Hawk45

Feb 21, 2003
Have a 98CR250R that doesn't see much track time anymore. Do more woods riding with the boys than anything now. Only problem is the CR is way ripping hot and 1st gear is useless. Also stalling lots in tight stuff and hills even when giving my best feathering attempts. Really need to smooth out the powerband.. right now it's bogging or hitting the pipe (YIKES!..rip!)

Thinking bigger rear sprocket: 52 teeth?
Flywheel weight: 10 - 14oz?
Gnarley Pipe?
Carbon Reeds?
Rejet?

OR

Sell and get a tumper?

Thanks guys, weather is getting perfect for woods riding here and want to get this thing in shape..

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Find someone with a '99 cylinder and stock '99 pipe and swap them, or have your '98 cylinder ported for low end and find a used '99 pipe on an auction site.

I had a '99 CRE I bought from a former district enduro champ and it was SWEET off road. Great trail bike/enduro motor.

Factory Connection can do a great job with your suspension, BTW.

Motor mods to my '99 were an e-line lighting coil (acts like a flywheel weight but even better), v-force reed block, '97 carb and ignition, FMF Turbine Core spark arrestor/silencer. Stock '99 cylinder and pipe.

Riding my buddies '05 KTM 250 EXC back to back, the motors felt like twins. Excellent low end for a 250 2t. BTW, I ran a 49t rear sprocket in all but the nastiest stuff, and then used a 50. With the 49, you shift less and can hold 1st and second longer.

Hawk45

Feb 21, 2003
If I can't find a 99 cylinder, who do you recommend for woods porting?

Also, what flywheel weight should I start with?

And just checked, I already have a 54 tooth rear.. is that too high?

And how big a factor does the pipe make? Currently have Pro-Circuit Platinum Pipe/Silencer (came with bike when bought used).

Think that's all my questions.. hahahaha

m4i2k2e2

Oct 8, 2007
i have a 99 cr250r and it has factory connection suspension pro circuit platnium series pipe and a pro circuit silencer as well. i want to say a 304???? stock amount of teeth on the sprockets. nothing is done to the engine no fly wheel weights and i think its amazing in trails. i can be putting along about to stall and just mash the gas and that bike will not bog. its hard to get that bike to bog. is your jetting proper and all that. i never have a problem with stalling it.

Top Bottom