firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
A few months ago I posted about a friend who suddenly found out he had cancer. Well, in the months between then and now, he's gone uphill and down. The tumors in his head, neck, chest, stomach and kidneys have all shrank or gone away entirely. But the one(s?) in his lungs were not responding. They tried different types of chemo, and for the last month or so it started to work--but the treatments themselves were making him too sick to do anything. He went into the hospital about a week ago, and they drained almost a gallon of fluid, and he started to feel better. Yesterday he went into the ICU and they found a new tumor--probably inoperable, they don't know yet--in his throat. He has been sedated ever since.

They've given him two weeks. Hopefully he will wake up in a few days so I can go see him, I don't think I could handle seeing him unconscious.

I've never lost anyone before, and it looks like my streak of luck has ended.

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
sorry to hear about your friend. The best we can do is offer our prayers and support. You and your friend have both.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Keep your head up, My thoughts and prayers too you and your freind.. I hope you get too make the visit, unconcious or not, i think he would appreciate it..
Rick

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Make the visit, as said above I'm sure that he would appreciate it. Also you may regret not going in years to come. Both of you will be in my prayers as well.

Kevin

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Originally posted by rickyd
make the visit, unconcious or not, i think he would appreciate it.. 

Most definitely make the visit.  You'll be a lot more at peace with the situation once you do and it will mean more to him than you know.

MXSparx

Mr. Meltsomeglass
Jul 25, 1999
NoVa
Sorry to hear about your friend. My bosses wife lost a similar battle this past summer. Long drawn out illnesses are tuff.

Thoughts and prayers from the right coast.

Kav

Crash Master
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 20, 2001
FC, I'm very sorry to hear about your friend, at least you have a chance to say goodby.
:(

Last edited:

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
I am so sorry to hear this. Definetely make the visit, it may hurt to see him unconscious now, but you'll regret it in the long run if you don't go. If you do go, it'll help ease your mind a bit.

You and your friend are in my thoughts and prayers.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
FC ... go to visit him even if he is not conscious. He will know you are there. This is very important for both of you, take it from somebody that has buried way too many people. May my prayers be with you both.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
I'll echo what Tony said.  Some blessing are not pleasant but you must be there for the both of you.

SirThumper

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
Sorry to hear about your friend Sharla. Don't think, that it wouldn't matter if you went to see him while his is sedated. It matters to you, you can handle it. Be strong.

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
Another 'sorry to hear' from me. My best wishes to you and your visit.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
What Tony said :thumb:

Even if you don't think he'll know you were or were not there you will.

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Sorry to hear this FC22 - will say a prayer.

Alan

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Sorry about your friend, Sharla.  :(

Make the visit-- tough to do, but you'd regret it if you didn't go.

Milk

Looking for Mr. Right
Jun 28, 2002
Sucks Sharla and Im sorry.

I lost a friend in July and she was only 28. Dam nthe cancer.

I didnt go see her in her final days because she wasnt the same person at all. I wanted to remember her for the strong woman she was at her best, not what she was at the end. I think its a hard choice, but its yours. I have no regrets for not seeing her in her final days. I said my goodbyes at her funeral.

Last edited:

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Thanks everybody.

I went to the hospital today. Brian woke up sometime early today or last night, according to a friend who called his dad. I convinced the ICU nurses to let me in--even though I told them I was his cousin, at first they said only close family, then they gave in. His dad was there for a little while but left after a few minutes. I stayed for about an hour. He was awake, sort of, but not very alert. They've got him pumped full of sedatives and painkillers and God knows what else. He's on a respirator, so he can't talk around the tube in his throat. He opened his eyes when I said hi and seemed to recognize me. I talked to him a little bit, and just sat there for a little bit. Sniffling the whole time. Finally he seemed to fall all the way asleep so I left. His doctor came in for a few minutes before that, and said that they might try to take the tube out of his mouth tomorrow if he is strong enough to breathe on his own. We can only cross our fingers. I'll be going back tomorrow.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom