HELP! Problem with rear brake Piston!!

ilikeriding

Jul 19, 2002
alright this bike (92 CR125) has been in storage for close to 2 years and I just recently bought a new clutch kit and rear brake rotor. so now I go and put on my rotor... no problem there... but when I get it all done and fixed :) the rear caliper's piston DOESN'T WORK! I mean you push down the pedal... NOTHING the piston doesn't BUDGE! :( Im pretty worried about this cuz im thinking it will be expensive. But all I have to do is get that to work and I'll have it up and running :) Help will be VERY appreciated! thank you

kciH

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 28, 2002
It could be that you somehow have lost fluid from your breaking system and that is the reason it doesn't work. If the bike has been sitting, your pistons in the caliper might be frozen as can happen. There is any number of things that can go wrong and none of them cost more than $50 and some elbow grease to alleviate. I'd check your fluid level first and go from there.

ilikeriding

Jul 19, 2002
oh its definitely got fluid. as a matter of fact i took the caliper off and it WAS frozen in the outter position (cuz i couldn't get my pads in) so i had to beat it in with a hammer and socket... its does seem like its frozen.. but i thought that it was just going to be hard to move it because its usually moved hydralicly. But how do i go about pulling it out and fixing this? do you think it'd take a new piston and o rings to let it slide better? ugh.. im irritated with this bike. i mean once we got it it just started to develop problems right after another. (i know i know, its an mx bike and it supposed to need maintenance and what not... but i've had bikes for quite a while and this one's just a lemon.) :(

kciH

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 28, 2002
There are one of two, or maybe two, problems. The one I would look at first would be the master cylinder, because even if the caliper is frozen the master cylinder should be able to push the piston out! I would buy a master cylinder rebuild kit which will cost you about $40-45. Honda p/n 43520-MJ6-305. The other thing you should do is remove the caliper from the bike and take the piston out and check them for wear and replace the seals and dust seals in the calipers if needed. The seals can be bought in a set for about $5. Honda p/n06431-MA3-405. If the piston is shot it will run you around $20-25, but I doubt that is bad unless you've had a lot of gunk in your brake system. The best way that I know of to get the piston out of the rear caliper, if the brake system will not push it out by just adding brake fluid to the system and pumping the pedal till it pops out (with the caliper removed and the pads removed), is to take the caliper completely off the swingarm and rotor and disconnect the brake line and push the piston out with air pressure from a compressor. You will need a air gun, parts cleaner type of deal with the rubber nozzle on it. You put a heavy towel over the piston and hold it with your hand and blow high pressure air from a compressor into the hole that the bolt that holds the brake line on came out of. Be very careful when doing this to somehow contain the brake piston, as it can become a projectile which will easily penetrate sheetrock/glass/other stuff you don't want broken. Once you get the piston out, remove the seal, and clean the grooves they came out of with break fluid and an old tooth brush. It is common to get some white mold type of stuff behind the seals. Clean the piston up with the same toothbrush and brake fluid, put the new seals into the caliper and rub a little fresh brake fluid on them and push the piston back into the caliper. Rebuild your master cylinder, this is pretty self explanatory, you just put it back together the way you took it apart. Keep an eye out for the white stuff I told you about earlier. If you decide to do this you should probably get some new copper washers at the same time you order your other stuff so you don't get everything done and then have it leak when you put it all together. The washers are honda p/n90545-300-000 and you'll need 4 of them, about $2. Oops, I almost forgot, make sure to flush the rear caliper out when you have the piston out to clear any foriegn material that may have worked it's way into the system. Don't forget to use some anti-sieze compound on your break pins when you put the pads back in so you don't have a headache down the road when you need to change the pads next and the pins are frozen into the caliper.

Good luck, it's not really that hard, it just helps to know what to do.

ilikeriding

Jul 19, 2002
Should I be able to pick up one of those air pressure nosels at somewhere like Sears? or is it a more specific type of nosel that im going ot have to go somewhere special for. I think I'll be needing it, cuz there seems to be no other way to get this pison out.

By the way, I had already tried the brake pedal method, but it never worked. the only way I got the piston to move back out after I BEAT it back in was to stick a hefty thick screwdriver into the brake line hole, and push like hell do get it to move back out. ... I think im going to be needing a new pison, this things' so hard to move! Oh and whats a website I could order those parts from that you mentioned if I ever need them? thanks for ur help.

Last edited:

kciH

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 28, 2002
The air tool I'm talking about is just a little air nozzle with a trigger, you should be able to get one at sears. Just make sure the rubber nozzle you get is large enough to completely seal the opening in the caliper. Once you get the piston out, and it will be a bich, you'll be amazed how easily it slides back into the new seals with just finger pressure. Just get it started straight and use a little brake fluid for lubrication and it will slide right in. The thing you want to inspect the piston for is heavy wear/scratches on the side surfaces that ride on the seal and dust seal. It is pretty unlikely, in my experience at least, that you will need to replace it. I got the p/n's from troy-racing.com, but I would order them from Service Honda because they support this excellent website and Dirt Week.

ilikeriding

Jul 19, 2002
cool. I was actually looking at the same website as you, just wondering tho if you were thinking of the same place as me. ...what if I can't get it out with the compressor? ...or will i most likely be able to? sorry i've just never had to encounter problems with a brake before.

kciH

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 28, 2002
It will come out with the air compressor. Resist the $23 urge to grab that piston with a vise grips when it comes out only part way. If you have a pressure regualtor on the comressor set it at 70-80lbs to start. If it still won't let loose turn it up to 120-30lbs (as high as it will go) , but make SURE you contain it with a towel or something. I've seen a riding buddy put one of these through his passenger side window on his truck! It didn't go all the way through, but it did shatter the window.

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
kinda sounds like you had moisture in the brake fluid and while sitting the piston rusted in the bore of the caliper. KciJ is spot on with how to remove the piston! I have used emery cloth in the caliper bore along with some brake fluid to clean the rust up. The piston usually cleans up nicely. One other check you can do is to push the brake pedal down while the caliper is removed. This will squirt fluid out the brake line so put a baggie or rag around it first. If you don't get any fluid coming out then you have clogged brake line. I have seen this on really old cars but not something as new as 92.
Jason

ilikeriding

Jul 19, 2002
Kcih: here's the problem.... my compresor is old and only goes up to 60psi!!!!!!!! :( what now!? i'll have to find a friend or famliy member with a bigger tank. and yeah i've got fluid coming out of my line i've already tried that one... thanks anyway tho.

ilikeriding

Jul 19, 2002
today i finally go it out... the outter seal of the two aint' lookin to good, so i'll replace that... so im just gonna go up to my local dealer to order the part. im not going to spend 8 bucks on shipping for a 2-4 dollar part.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…