cramil

Jun 17, 2007
Hey all I am new to the forums and looking for advise on a bike for my son. per the guidlines here's his info

1) your physical size (both height and weight are important) 4'-10" and 115lbs, about 25" inseam
2) How physical / aggressive are you ? Beginner, but probably not too aggressive (yet)
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ????? He will be riding with me on trails, but probably on MX tracks too.
4) Do you have any riding experience? He has none
5) Do you think you will race ? He might, we watched some MX and he liked it.
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work? I am and wouldn't have a problem doing most anything my tools allow me to.
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? leaning toward 4st (predictable??) not for sure though. Really not stuck on brand.
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? Yes, most major brands are not too far away.
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike? $1000-$1500 likely on a used bike.
10) Do you live in California? no
11) Your age? He is 11 almost 12
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion. Mostly concerned he will grow out of what we get quickly so was thinking on the upper end of the spectrum AFA size, but worried about him starting out with too much power. I haven't rode in ~15 yrs and am looking at a dual sport I can ride on dirt with him and street too, possibly some adventure riding(DRZ-400, DR650, KLR650 or the like)

Thanks for your help on this.

150rguy

I got fat bars!
Dec 21, 2006
Probably a RM85 or KX85. Those 85's because they have more low end power and easier to ride than the CR or YZ. They are also good on MX tracks, or trails or if he wanted to start racing after a while.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
150rguy said:
Probably a RM85 or KX85. Those 85's because they have more low end power and easier to ride than the CR or YZ. They are also good on MX tracks, or trails or if he wanted to start racing after a while.
uh, did you read what the guy said?
cramil said:
7) Do YOU have a preference to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? leaning toward 4st (predictable??) not for sure though. Really not stuck on brand.
I'd look into a KLX or TTR110 if you doubt the boy's clutch skills. The next step would be an XR/CRF80 or 100, which you can probably pick up an older one pretty cheap. Then there's the TTR/DRZ/KLX 125's or a CRF150F, but you're looking at a bit taller seat height on those bikes, along with learning the clutch.

If the kid takes to it quick, you can probably get what you got into any of those bikes and try a 2-stroke 85.

cramil

Jun 17, 2007
Thanks for all the input. We did look at 1 or 2 DRZ125s '02 or '03 I think and they were just a bit to tall but something like that might work. Am I right in assuming that there is some ride height adjustability in the rear spring on most bikes? I like the idea of starting him with a clutch too I mean he is almost 12 so It shouldn't take hiim too long to figure it out. I wasn't too impressed with the overall quality of components on the smaller non CR/KX/RM etc bikes ie drum brakes front and rear and very small forks.

mox69

Mar 26, 2007
If you want the top quality suspension, brakes, etc. you will more than likely have to get a CR,RM,YZ or KX. If your kid is really serious and you really want a 4t, you might want to look at a CR150f. I would recommend against this bike for various reasons, in cluding price, availability, newness (1st year on the market).

Personally I would pick up an 85cc 2t. Easy to work on, parts readily available and fairly good resale value. Just explain to him that this is a racing bike and not to be taken lightly.

If you don't have a bike yet you might want to consider looking at a 250 4t. They are easier to handle and a great "restarter bike." This way in 3-4 years you can plop your son down on the 250 4t and get something bigger when your ready to upgrade.

EDIT: I meant to say CR150R, like CR150R said below.

Last edited:

150rguy

I got fat bars!
Dec 21, 2006
mox69 said:
If you want the top quality suspension, brakes, etc. you will more than likely have to get a CR,RM,YZ or KX. If your kid is really serious and you really want a 4t, you might want to look at a CR150f. I would recommend against this bike for various reasons, in cluding price, availability, newness (1st year on the market).
No, the CRF150F Has been on the market like 4 years. The CRF150R Is the race bike that just came out. It's expensive for a first bike. Like 4300 or something like that. I would recomend a ttr/klx/drz 125. Then if he liked dirt biking and wanted to race, you could switvh to an 85 or a 150.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
If the DRZ125 is too tall you could cut the seat foam, that goes for any bike though. The little XR80/100 would be a great choice, the last forever and chances are you won't lose $100 if you buy a used one smart and sell it in a year. The TTR125 is a good bike as well and can be had in big wheeled versions if necessary. Learning on a 2 stroke racer for a kid that isn't aggressive would be nothing but frustration for both of you. Get a good solid used 4 stroke beginner bike and sell it if riding sticks and he wan't to be more aggressive.

As far as a trials bike, I wouldn't start a kid out on one if you don't ride trials. It's a different type of riding that somebody the child rides with needs to be able to transfer over. Sitting and riding is difficult enough for most newbies, standing only compounds the problem for most. At his size if you chose to go that route you'd need to look at a full size bike anyway. My son rode my 315R just fine when he was 10 and about 4'-8" so size on a trials bike is a totally different thing.

Jan 3, 2007
Patman, i was gut thinking that the way most kids accelorate at mountain biking or any fourm of biking would make the transition from pedal to motor easy. Its just a faze i am going through that trials is this cool new thing i like. I am starting on my mountain bike and really like it but i like dirtbiking more so i figure a trials bike with a motor would be even better. Maby just a XR100 with some mods would do the trick. I have a friend that rides a XR80 in the 80 class and dose well with it. He won a race last year on it.

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
Any 80/85cc 2-stroke will do. it will be fast at first but he will get used to it, and eventually grow into it and be pleased with it for awhile.

But if you wanted to go 4-stroke get a CRF150/ TTR-125 or anything along those lines will do.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
2sfl nothing wrong with trials, I love it and miss my 315R badly. It's a great way to build mad skills and make your riding buddies thing you have antigravity powers but it takes practice and instruction from a skilled rider. I was fortunate to have several VERY skilled teachers try to teach me (Gary Jackson, Leo Ahern and Ray Peters). I'm still not great, maybe barely good but I love it. Just trying to stick a mom-aggressive, newbie rider in to it would be difficult for both kid and parent.

Top Bottom