lowe219

Feb 25, 2009
ok.
ive never in my life rode a 2stroke until yesterday. 2003 Suzuki Rm
lets just say i wasnt the best at it,
plus i was at an mx track, and that was also new to me.
ive only road a 150 yamaha 4stroke trail riding, so this is brand new to me.
do any of you have suggestions/tips on riding a 2 stroke?
and also for someone new to an mx track?
id really appreciate the help.

Last edited:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
It's all in the wrist.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
With lot more power and a less "predictable" delivery, you need to get yourself forward *before* you open the throttle and launch.

As far as being new to the track, try to stay to one side or the other and be predictable. The faster guys will get around you if you maintain your line, but if you zig-zag to try to get out of their way, you will just as likely be getting into their way.

lowe219

Feb 25, 2009
yeah i know exactly wat ur saying.
like today i went and rode with one of my friends at somebody else's private track, so it was just him and me, i did like 90% better then the first day. But the only problem i have is going through the rutts(sp?) i dont know if i should just either gun it after coming around a turn and in the rutts or wat, kinda confusing since its new.
i havent jumped anything yet just kinda putted around it all, but the only thing im going to have trouble with, probably until i have moer experience, is knowing wat gear to jump in. But all it really is, is just practice, practice, practice...i know eventually ill get it.
and thanks for the help guys.
But if u still have tips please post. :)

Feb 26, 2006
Ruts are hard to ride through. They are my worst enemy, but I've learned that if you just stand up and look ahead you'll do alot better. Looking ahead will keep you pointed straight and standing up will allow the bike to move beneath you. As for jumping, you just have to get a feel for it. Start small and then work your way up. Remember to sit, or stand, with good posture and keep your elbows out!

Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
Decel in the ruts makes them even tougher, you want to hold a steady speed,.. but you a$$ over the back fender try to keep the front wheel lite, weighting the front wheel in ruts only make it worse.

good luck

lowe219

Feb 25, 2009
thanks guys.
that really helped, i went the other day and rode, feels alot better.
the only last part i have a problem with is when youre going to the side of a rut thats angled akward and then ur front or rear tire falls into it.
but once again thanks.

Kawi4life

Feb 21, 2005
When I'm on a new bike that I'm not used to the track is the last place I wanna be. I'll spend some time trail riding a new bike to get used to the bike. Trail riding is more laid back but a MX track you're naturally not going to want to ride slow (and sometimes over your head).... Just my IMO.

Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
Stay loose! ,... allow the bike to wonder and swivel under you, if you try and fight the rut, the rut will fight you back!

Sonds like you're doing well,... keep it up!

Top Bottom