jum17

Aug 30, 2007
Hi, I am 15 years old, 5 ft 10 and 155lbs. I have a tiny bit of expierence and am looking for a used bike. I will mostly be riding trail. I dont want to spend too much money. $1000? I dont know what that could get me and my parents deffinatly arent gonna help, so please dont tell me to get some $2000 bike. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:

jum17

Aug 30, 2007
_JOE_ said:
Good luck.

I cant tell if youre saying $700 is nowhere near enough money or if youre just saying good luck. But I guess my limits around $1000 +/- some if that helps me any.

mdkuder

Who me?
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 4, 2001
Yeah, that's not much money but it's possible.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
mdkuder said:
Yeah, that's not much money but it's possible.

That's what I meant. Hard to find something that won't need some fixin for that kinda money. Maybe an early to mid 90s trail bike? Or if you're really lucky maybe something nicer. There is a 89 kx500 in my local paper for 900 right now :boss:

jum17

Aug 30, 2007
Thanks for all the help guys. I found a '93 RM125 asking $900, is that about the right price? And I also found a nice looking 2000 TTR 225 asking $1100 and a '93 YZ 250 asking $1000 and I was wondering witch of the 3 would be better for the money, and fit me best?

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Sizewise, any would be ok but the ttr is the smallest. The ttr will be least expensive to keep up, and being 7 years newer I would go that way.

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
The TTR-225 will be the smallest one of the group. Easiest to learn on and get used to.. It is a 4-stroke and little maintenence needed.. (you didnt fill out the forum thingey so i cant reccomend which one for you would be best..)

The RM125 would be the next step up. Being a 2-stroke it would offer more power, and a little more difficult to ride. BUT in the long run it will make you a better rider for when you move up to another bike in X amount of years.. Low on maintence

Then The YZ250 Most powerfull bike in the list. 2-stroke. fast as Hell... NOT the best bike for a beginner.. And if you bought this... well you would proebebley hurt yourself.. Low on maintence..

So you decide which is best.. Best condition.. etc.. I personally thingk you should get the RM125.. May take a little longer to get used to but it will make you a better rider and you will last longer on it..

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Niether the rm or yz is by any means low on maintenance. If you want to ride it, and put it away and forget about it, get the ttr.

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
_JOE_ said:
Niether the rm or yz is by any means low on maintenance. If you want to ride it, and put it away and forget about it, get the ttr.

There not high maintence either...

clean/replace the air filter... Wash off dirt.. Change spark plug... mix oil/gas.. and jetting and the bi-yearly piston replacment (unless you race or ride really hard..) or want to be carefull you can replace it every season or year...

now its not ALOT of maintence.. its not maintence free is just not alot.. you can do it in like 20min (unless your doing a top end)

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Moparman1539 said:
There not high maintence either...

clean/replace the air filter... Wash off dirt.. Change spark plug... mix oil/gas.. and jetting and the bi-yearly piston replacment (unless you race or ride really hard..) or want to be carefull you can replace it every season or year...

now its not ALOT of maintence.. its not maintence free is just not alot.. you can do it in like 20min (unless your doing a top end)
You'll spend 20 min cleaning the air filter.

Top Bottom