Aug 13, 1999
Sound off here:

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/soundoff/

Monday, February 17, 2003

Legislature 2003: It's muscles vs. motors
Bill highlights battle between hikers, dirt bikers for funds

By PHUONG CAT LE
SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER REPORTER

OLYMPIA -- The battle between muscle and motor is revving up in the backcountry as the Legislature considers whether to shift funding for maintaining off-road trails and facilities.

Hikers, mountain bikers and other non-motorized recreational users are fighting for a greater share of state fuel-tax money and could get it under House Bill 1698.

That's set off a firestorm among those who prefer exploring the backcountry on trail motorcycles, three-wheelers or dune buggies.

"This bill tries to move funding into the areas that generate it and need it -- hiking trails, campgrounds, bicycle trails, and cross-country ski trails," said Rep. Mike Cooper, D-Edmonds, the bill's sponsor and chairman of the House committee that heard the bill last week.

The pot of money in dispute is relatively small -- just over $5 million for the next two years -- but the friction is huge.

It's a fight over precious resources at a time when the state is strapped for cash. And it highlights the ongoing clash between deeply held beliefs about who should have access to public lands.

"Whether we're talking about $5 million or $5, that's a pretty big issue for people," said Jim Fox, special assistant to the director of the Interagency Committee for Outdoor Recreation, which administers these grants.

Hikers groups have complained for years that they outnumber dirt bikes but don't get a fair share of funding to maintain foot, bicycle or horse trails. They've lobbied hard in Olympia to change those rules.

In the early 1970s, legislators set aside the tax paid on gasoline consumed while driving to the backcountry or using a dirt bike off road to put toward those activities. One percent of state gasoline tax revenue now supports "Non-Highway and Off-Road Vehicle Activities."

Currently, the motorized users receive 80 percent of NOVA money. The remaining 20 percent is available to hikers, horseback riders or mountain bikers.

Cooper's bill would make more available to the non-motorized group.

It would set aside 50 percent for signs, campgrounds, buildings and restrooms for both groups. The other half would be open to both parties through a grant process, with each getting no more than 60 percent of that portion.

In the past, groups including the U.S. Forest Service have used the money to rebuild washed-out footbridges, build restrooms and maintain dirt bike or foot trails.

With limited land and facilities and increasing popularity of all kinds of outdoor recreation, people are bumping into each other in the backcountry, Fox said. "When you get things that crowded, you're bound to get some conflicts."

Lining up on one side are hiking and mountain biking groups, including The Mountaineers, the Washington Trails Association and the Backcountry Bicycle Trails Club.

On the other end are the Northwest Motorcycle Association and the Washington State Snowmobiling Association.

The bill comes on the heels of a Legislature-funded study that examined who was consuming gasoline in the state's back roads. The last such study was done in 1973, and the hiker groups have pushed for a new study because they believe that hikers and mountain bikers were also using the roads to get to trailheads.

Cooper said his bill is backed by that study, which shows more people engaging in non-motorized sports.

The survey was sent to about 7,250 vehicle owners and found that 20 percent of the 25.6 million gallons consumed on off roads was associated with four-wheel drives, motorbikes and other motorized activities. Another 30 percent was for hiking, mountain biking, horseback riding and cross-country skiing.

And nearly 50 percent was for activities such as camping, sightseeing, hunting and fishing.

"I feel very confident that the consultant used the right methodology," Cooper said.

But many who testified against the bill disputed the study's validity.

"When I saw the study come out, it didn't seem to align with what I'd seen," said Rep. Cary Condotta, R-East Wenatchee, who owns several motor sports dealerships and testified against the bill. "The market is expanding and more people are interested."

"We believe a grave mistake will be made with this," added Tod Peterson of the 1,500-member Northwest Motorcycle Association.

Dave Hiatt of the Northwest Motorcycle Association said the NOVA fund was created with "the sole intention" of providing a funding source for off-road vehicle activities.

But bill supporters said those who walk, bike or ski in the woods also pay the gasoline tax to get to those trailheads and should get a fair share of that money.

"Allocation levels revealed by the study should be supported," said Jonathan Guzzo, advocacy director for the Washington Trails Association. "It should flow to the people."

P-I reporter Phuong Cat Le can be reached at 360-943-8311 or phuongle@seattlepi.com

bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
I sounded off:

=================================================

It seems that the following misstatement of fact is being tossed around repeatedly in regards to the battle over NOVA funding:

Motorized users now get 80 percent of tax money earmarked for "Non-Highway and Off-Road Vehicle Activities"; 20 percent is available for hikers, horseback riders and mountain bikers.

In reality, non-motorized users actually receive 100% of the NOVA funding. Hikers have, at their disposal, every recreational trail and facility in existence in the state of Washington. Mountain bikers and horseback riders are prohibited from the trails that are hiking only. Dirtbikes and snowmobiles are prohibited from trails that are deemed non-motorized, ATV's are prohibited from singletrack type trails and finally, 4x4's are prohibited from the narrower dualtrack trails.

There is absolutely NOTHING that prohibits non-motorized uses on motorized trails, except personal choice. I have met many non-motorized users on motorized trails and there has been no problem with the multiple use of the facility. In fact my family and I are quite often non-motorized users of motorized trails.

Therefore, I would say that a more accurate statement would be:

Non-Motorized users now get 100 percent of tax money earmarked for "Non-Highway and Off-Road Vehicle Activities"; 20 percent of which, is available for the exclusive use of non-motorized users.

I would also like to point out that NOVA stands for "Non-Highway and Off-Road Vehicle Activities" it's very name implies that the funding was established to benefit Motorized activities. If you look at the history of the legislation establishing the fund, you will see the intent was to create opportunities for the growing number of Off-Road Vehicle enthusiasts to legally and responsibly recreate on our public lands. There have been and still are numerous funding sources for non-motorized recreation via Federal, State, County and even local municipal programs. Such funding is rare when it comes to motorized recreation.

The voters of Washington voluntarily relinquished their rights to a refund of the gas tax dollars generated in their Non-Highway and Off-Road Vehicle activities in exchange for a funding program that was supposed to develop opportunities for the very activities that generated the funds. Both motorized and non-motorized activities usually generate Non-Highway gas taxes when traveling to the recreational facilities. Once at the trailhead though, the generation of "gas tax dollars" for non-motorized activities is over. The motorized recreation is certainly generating additional "gas tax" funds.

It is interesting to note that the original 1973 study determined that 4.6% of the gas tax was generated by Non-Highway and Off-Road Vehicle Activities. The fund was capped at 1% and most of that funding has little to do with actually creating Off-Road Vehicle recreational opportunities. Everywhere you look you see the statement that Off-Road Vehicle sales are exploding. It only stands to reason that the percentage of gas tax generated by these users has also increased since 1973 yet, the funding levels have never increased. In fact the funding level has never represented the actual amount that the original study found to be generated by eligible activities.

Now the lawmakers present HB1698 which, if passed will waste more of the limited funds for additional studies. What good will additional studies do? There are no provisions for adjusting the NOVA funding based upon the studies. Shouldn’t there be a provision that would require the funding to represent the percentage of gas tax generated by the group that generated it?

Philip

Dirtweek Junkie
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 15, 2002
Gave them my .02 cents bbbom. :thumb:
Send them down here we are used to bad politicians and stupid lawmakers. :flame:
You have to get your voice out there and let them know they have something to lose.

Last edited:

Highbeam

~SPONSOR~
Jun 13, 2001
I replied as well. Even a brief statement is something.

"To whom it may concern,

It must not be forgotten that mountain bikers and hikers benefit from 100% of these funds. There are no trails, trailheads, or other "motorized facilities" that prohibit hikers. To say that 80% of these funds are allocated to motorized use is false and misleading.

It is my opinion that trail facilities that exclude particular recreational uses should not receive any of these funds.

Thank you for your time,

Joe Fessler
Buckley, WA
"

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
done :thumb:

Highbeam

~SPONSOR~
Jun 13, 2001
Sorry-off topic.

Hey bsmith, since you sold me that parts bike and have had a past interest in xr500s, take a peak in the next few hours at my/your old bike for sale on ebay. It is amazing what people will pay for a 20 year old bike. I replaced it with a 2001 xr400. Love the hondas.

Tod

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2002
Originally posted by MXP1MP
Isn't the WTA the sierra club chapter of wa? that or basically the same thing.

Possibly worse. They have about four thousand members, do alot of volunteer trail work and unfortunately many of the hard working hiker don't have a clue about the type of crap their leadership feeds them. Not only do they hate us, but they also are slightly quiter about their dislike of mountain bikes and horses.

One of their heros summed it up for me. I heard Harvey Manning say the he hated anything that traveled faster than him and he was getting slower ever day.

bbbom made some real good points, but don't let is slip by that the NOVA fund is just chump change compared to the millions of dollars the non-motorized trail user get from other sources. The only reason the WTA is going after the NOVA funds is just plain hate.

Tahuya Rat

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 11, 2002
Mine was much shorter then bbom's superbly worded reply;

to:soundoff@seattlepi.com

Your statement that motorized users get 80% of the fuel tax money is wildly misleading and has resulted in misinformed responses.
100% of trails open to motorized users are shared with non motorized users. The mantainance on these shared trails is paid for by gas tax dollars that would normally be available as a refund as the fuel is used for off highway use.
A significant portion of these funds supports DRN off road enforcement and education personel, whose efforts benefit 100% of users.
HB 1698, SB5401 (sec 359) and HB 1165 (sec 359) will shift the bulk of shared trail user funds to non-shared trail user groups.

Bruce

*shoulda been DNR, not DRN (oops)

Last edited:

Tahuya Rat

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 11, 2002
BTW, it would be helpful to know just how many dollars groups like the WTA get from State & Federal sources, funds that are not shared with us. Rags like the Seattle PI are making it look like we're kicking the hiker's out of the forest by being greedy with the few funds available when we all know it's just exactly the opposite.
It takes a tremendous amount of effort and facts to counter calculated deceptive practices by those who buy ink by the barrel.

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
Congrats on the new bike :thumb:

I couldn't find it on e-bay, what did you get for it?

Highbeam

~SPONSOR~
Jun 13, 2001
$1350 delivered to Portland. Hot dog. Not bad for a purchase price of 600$ 1.5 years ago.

http://cgi.aol.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2403785314

dog2

Sep 26, 2002
I sent
my reply:

Legislature 2003: It's muscles vs. motors
Bill highlights battle between hikers, dirt bikers for funds

By PHUONG CAT LE
SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER REPORTER

This article is very misleading and leads readers to the wrong conclusion. There are two blatant misrepresentations here:
1) The ORV (off-road vehicle) trails only benefit ORV’s. In fact, ORV trails are open and enjoyed by all types of users including horses, mountain bikes, and hikers. Some of the best mountain bike trails in the state have long been created and maintained by the ORV community.
2) The NOVA funds were created by the OHV community, for the OHV community, but all trails are open to all users. The article would lead readers to believe that the only source of funds for hiking trails is the NOVA funds. In fact, the opposite is true. The vast majority of trails are not open to ORV’s and are maintained by other funding sources. The very few ORV trails need trail maintenance funded by NOVA.

Other problems with this bill is that the money will be spent on signs, restrooms, studies, and parking areas. In other words, things that don’t help maintain trails and reduce environmental impacts of true multi-use trail systems. A few obviously incorrect words in this article have twisted the truth and mislead the readers.

Top Bottom