Chris99

Aug 25, 2007
Hey . I just got my bike maybe 5 days ago - and my friends are pushing me to do this jump - but everytime I do it - I land too much on my front tire and almost wreck - constantly banging on my front shocks... I need advice on how to even the bike out and what to do - if needed ill get a picture of my problem - thanks - Chris.

Edit : Im about 5 foot and way about 90 pounds - riding a yamaha ttr 125.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Don't listen to your friends.. Do it when you feel comfortable.. If you do things like that cause your friends are pushing you, you will soon find out what the ER looks like...

Chris99

Aug 25, 2007
Hah . Its not only my friends it was my mistake to blame it no them - its me - I want to do it - its just I can't get the bike level on this jump.. suggestinos please?

sixds

Mar 25, 2007
it sounds like your just nose diving, keep steady on the throttle as you are coming up the jump and if you nose dive rev the bike a bit in the air.

Chris99

Aug 25, 2007
Hmm. I think I get what your saying... im letting go of the thorrtle to early? My one friend said it may be because im reving it but stopping while my back tire is still on the jump - therefore causing me to nose dive.. so I should try keeping on the throttle more? Maybe a little more lean back to top it off? :nod:

Chris99

Aug 25, 2007
Ok - well its 10:00 at night - a little to late to try it out... but I have school till 4 tommorow - oh well , i Will wait - and if anybody has any input its appreciated.

Chris99

Aug 25, 2007
Well - its 8:00 today and im not in school yet because im sick - i probably won't be doing it today. But if I do I should tape it :] ?

Chris99

Aug 25, 2007
Hah - I highly doubt ER! I haven't wrecked on the jump yet but ive done quite a few nose dives which I can't say what it is doing to my front shocks........... But yeah I see what ya mean^_^ I did a few things on jumping and also cleaing my chain its pretty dirty - since im doing nothing right now im going to go get a video and upload it here. Tell me what you think I should do - thanks.

misfitfmx

Aug 13, 2007
Chris99 said:
Hah - I highly doubt ER! I haven't wrecked on the jump yet but ive done quite a few nose dives which I can't say what it is doing to my front shocks........... But yeah I see what ya mean^_^ I did a few things on jumping and also cleaing my chain its pretty dirty - since im doing nothing right now im going to go get a video and upload it here. Tell me what you think I should do - thanks.
It happens to everyone so be ready, don't think you're invincible. One of these days you're gonna wreck hard... If you push it to the limit that is.

Chris99

Aug 25, 2007
Hmm. I just saw something on **** "the grunge brush" for like 8 dollars - and I have that to spare.. I think ill try that. but should i use anything with it like water? or something?

Chris99

Aug 25, 2007
misfitfmx said:
It happens to everyone so be ready, don't think you're invincible. One of these days you're gonna wreck hard... If you push it to the limit that is.

Hehe - I know - but Im not pushing it. Its not a big jump its a MINIATURE jump to you guys- pretty big to me - ive had a bike for like 5 days.

misfitfmx

Aug 13, 2007
Chris99 said:
Hehe - I know - but Im not pushing it. Its not a big jump its a MINIATURE jump to you guys- pretty big to me - ive had a bike for like 5 days.
Ohhhhh, just wait till you start hittin the huge kickers and the 40/70 Footers! ;)

mkelly04

Jul 27, 2007
Chris99 said:

With the ttr miniature jumps is all you should hit. That bike is not designed to jump at all.

Chris99

Aug 25, 2007
Maybe im not doing the jump anytime soon... I went riding today and me and my friends made the jump bigger - zomg! Im afraid to try it now

stumanarama

Aug 29, 2007
first off, if you are not ready to jump, then dont jump, i just started jumping recently and what i found(which may be totally wrong)but i was nosediving as well and it scared the **** out of me, first i was touching the back brake on accident, so be sure to stand on the balls of your feet so as not to hit the brake, next lean back a little, not too much, just a little, and last, right as you are rolling into the jump, just roll on the gas a little bit, dont punch it or rev it up crazy, just roll it on a little bit, now i want to reiterate that everything i said could be totally wrong, its just what works for me on the smaller tabletops which is as far as ive gotten in jumping,
just my two or more cents

poisonrain87

Sep 13, 2007
i had that problem

the two things i did wrong, were either let off of the gas or hit the jump at the low end of a gear. what i did was continuously go at the jump holding the throttle stead at increasing speeds until i got the desired result. hope i helped

Chris99

Aug 25, 2007
I can do another jump fine now without nose diving ... but im not sure if i should try this oen yet im a little afraid

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
If you are afraid, then you should wait a little longer. Fear will put you in the ER, because it encourages you to do something stupid to protect yourself. To make it clean, you need both the guts to try and the skill to succeed.

I know of a tiny jump near me that my son easily hits on a 65, but I had a couple of nose too low landings on. I stopped hitting that jump because I don't care to risk the injury, even though I have made it successfully. Perhaps I will attempt it again at a time when I don't feel that it will cause me (or my bike) unnecessary pain. I'm not a great rider, and I definitely let intimidation protect my hyde.

May 5, 2007
stumanarama said:
first off, if you are not ready to jump, then dont jump, i just started jumping recently and what i found(which may be totally wrong)but i was nosediving as well and it scared the **** out of me, first i was touching the back brake on accident, so be sure to stand on the balls of your feet so as not to hit the brake, next lean back a little, not too much, just a little, and last, right as you are rolling into the jump, just roll on the gas a little bit, dont punch it or rev it up crazy, just roll it on a little bit, now i want to reiterate that everything i said could be totally wrong, its just what works for me on the smaller tabletops which is as far as ive gotten in jumping,
just my two or more cents
Im no expert but standing on the balls of your feet sounds like a bad idea.Especially with the suspension the ttr's have.And when i jump my feet are centerd on the peg and im on the arch in the center of my foot.Im not an expert but I am almost positive im right on this.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
derek the 2 stroke said:
Im no expert but standing on the balls of your feet sounds like a bad idea.Especially with the suspension the ttr's have.
I am equally positive that you are wrong. Don't be so cocky. Fact, the few extra inches on movement provided by your ankles can prevent more serious injuries. A hard lading might have to be absorbed by your legs, if you are foolish enough to be in the arches, then you are giving up the extra distance before a cast is required. That's before you consider the consequences of landing on the brake or shifter and landing in an uncontrollable slide at a rather high speed.

Landing on the balls of your feet is especially important with the suspension that a TTR has, unless you like limping. With such a poor suspension, even a good landing can result in a shattered ankle.

Top Bottom