bluedotfatcap

Aug 17, 2005
i jus gota used cr80 its 1997. doesnt start. its gettin fuel and spark. when i kick it nothing. if i give it gas and i kick it it makes that deep sound 2 strokes make when they try to start. and after a few kicks it sounds like a loud soosh of air out the exhaust silencer... any ideas? i bought the top end kit for the bike so im thinking it needs to be rebuilt... Thanks to all that help...

and i did search with no help on my symptoms...

dustinvw

Aug 24, 2005
bluedotfatcap said:
i jus gota used cr80 its 1997. doesnt start. its gettin fuel and spark. when i kick it nothing. if i give it gas and i kick it it makes that deep sound 2 strokes make when they try to start. and after a few kicks it sounds like a loud soosh of air out the exhaust silencer... any ideas? i bought the top end kit for the bike so im thinking it needs to be rebuilt... Thanks to all that help...

and i did search with no help on my symptoms...

did you check the air filter?

was the bike sitting for a while before you bought it? if so might want to pull the air filter out while your down there and make sure there are no small mammals in the intake...

if nothing there...check compression....put the bike in neutral....hold the bik ewith one hand or put it on a stand....use your other hand on the kick starter and "feel" when the piston rises and falls....if its REALLY easy with no resistance then you might need a new top end like you are thinking

thats my limits...good luck!

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Is the choke working? I recently came across a TTR125 that was neglected for a while and having difficulty starting. I put raw fuel in the carb to start it. Once it warmed, It ran well and started on the first kick several times. After a 3 hour cooling off, it took about 30 kicks to get it going. The next time I saw the bike I installed a new choke cable (old one was visibly damaged). The choke plunger was sticking in it's bore making the removal difficult. When I got the plunger out, I cleaned it up and reinstalled it, along with the new cable, and the bike started on the third kick. Might be worth a look.

bluedotfatcap

Aug 17, 2005
ok guys thanks, but all it needed was a top end, but i bought a stock sized top end and i got it runngin maybe for about 4 mins and then it crapped out again. the reason it crapped out is becase its .50 over... so theres that and thanks for the help.

Also anyone kno of a place to get a big bore kit for this cr80? Thanks

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
bluedotfatcap said:
i bought a stock sized top end and i got it runngin maybe for about 4 mins and then it crapped out again. the reason it crapped out is becase its .50 over...

wasn't it pounding like a hammer?

bluedotfatcap

Aug 17, 2005
... :( you tell me... this is my first MX 2 stroke. so im not too up to date or fond of the insides of one of these. but they guy i got it from said it was a stock piston.. so i took his word for it. and obviouisly it wasnt. so i skipped the part where i measure it. ive had four strokes my whole life... but yeah. Thats why im sticking to the rules for now on.. :|

handywork

Sep 5, 2005
Fuel-spark-compression
Judging by the woosh you said comes out pipe and after previously stated hand kickstart test proves ok.Most likely causes are stale fuel.Empty and refill with correct fuel ratio fresh gas.As said before check for obstructions in inlet and cleaner element clean.Grab a container,By removing drain plug on bottom of carb,turn fuel on while removed and check fuel flow.Check condition of previously drained fuel and what is in bottom of well in the removed plug.In all of these look for dirt,foreign objects and water,but keep an eye out for a brown dried glue substance on bottom of plug,or brwn flakes out of float bowl drain hole.This indicates that the bike was sitting for an extended period with a full bowl of gas.Over time fuel evaporates,leaving oil residue which dries out to a jelly,then dries to a brown dried glue appearance.If you find any of the previous guaranteed every orifice is blocked.Clean out carb and jets but clean jets and venturi and cold start tubes out with compressed air,use wire and you`ll damage them.While you`ve got the air cleaner rubber boot off just put your hand over back of carb and kick it, should suck.
Haven`t pulled a new Kwaka mag cover off lately,but the whoosh got me thinking,I bought a Bultaco Fronteirer 250 for $100 cause this guy couldn`t start it.He had put the pick ups and bracket etc on upside down as there are 3 screw holes.Making timing on it 180 out.No joke,good score.But before you go looking,with air cleaner boot removed put a tablespoon of gas in carb throat and kick for several mins. while holding throttle wide open,Should at least fire once,or backfire or something.If it doesn`t try again.Nothing,change plug,could be shorting or if faulty ceramic or core with moisture(fuel) and she will play up.Try another splash up the guts and kick and kick and kick.
That should have done it but if not check compression with a good compression testing device as thats the next culprit,and it`s more sinister than a quick fix

Fatback

Jul 25, 2006
i know this post is old, but i am woundering where i can get a cheep top end for a 1997 CR80. it has no compression and needs one :bang: . i am located in SC and would use some help. also, the shifter dont catch anything (moves freely) and i am woundering how i can fix this. i am 13 w/ low cash so anything cheap will be good. my e-mail is in my profile.

Top Bottom