help needed on KTM 380 powervalve

andrew

Aug 7, 1999
Hi everyone,
I'm looking after my mate's '97 380 EGS for 6 months while he is overseas. I took the pipe off this evening to reseal the header (oil and smoke leaks) and whilst there decided to check that the powervalves were working correctly.

I have both PV side covers off and the arm on the RHS disconnected. I felt I should be able to turn the PV by hand quite easily at this stage, but it is very stiff. Are they normally stiff to move (disconnected from the centrifical spring), or does it need a clean? I am surprised by this 'cause he just got the barrel replated a short time ago and has done bugger all riding on it - it's barely run in ! Surely the PV would have been dismantled and cleaned at the same time?!

If I need to dismantle it, is it a simple job or do you recommend a parts diagram? Have worked on KDX PV no probs, but never done a KTM before.

Also, the small cog on each end of the main shaft that crosses the barrel appears to be spot welded to the shaft. It's a neat job - looks factory done but can't be sure. Seems strange to me.

Any and all advice surely appreciated.

Cheers,
Andrew

PS this bike is a bitch to start, and not just because of the compression! Would stuck PV's help cause this? It seems to start easier when cold than when hot. Have stripped and cleaned the carby - no change, and the idle screw is almost all the way in to idle! Just checked the reeds - a slight gap so I flipped them over, but haven't had a chance to try it yet 'cause I got stuck into the exhaust leak.

Andrew

fuzz

Nov 27, 2000
The power valves are pretty sticky with everything brand new. I couldn't say for sure that is ok. The starting thing.....too tough to tell with out being there.

andrew

Aug 7, 1999
Fuzz, thanks for the reply. I am used to my KDX valves that move very freely by hand, but if you reckon they can be a bit sticky maybe I'll reassemble it without a strip 'n clean.

Cheers mate,
Andrew

Top Bottom