funktree

~SPONSOR~
Jul 21, 2001
wins supermoto at the xgames

he really should think about doing a full series in one of these sports again

from cycle news;

Graves Motorsports Yamaha’s Doug Henry claimed a convincing win in the 40-lap X Games 11 Supermoto feature at Home Depot Center in Carson, California today, the former AMA National Motocross and AMA Regional Supercross Champion earning his first career X Games Gold Medal with 11.35 seconds in hand over two of his motocross peers, seven-time former AMA Supercross Champion and former AMA National Motocross Champion Jeremy McGrath and former AMA Supercross Champion Chad Reed.

Team Yamaha’s Reed grabbed the holeshot at the start of the nationally televised race, with Henry running second. Henry passed Reed in the paved right-hand turn just before the dirt section outside the main stadium on lap six and then pulled out a lead of several seconds before the round of pit stops that began to occur after lap 20.

"I was thinking of the pits because I wanted a little bit of a gap," Henry said. "You never know what could happen, so I tried to get a gap and come out of the pit stop ahead."

The lead changed hands a few times in the pit melee, but once it all sorted out, Henry worked his way back to the front and methodically clicked off the laps to the finish.

The real race was for second place, as Reed managed to reclaim the spot after his crew had difficulty in getting him out quickly after his pitstop. That allowed American Honda’s McGrath, who had struggled early and even crashed in the stadium dirt section before his pit stop, to work himself into position to challenge Reed. McGrath completed a hairball pass on Reed down the long and perilous wooden jump that led the riders back into the stadium dirt section on lap 34 to claim the second spot. McGrath went on to finish 4.59 seconds ahead of Reed to claim the X Games silver medal. McGrath, who earned a gold medal in the X Games Step Up competition last year, said that he thoroughly enjoyed his X Games Supermoto experience.

"The thing that I love about this race after racing Supercross for such a long time is it's a lot more business over there," McGrath said. "This is a lot more fun. Even though everybody wants to win, the athletes over here get treated the way they're supposed to, and I think that's great."

Reed was third, over 20 seconds ahead of Red Bull/Parts Unlimited KTM’s Eric Bostrom, who had passed Reed to run as high as second before pitting.

"My endurance was good," Reed said. "I had to hold my body in an awkward position the whole race, and I had to get used to the 450 from the beginning."

Red Bull KTM’s Kurt Nicoll crashed early in the race but rode strong to the finish for fifth.

X Games Supermoto

1. Doug Henry (Yamaha)

2. Jeremy McGrath (Yamaha)

3. Chad Reed (Yamaha)

4. Eric Bostrom (KTM)

5. Kurt Nicoll (KTM)

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
:nod:

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
That was a great race! Henry's pit crew got him in and out in just over 20 seconds. McGrath looked great, as did Reed. Henry's pass on Reed was outstanding, clean but aggressive. The big peristyle jump had some gnarly crashes!

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Those guys were hauling! Loved the track. The pit stops were a nice wrinkle.

Nice to see Pastrana out there. Looked like his pit crew had some trouble.

Too bad Wardy crashed a few times.

MXers 4 out of the top 5.

cnielse5

~SPONSOR~
Feb 22, 2005
That was a lot of fun to watch. It is so nice to have a live televised event in this sport. wish it was like that in MX and SX!!!

Al E

May 26, 2000
funktree said:
wins supermoto at the xgames

he really should think about doing a full series in one of these sports again
Henry is leading the AMA supermoto series in the 450 class.
This is from the AMA supermoto website.
Pos. Pts. Rider name Hometown
1 87 D. Henry Torrington, CT
2 81 J. Kunzel Temecula, CA
3 69 J. Ward Newport Beach, CA
4 57 B. Carlson West Bend, WI
5 47 T. van den Bosch
6 46 A. Thiebault Antibes,
7 45 D. Baffeleuf Cournon D Avuergne,
8 43 K. Nicoll Temecula, CA
9 40 C. Fillmore Oxford, MI
10 37 G. Trachy Orange, CA

Al E

funktree

~SPONSOR~
Jul 21, 2001
oh I didn't realize he was contesting the series.

alot of guys just do the xgames supermoto I assumed he was one of em, and you know what assuming does...

dante

Mar 24, 2004
KiwiBird said:
That was a great race! Henry's pit crew got him in and out in just over 20 seconds. McGrath looked great, as did Reed. Henry's pass on Reed was outstanding, clean but aggressive. The big peristyle jump had some gnarly crashes!

I disagree that his pass was clean... I guess it's ok to make contact in motocross, and supercross when making passes, but not on the street? If it was a roadrace that pass would have been as dirty as they get... Their was another supermoto race going on the Speed Channel wraping up as x-games was starting and Doug Henry made a simular pass that would have made the other rider crash if they did'nt back off... Henry stole the line by forcing his way inside and making contact on the street portion of the corse... He did'nt pass being faster but by making contact... The exact same thing he did to Reed at x games... Allot will disagree with me I'm sure... "he must have been faster to even make contact" or "that's just a racing incident" To me clean passes are made with faster lines, and actually moving faster not by making contact, & blocking, and forcing someone to brake to avoid a collision... Like Millsaps, he does it right in my book, always squiky clean passes...

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Well, since they are riding dirtbikes, not street bikes, what's wrong with a little contact. Rubbin is racin, and it sucks when guys are too scared that they'll get penalized to realize that a little contact makes it interesting. I would have had no problem if Reed had gave Henry a tap back.

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
I thought it was an aggressive pass but ultimately a fair one. It doesn't seem like Reed is complaining ! The race was awesome ... and great coverage. Doug Henry rocks ! Top 5 at a national motocross a week or so ago, overalling a GNCC earlier this year, and now this. He's versatile and he obviously loves to race his motorcycle. I dig that. :cool:

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
Colton545 said:
I think Pastrana Pit may have cost him a medal
Travis was riding aggressively later in the race, but was only above 7th place when he waited longer than those ahead of him to pit. I loved his aggressive, attack mode in his first freestyle final run.

zcookie49

Seven OUT!
Dec 21, 2000
Yeah, hats off to Henry and strong performances by MC and Reed.
Looks like Yamaha woke up and sponsored Henry this year for his ride. Last year he went over to the Honda since their was no support program for him at Yamaha. How fitting if he wins them a supermoto championship.

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
Colton545 said:
He was in 2nd place when he entered the pit
Yes, only because every other faster riders had taken the 50+ seconds to pit and get back out on the track. It is easy to pass someone when they are stopped. Double check his position BEFORE anyone had pitted!

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
Colton545 said:
I relize that but there are certain advantages doug henry had such has starting in first.
Nope, Chad Reed hole-shot and lead until DH dove inside and stood him up. He then pulled out a 20+ second lead. Of course he did have the advantage of actually going faster than anybody else! :laugh:

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I missed the first part of the race, but I heard McGrath was as fast if not faster then Henry, but collided with Ward on the first lap.

Also, there is no way Pastrana would have medalled with a faster pit stop. Shave 20 seconds off his pit stop and he might have moved up a couple of places, at best.

Anssi

May 20, 2001
In the pass Henry put on Reed, they were already out of the turn when the almost-contact happened. Seemed like CR just hadn't realized he had been passed and that was the only reason he had to make the correction.

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
Henery is awsome, and has been for a long time. I remember watching him race nationals before his first major injury and being very impressed, then I was at budds creek for both crashes and even got to hang with him for a bit when he returned:) The nicest, cleanest, hardest working guy you'll ever meet imo:thumbup

dante

Mar 24, 2004
Anssi said:
In the pass Henry put on Reed, they were already out of the turn when the almost-contact happened. Seemed like CR just hadn't realized he had been passed and that was the only reason he had to make the correction.

no they were at they apex whe henry made contact with reed... I don't think CR felt like crashing on the street for an exibition race

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
The big jump over the stands really hurt the roadrace guys... Last year most of the top five were roadracers..

Top Bottom