HELP Please another NEWBIE stupid question

Beanz34

Feb 25, 2006
:aj: Hi Guys'n Gals .... As a newbie to rebuilding and actually looking after my bike for a change... I have a few stupid questions, (I don't have a manual or anything yet but have ordered one), Doing a top end rebuild, wheel bearings and chain and sprockets.

# 1 : how much oil do I put in,
I have drained the oil and gearbox oil ... are there 2 types of oil to replace or do I just top it up with gear oil????
#2 : how do i get the wheel bearings out without damaging the wheels??

Thanks in advance guys

TimberPig

Jan 19, 2006
Since you don't say what bike, I'll assume it is the 125 SX you have listed. For that, simply refill the gearbox with the recommended quantity of the recommended oil. The quantity is normally stamped near the oil fill on the case. The only ones with separate gearbox and engine oil, are some of the newer 4 strokes. The engine on a 2 stroke has the lube supplied in the premixed fuel, or by an oil injector in some cases.

To change the wheel bearings, you support the wheel on some blocks of wood, and drive the bearings out with a hammer and a drift rod. Sounds kind of crude, but that how it is done. To seat the new bearings, gently tap them into the hub with a socket or bearing driver the same size as the outer race of the bearing. Be sure to grease the bearings and spacer as you are assembling it, to provide lube to the bearings. Then install the seal with the outer bearings well greased.

Top Bottom