Help....Puddle under my bike ???

MotoBK

Dec 5, 2009
I took my KDX 220 out last Sunday morning for a ride. Ran great, brought it home...washed it put it in the garage on the kickstand. Last night I decided to put it up on the floor stand. I just went out to the garage tonight....and there is what appears to be gearbox oil on the ground. It is not leaking from the bottom. There is also oil running evidence that it has ran down the carb...there is a droplet on the bowl drain.....what is this.....where is it coming from? When I did the gear oil...I did over fill it a bit by about 150ml.....any idea??? When I had it on the kickstand there was not any puddle????? The bike starts fine.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Nothing like a bike that isn't house trained ;)

You put too much oil in and it is coming out the case vent. It will find the correct level over time but to be sure just drain out the oil and just put back in the right amount. If it still leaks then you'll have to look elsewhere.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
An extra 150ml in the KDX shouldn't cause it to spit out the vent hose. Most of us KDX guys run 1qt instead of the recommended 750ml since it seems to quieten down the gearbox noise quite a bit.

I do agree, it probably came from the vent hose, just not sure why unless the bike was laid over sideways or something.

Someone

Mar 12, 2001
I've always used a full qt in my YZ's to no ill effect.

Are you sure it's not spooge from a vent line? I hope your tranny oil isn't black like that. =)

Top Bottom