Help - RC Valve adjustment and servo operation

ktgraf

Jan 6, 2006
stock 05 CR250

Just adjusted the RC valve. Set 12mm (butterfly to rear cable end) with the butterfly fully turned CW.

The front cable was a little more tricky because the posts I've read on this topic are vague. With the back cable set and tightened down in place, I adjusted the front cable by turning the 8mm cable end CW until I saw the bottom 10mm nut move up toward and then against the casing. Once it was against the casing, I snugged down the upper 10mm nut down onto the casing. I didn't go too tight because next, while holding the upper 10mm nut in place, I turned the 8mm cable end CW until it moved 1mm down. Then I tighten the upper 10mm nut. This gives me about 1mm of play in the cable(s), but you really can't see it.

The only posts I've seen describing this adjustment mention "about 1 mm of play". I'm not sure if this is transverse displacement or inline play, but anyway I adjusted it as inline play. Hope I'm right.

I then tested the operation of the RC valce with the RC valve cover off. I was expecting to have to rev the motor way up to 8000 rpm or so, but actually saw the butterfly starting to move by just mildly revving it.

Anyone got any advise as to whether I did the adjustment right or not? Also, any input relating to proper operation or testing of this valve would be appreciated.

KG

AlwaysCool

Jun 25, 2006
Invest in a Honda Service Manual. I ordered mine from the dealer where I bought my CR250R. It has EVERYTHING you need to know about all adjustments, and rebuilding your bike. Have fun!

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
Try this!

I stopped toying with my mine, the 12mm adjustment had a positive effect and I left it there. Henk Jager is the originator of the 12mm adjustment and it's outlined on his site:

http://www.he-ja.nl/hejatips-brits.htm

jrm

Apr 30, 2002
Sounds like you got it right. You'll know when you ride it. The front cable should have just minimal movement (side to side) -- about 1 mm sounds right.

While the Honda manual is excellent on most points of maintaining this bike, it is useless on this point. Just follow the directions on the link provided in the post above. Sounds like you know what you're doing.

Good luck. Enjoy a very strong-running 250.

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
Yes, it works well for all years (02-up) of the RC valve.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom