Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
It's got to be the best series of images ("Best of 2006") I've seen to date. By photog Rex Backman. AWESOME work. If you read this Rex.. congrads, it's a great look at the sport that most of us never see.

Trust me, it's worth a visit.
http://www.rexbackman.com/gallery/Album5.htm

I mean.. come on. This stuff is really very good. Yes, there are the typical roost shots as well.
Examples:

Hangtown_Spray.jpg

The Man.
DeCoster_Washougal.jpg

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
Hmm, it really doesn't do it for me. There was a couple of his pics that were "ok" but that's it. I'm not trying to slam the guy or doubt his expertise, but his stuff just doesn't do it for me. I've seen pics posted by DRNer photogs that impress me more than his gallery. Just my opinion though...

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
I could have been more specific than "stuff we usually don't see" .... Chili nailed it, it's the NON racing shots that rock... the mags are full of the big air, roost, etc., all great stuff in their own right. What I like about this guy's stuff is the more personal look at a sport seen behind googles. There's something inpersonal about seeing everyone in helmet and goggles... we like it when we can see their eyes.

He captures people that race. Some of the expressions are awesome.
This one of RV? Seriously, that's art right there. Yeah so the crop could be a tad better... it's still very strong.

Villopoto_Washougal.jpg

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
That RV one stood out, as well as JLAW sitting up agains the fence.. Nice work

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
Okiewan said:
Hey Greenie.. when you do better stuff than that, you promise not to forget the little people? :p
It's got nothing to do with better or worse. I'm just saying his shots don't do anything for me. Perhaps it could be because I'm not a big moto-fan to begin with, I don't know??? I'm sorry, did I give a wrong answer again? :debil:

will pattison

Sponsoring Member
Jul 24, 2000
:whoa:

oboy....ah....er...how do i say this?

okie....you used to be my hero, but you've been replaced. :laugh:

sorry, man, but...

rex beckman is my god!! all hail The Beckman!

only looked at a quick few, but that is amazing stuff - if i went to a national and shot all day, this would be my "perfect set of race pictures"! i was particularly pleased that he shot not one, but several images of TIRES!! i especially liked this one:

Tires_2.jpg

:cool:

wp.

B

biglou

I have some of the "human shots" like these that I shot on film at the 1996 NORBA Championships in Helen, GA. I'll take pics of those pics and post'em. Then again, if they're not as great as I remember, maybe I won't!

Philip

Dirtweek Junkie
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 15, 2002
Very inspirational! From a photog's perspective anyway. I love the stuff you never see. My buddy used to do weddings and he would have me come along and shoot the stuff behind the scenes in black and white. Like the bride holding hands with her mother during a prayer, or the tears on the fathers face, or grandpa helping grandma with her flower on her dress, etc. Man he would sell a ton of that stuff. He always says "capture the emotion and it will sell itself". Must be why Disney and funeral homes make so much money. :laugh:

kenc1959

Sep 15, 2006
I find myself wandering the pits, the spectaor area looking for those kinds of shots. I do have to admit I do not have the eye for the detail or composition Rex has in his images. I did notice one thing in common in many of the images and in person. A rider has a cetain intensity in his (her) eyes just before and after a race. He seemed to caputre that in several of the shots.

Top Bottom