Hey Elk, Have you heard about this?

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
This was sent to the Yahoo KTM Ring by the admin. Has anyone heard of it? Sounds like it is at least a way to keep honest folks honest.

DIRTBIKE ANTI-THEFT WEBSITE
(From: James Horsnell)

Dear Dirtbiker,

We have recently started a website which we hope will be at the forefront of fighting the increase in dirtbike theft.

Our website is trying to gather worldwide a database of bike models, engine and frame numbers and list them with the owners name and basic details.

In future we would hope that when people plan to purchase a second hand dirtbike that they run a check on our site to see if the bike is stolen or not and that the person selling the bike is the rightful owner. At this stage we are limited with the service we can provide by the amount of bikes currently registered on the site. In a perfect world we would have every dirtbike in the world registered on the site and people purchasing a second hand bike wouldn't hand over their money until the bike is checked with our site and given the all clear. By sending you this e-mail we hope that you check out the site and inform as many fellow dirtbikers of its existence and to encourage you and others to join the site.

If we have the backing of the dirtbike community we will surely make an impact on bikes being stolen, remember yours or anyone's bike can be stolen at anytime. If this website succeeds in its aim its going to make life very hard for dirtbike thieves to sell a stolen bike second hand and may shut them down altogether.

Registering a bike is free so join today together we can make a difference.

Regards,

James Horsnell
Operations and web design
www.dirtbikedatabase.com

P.S. I can't get the address to work, so I don't know if it is operational yet.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
I found a site like that one before but it wasn't too popular. A bike needs to be in the stolen vehicle system for it to really work. Not all folks report their bikes stolen. The site could also be used by trolls to see if someone is looking for the bike they stole themselves. If it's not on the site yet, they sell it to someone right away before it gets into the system. It's really tought to walk the fine line of giving info about stolen bikes when someone asks. I trust everyone here that I know and I'm always open to helping them. The best way is to get the vin off the bike you are going to buy and call your local PD or me and I'll check it right away, you don't need a site for that. Here's the other problem. You can get a guy that steals a bike, checks the site to see if it's stolen or checks wiht his PD to see and if it isn't in the system yet, he goes and registers it in his name right away. That causes a problem when the owner reports it stolen because all of a sudden, it's out of his name. This stuff happens, trust me.

I think all that site will do is put out stolen bikes nationwide which may help but usually, the vins are already in the system as stolen in they are checked through law enforcement.

Here's something else I thought of, a guy goes to buy a bike, checks the site, finds out it's stolen but still wants the bike. He goes to the seller and says hey, this bike is hot, I'll give you 500 bucks instead of the 4k you want. Like I said, it might create a big fishing hole for the lurkers using it in the wrong fashion, unfortunately. In a perfect world, it would be great but I'll stick to helping my fellow DRNers myself, personally.;)
Elk

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Thank you SIR!
I appreciate your thoughts, voice of experience and words of wisdom.
I knew you could lead us a long way down the road to enlightenment. :thumb:
If you had just seen that rock and pointed it out to me BEFORE I tripped on it ..... :)

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Tony, I could point out a huge boulder in front of you and you'd STILL try and go through it!:)

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
Or it could be like in "Gone in 60 seconds" and become a nice shopping list for someone to hack into for finding specific bikes.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
That's why I limit my accesibility to DRN members and there frineds/family. I can only help the world one dirt rider at a time!;)

Top Bottom