help!! would putting the wrong spark plug in wreck everything?

farmboy4

Jan 6, 2013
so i going for a quick rip down the gravel road with my 2002 k100 :ride: and all of the sudden my it seized up! :yikes: so i take it home with my truck to look at it, ,i was looking in the owners manual and flipped past the page that tells you what spark plug to put in so i looked at the one that was in it and the one in it was completely different then the one that was supposed to be in it :bang: . so i replaced that. then i took the top cylinder off looked at the piston and it was black with little chips in it so i went bought a new piston took off the bottom cylinder to replace the piston and the crank is burnt and it won't rotate properly so the bottom end is in the shop getting rebuilt. :pissed: I just want to know if the wrong size spark plug can do all that? :yell:

arnego2

Mar 8, 2008
Sound like you spark plug lost its pole or another part of the plug ignition device. Some debris makes it to the bottom you lower conrod bearing won't like that.

A completely off the line spark plug can do a lot of things, one is loosing a pole i.e

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
What was specified in the manual and what was in the bike? Some things won’t make any difference (like using a –ES instead of an –EG) but other things can make a difference. On some bikes there is vibration and the plug has to be a certain type to keep it from falling apart.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Frist of all you had the wrong plug (as you know). The reach is wrong (the length of threads) and who knows what else. The H is the reach and H stands for 1/2" reach, you need for that to be an E, which is 3/4" reach. Check to make sure the full length of threads in the head are OK since 1/4” of them were exposed due to the short reach. Here's a handy chart for what all of the numbers and letters mean: http://ngksparkplugs.com/docs/tech/design_symbols_plugs.pdf

I checked in Bikebandit.com for the OEM plug and they specify BR9EIX (see at: http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/2002-kawasaki-kx100d/o/m141946#sch289585 ) which is a colder plug (9 vs 7) with a
High Performance Iridium electrode which helps with fouling.

The mfg obviously specified a special plug and you should run it but you could probably get away with the BR9EIX or even a BR9ES if your budget is tight. The ES has a std tip but they are cheaper and if your jetting is good they rarely foul.

Not sure what’s going on with the missing bearing. Which one? Was it never there or did it self-destruct when the engine seized?

farmboy4

Jan 6, 2013
actually it say's the standard sparkplug is a NGK R6252K-105 and there's a optional one NGK BR9EVX
And they didn't say which bearing was missing but its one from the bottom end

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom