stumanarama

Aug 29, 2007
i just want to clarify that the ball of ones foot is not the heel, it is the part where your toes attach(if that makes any sense)

mox69

Mar 26, 2007
Last week I came up a few feet short on about a 70-80ft table top and flat landed it.

When I landed I was on the balls of my feet. I landed so hard that I sprained / twisted both of my ankles. Not seriously, but I had to walk funny for the net few days.

I probably would have broke something if I had landed on the back of my heels. At a minimum I would have messed up something in my back.

I will gladly take 2-3 days of walking funny, compared to a broken leg or a messed up back.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
In my opinion,Most of the time when you are jumping in a mx race you need to get the rear wheel on the ground first or at the same time. Them split seconds landing on the front add up! Even drop in landings in corners,most of the time,even though the bike is pitched down you are just matching the angle! Slow motion a pro race. Landing on the front end is potentially the most dangerous crash you can get into,catapulted over the bars! I have always jumped on my in-steps. Using the balls of your feet sure sound like broken feet to me when you end up landing hard on that 100 foot jump! Quality of boots would matter also! I have done this in certain circumstances and it does incur extra movement to shift and brake when your toes are on the pegs! Being old and scared I am not about big jumps anymore and am really slamming short! It takes a lot of energy out of me and I am thoroughly enjoying walking!

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
To back up what whenfoxforks-ruled said, landing hard on the balls of your feet will get you hurt because your feet will want to bend on the side they WON'T bend. A friend of mine has 10 screws in each leg because of that. When he landed, he didn't even fall off the bike, but he couldn't get off it by himself afterwards. So yeah...

Mar 16, 2007
FruDaddy said:
If you are afraid, then you should wait a little longer. Fear will put you in the ER, because it encourages you to do something stupid to protect yourself. To make it clean, you need both the guts to try and the skill to succeed.

I know of a tiny jump near me that my son easily hits on a 65, but I had a couple of nose too low landings on. I stopped hitting that jump because I don't care to risk the injury, even though I have made it successfully. Perhaps I will attempt it again at a time when I don't feel that it will cause me (or my bike) unnecessary pain. I'm not a great rider, and I definitely let intimidation protect my hyde.

well said. i almost went over the bars last night pushing my skill. on just a small double when i can hit bigger jumps than that. and yup even tho I have jumped a jump before sometimes I dont jump it because its too risky. I see a few older guys at the track ride like this. they are way faster than me but dont do any of the jumps. they are beating me in the corners :bang:

Top Bottom