Myke

Aug 23, 2002
ktm clutch:(

its a 1980 ktm 250

the clutch on it has always dragged (not disengaged all the way), but i never got around to replaceing it.

Today when I was riding, I noticed it only has about a half inch of play on the lever. I looked the biek over and noticed that the clutch lever (party on the engine that the cable connects to) would move back and forth somewhat freely.

Now can anybody tell me what mite of went wrong or broke? The bike shifts and runs fine

Thanks! Im clueless

Myke

Myke

Aug 23, 2002
Its a 1980 ktm 250

The clutch on it has dragged (not disenguaged all the way), but i never got to fix it.

Today when i was riding it up and down the driveway to break the pistin in, i noticed the clutch would only move about a half inch. I looked the biek over, and the clutch lever on the engine that the cable connects to would move back and forth somewhat freely.

Can somebody help me out here? like what i should do or look for?

I can glady take pics so yall know what im talking about if you like. just tell me

Thanks!
Myke

2stroke

Nov 7, 2001
Hmm you say only a half inch play on the lever like it should have more?
No, it should only have 3 or 4 mm play. You could try adjusting the cable so that there is no slop down at the actuator on the case and only a little play up at the lever. Use the adjuster at the lever, and also there should be an adjuster half way down the cable sheathing. See what kind of feel you can get out of it.

2stroke

Nov 7, 2001
anyway, worn springs or toasted friction discs are usually a gradual failure.
It would start slipping at high revs, and then get worse until it wont pull at all. If it SUDDENLY went completely limp at the actuator on the case, then that sounds like something broke like the actuator linkage or maybe the basket came apart, Ive seent that happen.

ice cold

Nov 8, 2003
Might try this if you haven't already, unhook your cable from the lever by the engine and pull your clutch in and out to see if it's dragging, sounds like your cable is pinched, frayed, or getting ready to break. If it's not one of the above, sometimes you can loosen them up for a while by spraying some wd-40 down the cable and work it back and forth for a while. If it's not the cable let me know, I have some other ideas of what it could be.

Top Bottom