mathd

Oct 11, 2008
ok, there we go the bike seem dead. ill explain what went wrong.
i went to trail today, and after i while, i got wide open on it and it started to lack alot of power and it stopped there.

i pulled the plug out and the end of the plug was melted off.
i put a new plug, it dont whant to start at all, even if i try to push start it.. dosent work. it spark but dosent rev then die.
So i pushed it back home for a long 2 hour am half dead right now ****.

think the top end was done or it could be a jetting problem that seized it?

thanks.

slodad

Sep 4, 2005
Does it have fuel? Melted spark plugs are never a good sign. You probably did kill it. You're going to have to pull the top end to see what the damage was.

TRexRacing

Jul 23, 2002
yep pulling the top end is in the future for you.Looks like a dead one from here.As to why it's dead I haven't clue why it melted the plug.That's usually runaway detonation into preignition.Timing is a guess but have you messed with the timing at all?On a bike that old it could be many things.Crank seal leak,intake leak or jetting if you messed with it.

mathd

Oct 11, 2008
it dosent have compression anymore.
am gonna check the top end in the next day. i cant because am sick right now.

it do have fuel in it.

i didnt mess with igniton timing, and i didnt mess with the jetting but the previous owner the last summer told me it was not jetted right.. but it was running fine to me.

today was a bit colder that what i used to ride at and i ran it at 40:1, usually i premix at 32:1 or 35:1. dont know if that could be it.

i will take it apart and see what the damage are and then i try to find what caused it. I wish once apart it will be easy to know what caused it.

the melted spark plug is not a good sign :(

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Sounds to me like it got really hot. Is there coolant in it? Is the water pump working? Radiators smashed?

What prompted the oil ratio change? I doubt that is what caused it but it certainly didn't help.

Once you get the engine rebuilt go up a few sixes on the main and get on the jetting IMMEDIATELY. I would have expected a more dramatic seizure if it was simply too lean, but you need to know for sure that the engine is getting enough lubrication.

mathd

Oct 11, 2008
yeah it got really hot.
actually when ichanged the plug i did notice that the pipe and head was hot more thant it used to be.
there is coolant in it, but i dont know if the waterpump work, or how to test it.

radiator arent smashed, not more thant they was the previous summer where it worked well.

i changed oil ratio because i use ipone and on the bottle it is write to use 50:1, so i trough i could get it to 40:1 could be great. There is a little bit of oil at the end of the silencer, i can tell it was lubricated enough this way?

i started to take it apart tonight and when i remove the airbox from the carb i did notice that the screw holding the clamp was loose. could this cause an air leak bad enough to do that?

thanks you for the help :)

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Who knows? I can't tell from here. At this point you might as well tear it down and start a close inspection of everything.

What is "ipone" oil?

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
As for the water pump, a visual inspection of the impeller and drive system will let you know if it's working.

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
_JOE_ said:
What is "ipone" oil?
ipone is a european brand of oil... i think is french...
used to be one of the main sponsors of the world supermoto championship...
you guys only follow your own championship!!! :nener: :fft:

as for the bike, the loose clamp let dirt in the carb if it´s the filter side or suck air if it´s on the engine side... either, is not good!
keep in mind that some oils are not compatible.
colder weather demands more gas (not oil), together with a dirt carb or air leak in a long, wide open throttle straight is enough to do that.

mathd

Oct 11, 2008
ipone oil image
i dont know if it is french or euro really, i use that because its what the previous owner was using and the shop said it was the best oil around. am not french but french canadian.. from quebec.

I will tear down the water pump and check at it like said.
I will also tear down the carb to clean/inspect it and ill make sure the filter side clamp are not loose when i put it back together.

Thanks you again :)

mathd

Oct 11, 2008
ok, i checked the water pump, and it is good.
the piston is melted on the exhaust side so i guess it was too lean/air leak?

i guess it is the carb or the left side crank seal.
i checked it the carb and the main jet is 10 size bigger that factory.
needle is set on the rich side too.

Is there any cheap/at home way to tell if the crank seal is leaking?

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
yes... pull the magneto and stator and see if it´s leaking... you will need a magneto puller for the job, but it is quite cheap and will work on a lot of bikes.
a service manual will be great.
check the packing in the silencer also, too much back pressure can cause a lot of heat in the piston.
good luck

Top Bottom