Snaggles

Aug 16, 2007
My bike is very hard to kick start all the sudden and when it DOES start, it stalls immediately unless you rev it hard over and over again. Obviously something I don't want to do. I just got a new spark plug for it which helped a previous problem of power loss and throttle break-up, and then it just gradually crapped out on me. I don't think I put the right kind of plug in it, but I'm determined to get the right kind and put it in and see if it helps. I really don't think that's the only problem though. Sometimes, when I kick it, it kind of gasps and sounds like it's hacking something up. It's a very dry, airy sound, it's pretty loud too. I was told by a friend who races and is a certified technician that it would need gaskets and a new piston and lots of expensive things. Can someone tell me what I need for certain?

j.lawson

Jul 18, 2007
First, always, always make sure your running the right plug, different plugs are different lengths and heat ranges, ect..

As far as your problem, your gonna get an array of answers probly, maybe not? Check your reeds, check your spark, check your carb and air filter, simple things first.
Also more info about the bike would be nice, any new mods?
how long on this top end? old gas? ect...

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
I run a BR9EG or BR8EG in my CR125..

Like Lawson said, start with that.

Then I'd check the topend, sounds like it may be time for some work. It's not really that expensive. If you can't afford to fix your bike when it needs topend work, you probably need a cheaper hobby.

Snaggles

Aug 16, 2007
Yeah I'm getting the right plugs for sure today. Gonna try 2 different suggested heats (br8eg, br9eg). Cleaned out the airbox, I think it might need fresh oil or something, last top end was.... last fall I think... fall or spring. About a year give or take. :think:

I haven't used any old gas but I think the tank in it is pretty old now, since I gave up running it after the idle and stuff got worse.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
I use new gas every ride.. what doesn't get used that weekend, goes in the truck. If you use new gas, from a reliable source every time, you can almost always rule that out as a source of problems.

Snaggles

Aug 16, 2007
Last time my top end was like $400 and they didn't do a great job on it. I think there were some front brake pads associated with that though, too, so it was probly around $300. I don't have the skills to DIY it.

And I don't have near that much money either, I don't have a job.

Snaggles

Aug 16, 2007
Well my gas is usually a week old at the oldest, I go through it pretty fast. I mix, fix, and ride all in my backyard. I have a bit of land.

Snaggles

Aug 16, 2007
Well my mom got me a spark plug today but she got this "Autolite" 4603 or something. Apparently the guy said is the same one. I don't know if I want to put it in my bike or what....

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Snaggles said:
Well my mom got me a spark plug today but she got this "Autolite" 4603 or something. Apparently the guy said is the same one. I don't know if I want to put it in my bike or what....

Hmm.. It might be the same, but I wouldn't run it.. I only run NGK...

Snaggles

Aug 16, 2007
Well apparently it's the same one, just cross-referenced or something. Not sure. It seemed to fit in fine until it was about a half inch short and done turning. That made it run like 10 times better but it still has massive power loss and it won't idle. The whole thing doesn't feel like it used to. It revs a little different when I shift. I can't quite place it but it's just not the same as it should be. Maybe I'll just get some kind of tune-up and see what happens.

Top Bottom