help with replacing fork seals

dpaxson

Sep 30, 2006
I was looking at my bike today wishing that it would finally warm up :( and noticed that there seems to be some oil leaking around the seals on the forks. I have heard people talk about replacing fork seals but I am new to dirt bikes and i don't really know how to do this. Is it a difficult repair or would i be able to do it myself? I am very good with tools and fixing things and i have lots of tools so that wouldn't be a problem. Thanks in advance

john_jalane

Feb 19, 2007
Fork Seal Replacement

Following the step-by-step description in a post under the "General Repairs" forum, I was successful in doing a fork seal replacement last month on my '98 YZ125. I didn't encounter any dilemmas in the job fortunately, as I had an impact wrench at my disposal. To drive in the fork seal, I just used a piece of PVC pipe with a section cut out to fit around the forks. Make sure that you follow the steps in the same forum to refill the forks with oil, as the forks need to be off the bike. Good luck. :cool:

KX250Dad

Dec 4, 2006
The reality is more often than not fork seals aren't "bad" and don't require replacement. It is not uncommon for fork seals to seep/weep as a result of dirt/debris wedging in the lip. Simple cleaning will solve most seeping fork seal issues. Do a search for cleaning proceedures and I've recently seen fork seal cleaning tools. Be sure to clean the tubes after each event. Casing a double/triple will force dried debris thru the seal lips easily... Bottom line cleaning beats the heck out of damage during dissassembly and mistakes made during reassembling.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
Last time I replaced mine, I put a set of those Seal Savers over the forks. I think they look goofy, but my gawd do they protect stuff from getting in your seals and making them leak or damaging them.

Top Bottom