WhiPit

Mar 16, 2000
First time posting in this section, but I need help. I have a rather embarassing problem with my riding style. First, some background,
but I'll try to keep this short.

I've been riding motorcycles since 1976. I learned to ride by watching guys like Marty Smith and I always tried to emulate their style. Everyone has always told me that I have a "good style" and that I "look smooth". But I've found that my late 70's riding style just doesn't cut it in the new millenium!

Here's the situation: When I jump, I "hunch" my shoulders and stick my butt out over the rear fender! By "hunch" mean I pull my shoulders up like I'm trying to touch my ears with them! But when I ride, I don't know that I'm doing this. I can't feel it and some times completely forget that I do this. That is, until someone shows me a picture or video! EMBARASSING!!

Personally, I think this is a hold-over from my "glory days" back in the 70's. Back then, everyone jumped with their rear hanging over the back fender and had their arms stretched out (think like doing a 'superman-air', but your feet are still attached to the pegs).

I've been riding for a long time and I go at a decent speed. 15 years ago, I was even pretty good. But, years and new responsibilities have slowed me down. I still love to ride and race, but I hate looking like a goon! I've even considered constructing some sort of "trainer" to strap my shoulders down. I figure if the straps go over my shoulders and then down between my legs, if I hunch-up again, I'll look like this:
:eek:

Any suggestions to help this old goon rider that wants to have the "new style"??

smarttoys

Sponsoring Member
Apr 29, 2001
Get one of those foam neck protectors. The one like they use in football. It might keep you from hunching your shoulders as much and as an added bonus, protect your neck.

I have a friend that rides a lot like you described. He is also "old school" and has no idea that he does it either. If I say anything about the way he jumps, he gets very defensive about it, probably because he doesn't know what I'm talking about. I should video tape him sometime.

wardy

2005 Lori Nyland Award Winner
Nov 12, 1999
Habits are hard

to break no question. It took me 4 years of racing almost everyweekend from 88-92 to rid myself of the straight back, stick the legs out everywhere, sit down style i aquired in the 70's.

its simple but yet hard to break those bad habits.......concentrate.

you have most of the battle won at this point, you know you do it. Now its up to you to figure out how you will stop. it may take a year or a month it depends how badly or how much self control you have.

rider techniques are unique to all riders, everyone does stuff a little different, its what makes the sport. but changing somthing after a long time is one of the hardest things i had to do, cept it doesn't compare to the stop smoking thing i did 2 years ago at all!

good luck!!!

wardy

pt

Jul 31, 2001
riding style

whip, I went thru the same thing. I raced back in the 70's and just got back into riding a couple years ago after a long lay off. My style was similar to what you are explaining. One thing that helped me was realizing that todays bikes you ride over the front wheel as opposed to back in the day where your butt was practically parked over the rear fender. Try watching Kevin Windam ride he is a great example on riding over the front end. I was looking at some photos a while bike of my riding. I noticed a pic from about 2 years ago I was jumping a table top with that hunched over butt back position. Then I looked at one from a month ago over the same jump. On the newer pic I am standing much straighter up and my helmet is over the handlebars. I look more comfortable and I know I feel more comfortable. Now it feels much more natural in that forward riding "attack position".
Hope that helps...

WhiPit

Mar 16, 2000
Hey guys,

Thanks for the advice. I really do try to concentrate to stand up over the front more. I think it's like you're saying, it's just going to take a lot of practice to break that habit. I always think in my head while I'm riding, "I must look just like Pastrana!" - then I see pictures........:(

Practice makes perfect, right??

Top Bottom