All4yodeling

Nov 26, 2003
Aight... I need someones opinion. I like Yamaha's and Hondas and was considering a Ktm, but they all have their ups and their downs. I am 17, 160lbs with gear, 6ft, and i've had quite a bit of experience on dirtbikes. I've owned a pw 80 for about 3 years then i sold it and now 6 years later i want to get back into riding. But i just don't know what to get. I don't know if i should get something in the 125class or something in the 250 class. I ride about half trail and half track and love jumping. I know my limits and i'm pretty mature. I work my way up to doing stupid stunts instead of just going at them full throttle. So basically i need someones opinion on whether to get a 250 4 stroke for 125class or a 250 2 stroke for 250 class. What brand and why. I'm kinda a big Honda fan so i'm lookin at the cr250r and the crf 250r.
How is the powerband on a cr250, is it hard or mellow, and where does it hit.
Is the cr250 good on trails
Is a close ratio tranny a whole lot different than a wide ratio tranny.
I've heard that the cr250 are a little slow for a 250 2-stroke is that true.
Thanx for all your help,
Patrick

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
I'd look at the new CRF250X but they aren't out yet. A KDX is a nice beginner bike but I think you need a little more in the suspension department for the track. KTM 200 or 250EXC's are good choices though. For Yamaha a WR250F would work but if your going to race or jump big I'd stick with a YZF or CRF250. The 4 stroke MXers do better in the trails compared to 2 stroke MXers. Thats why everyone has them because they are more versatile. It depends which you ride more of(trails or track) and what you'll do in the future. More track=4 stroke MXer, More trails=trail bike or 4 stroke MXer.

Top Bottom