr 20, 2005
I'm 50 years old. Switched from an XR 650 to a KTM 525 EXC and loving every minute of it. The KTM gets me out of trouble I'd never get into with the Honda. Motorcycles have often been about rationalizations, seldom about rationality.

redramhemi

Jan 27, 2004
I had the opportunity to ride a 450 exc today at a demo ride around a 1 mile harescramble type of track, the bike absolutely ripped, but I could not get comfortable on it at all, and ended up in the trees on a 400 exc. I like the fit and finish of KTM, but I will never buy a 4 stroke because I hate the flat power band. I took my kdx out within 1/2 hour of the KTM rides and I felt twice as fast. I guess its all on comfort of the bike, not the color of it

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
I think I cna help you with this. Obviously, the KTM might be amore serious racign type bike. BUT, try this experiment.

Walk up to the KTM parts counter and ask for a piston for a 98 KTM...any size.....and see what happens.

Unless your going to trade the bike every two years, you will realize why you want the KDX.

Top Bottom