glf22

Jul 7, 2005
About 5 months ago I made plans to meet my sister and her son to ride at the Turkey Bay OHV area in Kentucky. I researched the regulations on line and found that they do not allow anyone under 12 on an ATV over 70cc. I thought OK, we are riding motorcycles not ATV’s. My son who is 10 has an XR80 and my nephew who is 8 has a TTR-90. I called the number given online to find out about the fees this morning. I got the before hours info service. They asked if I was bringing kids. I said yes and was told that the ATV restriction applies to motorcycles too. I thought this guy was confused so I called back later. I found out there is no phone at Turkey Bay so I could not talk to someone our there. I tried talking to someone at the forest service and he was not sure if there was an age/cc restriction for motorcycles. I need to know if my son and nephew can ride there on their motorcycles. Please help. If not, I need to cancel my reservations ASAP. :bang:

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Sorry that this won't be a dead on answer to your question but I can tell you that I have seen kids that were around the age of yours riding out there and they weren't on 50's.

CAL would be your best bet at getting an answer, not sure how often he checks in here though.

I sent him a PM and an e-mail - hopefully he is around to help you out.

glf22

Jul 7, 2005
MrLuckey

Thanks for your help. I hope CAL gets your message. I am really in a bind. If my son can't ride his 80, I need to cancel my lodging reservations soon or loose my deposit.

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
I'm sorry for the late reply. I have been covered up with work lately. Thanks for the heads up Eddie.

Turkey Bay has quite a few restrictions on paper, but usually that is as far as they get. I have seen alot of youngsters riding on big bikes at TB. I really don't think you will have any problems. I've honestly never heard of anyone getting stopped and having their age and CC checked. As long as the kids aren't doing anything to draw attention to themselves (doing donuts or running 40 mph through the parking lot, etc.) you won't have any problems. TB also has a spark arrestor restriction (on paper). I've been riding there since I was 16 (11 years), and have never been asked or have ever heard of anyone being checked for a spark arrestor.

I will say this...I haven't ridden at TB (or anywhere) in over a year now. Some things have changed lately, as far as finally maintaining the trails, enforcing drinking/riding, and controlling "parking lot terrors". But I highly doubt that the particulars of machines and young riders are being closely watched.

Hope this helps. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. We used to ride TB every week and have covered every trail there a couple hundred times and have made more than half of the good bike trails there. One big word of advice....STAY OFF THE MAIN TRAIL. It is wide and fast and has two way traffic (like all the trails). There are alot of idiots that run wide open on that trail and there have been alot of head-on collisions. 99% of all injuries at TB happen on the main trail. The farther you get from the main trail, the better the riding is and the less people you see. Eddie can testify to the fact that when we ride at TB, we rarely hit the main trail and we can ride for hours and never see another bike or quad.

Corey

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom