js3350z

Dec 3, 2003
I have been considering getting a dirtbike for a little while now and I am just about able to !!!!! I need your guys opinions on what bike to get.

I will be 14 in a few months. I have never had a dirtbike, but I have ridden them. and I have quads (utility ones). I want a bike that I will be able to ride for a few years befor growing out of it. I have been looking at websites and went into a couple dealers but I don't know what is best for me. I want an off road motorcycle not a motorcross bike.

Thanks in advance for the help

js3350z

Dec 3, 2003
I was looking at bigger bikes because I want to beable to go a little faster then 40 MPH, but I really like the price tag on the KLX 110...

What little things can I do to make it preform better?

Thanks in advance for the help

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
You are way to big for that KLX 110, that bike is designed for kids a full foot shorter than you. At your size you might want to start looking for something along the lines of an XR200 to get you started in the sport.

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Are you wanting 2 or 4 stroke? Riding trails?
Have a look at the Suzuki DRZ250 (4stroke), Kawasaki KDX200/220 (2 stroke), Gas Gas Pampera (2 stroke, trials engine in an enduro frame), Honda CRF230 (4 stroke), Yamaha TTR250 (4 stroke).

You can lower all the bikes a little bit by shaving the seat foam. As you're only 14 you're going to grow. I'm 5'3" & ride a TTR125L & KDX200 - I find the TTR a little bit small, so you at 5''5" will outgrow it quickly. If you were willing to change-up again, I'd say look at the TTR/DRZ/KLX125/CRF150 range, but you've specified you want the bike for a couple of years and even if you find them perfect size for now, you'll quickly outgrow them.

The other thing is, do you want new or is 2nd hand okay? Personally, I'd look 2nd hand as you'll find deals. That also opens up the XR200 to consider, as it's been replaced by the CRF230.

Whatever you do, don't buy a bike that's the "right price", buy a bike that's the "right bike at the right price".
Good luck & let us know how it goes.
Michelle

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
I'm 13 and 5'6" and the KDX is a great choice. Easy to ride and handle. Oh and it goes way faster than 40. The KLX might go 25mph. The Pampera is a little tamer than the KDX but is a rare bike depending where you live. A XR is a nice beginner but you might want more bike when you get older but it is a easy trail bike to ride. You won't find any used CRF's. I don't think the 30cc's is worth it. It has E-start though. The DR-Z/KLX is more of a dual sport. The TT-R is a good trail bike and so is the WR but as a beginner you might want the tamer TT-R. I believe a 2 stroke makes a easier beginner bike but the TT-R and XR and good play bikes that are reliable(esp. the XR). These are good starters but if you don't plan to get a new bike down the road the KDX or a 200EXC will give you more power. Don't plan on racing these either. A KX100 makes a nice woods bike when ported and you can race it in a class.

js3350z

Dec 3, 2003
I have been looking at the yamaha ttr 125. All most all of the time will be in the woods, rideing trails. How would this be for me? I hope to be able "fit" on this bike for at least 2-3 years.

Thanks for the help

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
At 5'5" your too big for the TT-R 125 already nevermind in 2-3 years. My son had a TT-R 125L briefly and it was perfect when he was around 5'1". Best bet is to head down to the dealers and sit on a few if you can touch with anything more than your tippy toes then the bike is going to be too small in very short order unless you feel your already full grown.

Dogman5

Jun 20, 2003
Yes, going with one of those TTR/KLX/DRZ 125/XR100 deals might seem like a good idea at the time, but you will outgrow them rather quickly.

My advice: Try out a 2-stroke MX bike. You may say that you don't want one now, but 95% of my friends and everyone that lives here (we ride pretty wide trails, opened farms, dirt roads, construciton sites, and occasioanl tracks) all said that they didn't want 2-strokes at first until the first time they rode someone elses and experienced them for themselves. Within a matter of 6 months, nearly everyone down here has a 2-stroke MX bike now from 80s, 85s, 100s, to 125s.

I would look into getting something like an 80cc to 100cc 2-stroke. They are a lot of fun, and dispite what some people say, you really don't have to ride them specificly down at the tracks. If you get a Suzuki RM or Kawasaki KX, they have more low end power than the Yamaha YZ and Honda CRs, so they will be more suitible when it comes to trail riding. I have ridden both CR 85s, and KX 85s around trails and farms here and I can say that the KX would be my choice if I was getting one. So if you ever decided on a 2-stroke MX'er, I think you would do fine. I ride a KDX 200, which is also something I would DEFFINETLY look into if you think its something you would want. But the MSRP is 4,000$ - Around 1200$ more than the 85's. Its a little bigger than the others, but its not meant for jumping and lacks the suspension of the MX bikes. (however, the bike is very mod friendly for if you ever wanted to mod it into an mxer)

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
Jumping won't matter with the KDX. It will jump more than a 80 so you don't have to worry. It may not like it but it will.

D-man's right, after you have the 2 stroke you'll wish you never wanted the TT-R. I wanted one too but I got a RM when I was 5'2" or so. A 5'5" you may grow out of a 85 quick too so I'd look at a KX/RM100 or KDX. When you go to sit on the bikes don't worry if you can't touch on both sides. Thats the point; to get a bike you can grow into and last a while. As long as you can get of the bike w/o help and start it it's the right size. I'm 5'6" and the KDX fits me and my dad(6'1"). You can always adjust the forks and such. Plus all the trillions of mods for the KDX.

js3350z

Dec 3, 2003
i will look into the 2-strokes. I went to the dealer yesturday and I was tippy toed on the TTR-125. (wouldn't been able to touch on both sides if I didn't have my big snow boots on) I live in NJ (snow)

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
When you stop on a bike you leave one foot on the pegs and put the other on the ground. You'll grow in to the bike you get anyway. I have know idea how you tipy toed on a TT-R at 5'5". At 5'5" your really ready for a KX100 size wize but a 80 or 100 porbably won't last you 3 years. KTM and GasGas make a 125EXC/EC 2 stroke and that would have less power than a KDX for a beginner. But you will have a hard time finding a used one. Its really just a smaller bored 200EXC. Sit on some more bikes and ride one if you can.

Porstala F9

Jul 30, 2003
yea being tippy toed on the ttr doesent really make too much sense, but keep a couple things in mind:

with all bikes, the suspension has to break in and it will wear down a little smaller over time. plus, with motocross bikes after the suspension gets a chance to break in, those things sink down a lot. so if you go and sit on something lke a 100cc mxer, it will sink down quite a bit.

and also, size of the bike doesent matter to some people. I can take out my old XR-50 and still have a hell of a lot of fun on it, and one of my buddies is probably around 5'6 or so, 14 years old and hes on a YZ 125 which is a 39" seat height, which he even raised to even more, as he likes a big bike. So there are many people who can get used to any sized bike, so you will be fine if you are going to get something like an 80, and probably even ok for a 100 :)

js3350z

Dec 3, 2003
I just esimated my height I am not exactly sure, and it was the 125L that was pretty big.

I went to one of my friends and drove a ttr125 and it seemed like a good bike for me, then I went to the dealer and they let me sit on somemore bikes. I was on a 100 MX bike, and an 85 MX bike.

Thanks for everybody's help.

js3350z

Dec 3, 2003
sorry keep forgetting to say stuff (the thing won't let me edit, sorry)

Is $1800 for a 2002 new Yamaha TTR-125 a good price?

Porstala F9

Jul 30, 2003
Its a pretty good price, but keep it in very good condition so when you are ready to trade it in in a few months, you can get a good trade in value when you are ready to trade it in for an mxer ;)

Not to discourage you for getting the bike, I am sure you will have a lot of fun with it, but trust me, your going to outgrow it quickly. I am coming from an XR 80, and I am getting a KX 100 this christmas, so I am urging you to just skip over the 4-stroke trail bike. They are great beginner bikes, but if you get something like an 80 or 85, and even 100's, people learn on them just fine. They might seem a little scary at first, but they are just incredibly to drive them. ever since teh first person down here got a 2-stroke a cr85 everyone is dying for them. many have got them and never looked back. nothing rides like 2-strokes. for 1800$, you can probably find a very nice used 85, so look into it. :)

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
$1800 is a good price for almost new and never rode. You'll pay $2200 to $2500 for a 2004. Does it have E-start? I think all of them do. If it does I really don't think you should get it because you should start out on a bike that you can kick over your self and it just adds more weight. That way your not trying to kick a larger bike w/o any expirence. I'd get the L if possible too.

You said you sat on a 100 and 85 was it way to big or what? Where do you live? I'm in central Illinois and I have a '97 for $1300. 80's and other racing bike don't hold their value as much any more because every one assumes they are trashed(my Suzuki isn't). You can even find nice KX100 for under 1800 bucks if you go used a couple years.

js3350z

Dec 3, 2003
no, not electric start, it is year 2002 (brand new, never ridden)

I am in northern NJ.

They have a 2002 brand new 125L but it is $200 more...

The 100 was way to big, but the 85 was a good size. I just don't want to spend that much more to get a "motocross" bike because I will only be in the woods (no jumps)

I think the next bike I will get (in a couple of years) will be a KAWASAKI KDX (off-road 2-cycle) I just am to small for the 200 right now...

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
If the KDX is too big for you now thats the way to go. A used TT-R would save money since your only riding it for a few years. Either one with work(125 or 125L). If a nice used 80 comes up its not an oppertunity to miss. Grab it while you can. Going with the KDX is a good choice for the future unless you get into racing.
Good luck.

Top Bottom