conn7

Dec 3, 2006
this is my second bike it is a 2001 yz426f, its my uncles i got it for free, but anyway,

so i start it up using choke , it starts up fine, then after i ride for like 15 minutes, i let it idle, and it shuts off, then the bike wont start until the motor gets cold again

basically,
when u let the motor idle and the motor is hot itll shut off and wont start back up until is cold again

PLEASE HELP!!

02yz426f

Nov 15, 2006
I have an 02 426 and it has never done that. Try to use the hot start when the bike is hot, but on mine, it will start without the hot start pulled after riding for a while.

Reesknight

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2002
You are shutting off the choke after it warms up right? Sounds like you need to adjust the idle up a bit, after its warm and the choke is off of course. After its hot, and you need to restart it, try using the hot start button like others suggested. Its the red knob close to the choke knob.

conn7

Dec 3, 2006
what about on a cold start?

choke no throttle?
hotstart no throttlew

last time it started i used
hotstart choke full throttle

and is there anything u gotta do with the compression lever at a certain time?

im new to this bike lol

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
conn7 said:
itll shut off and wont start back up until is cold again
QUOTE]

Tight valves.

Check your valve clearance.

02yz426f

Nov 15, 2006
I dont ever use throttle because it floods the bike and takes half hour of kicking to get it started back up. Ok, the easy way to start the bike is to 1. push down kicker and find hard spot 2. pull decomp lever and move kicker 2 inches down 3. release decomp lever and return kicker to top. 4. lighty find the hard spot again. 5. give it a jumping kick. Starts most everytime for me. If you are in the 200 pound range, you wont have to jump on the kicker like me (150 pounds). Good luck and make sure not to grab the decomp lever while riding :-)

fishwater

Oct 19, 2006
Go check out the YZ forum on thumper talk.com, there is a procedure for starting the bike that will make your life much easier. I just bought a 2001 YZ426 this week & have been all over that forum for info.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
fishwater said:
there is a procedure for starting the bike that will make your life much easier. .

Re-read the guy's post. He is able to start the bike. The bike runs until it warms up then dies. THEN, IT WILL NOT START UNTIL IT COOLS OFF.

That is an indication of tight valves. :bang:

getdrunk

Mar 17, 2006
Mine is like that. I have my idling high but it startrs ok cold but once the beast is heated up if i shut it off or stall it out it never wants to start eather even with teh hoiot start. Most the time i push start it. Its common in alot of yz 426's. I heard a differant size pilot jet can help.

Top Bottom