greaser

Mar 7, 2002
Hey experts !!!!,

I have a 96 model CR80 with some form of showa USD forks.
They look like twin chambers that I have had on my 00cr250
and my 03 450.
I loosened up the top cap , and loosened the bottom nut.
Heres my problem......when I get the top cap unscrewed from the fork upper tube , the bottom nut just keeps on spinning and won't unscrew from the bottom fork leg.
Any suggestions ?????
After this step on the big bikes, the bottom nut usually comes out an inch or two, and you take the nut off with an open end wrench and then the forks can come apart .

thanks for the help
donnie

terry hay

Nov 8, 2003
Donnie
You've hit the jackpot! The early CR80s and XR400s can be the worst forks to get apart. The problem you are having is that the cartridge is spinning inside the tube, not allowing the compression bolt to undo. (I'm presuming you don't have an air impact gun or a cartridge holding tool). Close the forks back up, turn them upside down and and find an old socket of correct size that you don't mind getting a little brutal with. Place the socket over the compression bolt and strike it sharply with a hammer. This will shock the threads and make the bolt easier to undo. Have some one compress the fork while you turn the comp bolt with a wrench. The spring pressure will assist in holding the cartridge whilst you remove the bolt. Once you have the bolt out you can continue with your disassembly. If this fails, take the forks to someone with an air impact wrench. It could save you a lot of effort. Good Luck!
Regards
Terry Hay

greaser

Mar 7, 2002
Thanks alot , Terry.

I will try that, sounds like a good plan.
I was thinking I had inadvertantly messed something up with out even trying.

see ya
donnie

greaser

Mar 7, 2002
I got the fork tubes apart (yea !!!!! ). But the cartridge is still in the bottom fork tube attached to the bottom nut. No hammer hit or tightening or loosening wtih an air impact gun did convince them to come apart.
So I took the top cap off of the cartridge tube and the spring and cartridge rod came on out.
So I can change the fork seals. But I am keeping my fingers crossed on the bottom nut tightening back up.
Any clues on how much fork oil goes in each leg , for the standard settings ???

see ya
dp

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom