shawn10ski

Apr 6, 2006
Alright, I am losing my mind. My 87 KDX 200 has had this oil leak since I got it from my dad last summer. It LOOKED like it was coming form the countershaft seal. I replaced that last summer. It still leaked, from around the same area. Last night I replaced the seal that goes around the shifter shaft coming out of the case. This morning I looked in the garage and there is FRESH oil on the floor. I didn't have time to try and see where the leak was again, but it can't be coming from either of those two places. What is it that I am missing? This and my throttle cable are the last two issues on this bike. I NEED to fix this oil leak. Anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Shawn

shawn10ski

Apr 6, 2006
Oh the shaft is STRIPPED, I already knew that going in, but that's just the outside where the shift level connects, that shouldn't effect the oil coming out of the case should it?

muddertrucker

Aug 24, 2006
Same thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago. The oil on my bike was coming from in between the new seal and the case. I just added a dab of high temp silicone around the outer edge of the seal. I hate doing that sort of thing but workes ok for now.

mxdj666

Apr 1, 2007
when you insatlled your new countershaft seal did you check to make sure there was an oring behind the spacer that goes into the seal. there is a little thin oring that goes in there if its not there oil will still leak out

G. Gearloose

Pigment of ur imagination
Jul 24, 2000
Also one side of the CS bushing is chamfered to compress the o-ring.

If the sprocket is sloppy and of inadequate cross section thickness, the whole assembly fails to compress the oring and seal the CS.

shawn10ski

Apr 6, 2006
mxdj666 said:
when you insatlled your new countershaft seal did you check to make sure there was an oring behind the spacer that goes into the seal. there is a little thin oring that goes in there if its not there oil will still leak out

Shoot, I don't remember an o-ring being in there when I put it back. Well, at least I know what I have to do now. Its gotta be the countershaft seal. Thanks guys.

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
Look on the parts diagrams on the buykawsaki.com site. It will show the collar and o-ring. I would imagine that after 20 years, the collar has a groove worn in it. Consider replacing the collar and the o-ring.

G. Gearloose, on the 1987 KDX200, the collar is not chamfered on one side, like the 1989 and newer models. It just has a straight edge.

Top Bottom