Hey everybody, does this sound like a scam to you?

Canmx120

Mar 25, 2006
Alright, I wanted to get some opinions about what I should do with regards to purchasing a 2005 cbr600rr for only $3000 Canadain!
I first saw the bike listed on Kijiji, sent an e-mail and asking if the price was correct and that nothing was wrong with the bike, it had a clear title, etc.

I got this response:

Hi,
Sorry for the delay,I'm Sylvia,let me know if you're still interested my bike, a 05 Honda CBR 600rr,with 4500 km I must tell you this bike was never been involved in a accident, no damage, no rust and i can say that is in perfect condition and you will love it if you will decide to move forward.
The price is not negotiable $3,000.00 firm.I sell at this price because I just finished the divorce with my husband. When the divorce has finished I own this bike. Now as a women I don't need.
If you have any questions or need more photos please e-mail me.
Thanks.

Ok, seems innocent enough, the only thing that bothered me was that the grammar and how she structured her senences seemed a little off to me, but who's perfect right?

I responded 4 days later(was busy all weekend with a motocross race) saying I was interested, where/when can I see it, and if she still had it.

I got this response:

Hi,
The CBR is located right now in Edmonton, at the shipping company eBay, is packaged and waiting for delivery.I'm really sorry for you but we can't meet face to face because I'm moved to my parents here in Edmonton because i just finished the divorce with my husband and i have moved to my parents for a while.You will have 10 days from the time you receive to inspect it and decide if you want to keep it or not, if by any reason, you will not be satisfied, you will return the bike to shipping company with no expense.
The transaction is simple, you will make the payment through eBay and their service will act like a third party and will hold the funds until you will receive and inspect the vehicle.
If you want to buy it please email me your full name and address for shipping so I can initiate the transaction through eBay. After that they will contact you with all necessary information about this transaction(terms,buyer protection,payment instructions,invoice,etc.)

Thanks again!

Alright, more questionable grammar and such, but finding out it's in Edmonton, on the other side of the country is whats bugging me. I know ebay is safe, and as long as it's not a copy site(looks like the original, but not) I'm thinking this is legit.

Can some of you guys weigh in on this? If it's for real I can get a $7000++ bike for $3000+shipping.

ZOMBIE666

Mar 24, 2006
sure sounds like a scam. there was another 05 cbr600rr on craigs list last week i emailed and asked and got a very similar response... wonder if its the same douche bag. The ad i saw also got flagged down later that day.

You have to be really careful, these scammers are everywhere now

Dec 8, 2007
Those are copy pasted responses, or completely automated. Do you realize how many emails this person is getting, with regards to their ad. Its a full on scam. Try send em another email but from a diffrent email account, if they promise to send the bike to both emails then its not real.

jrf4x4

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2008
Its a scam i have gotten the same exacted email about a car, and i have got the one where her child is sick in the hospital and needs money, a couple of times.

jrf4x4

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2008
I got this one today.

Hello,
You made the right choice!2005 Yamaha YZF R1 is in great shape,no engine problems,damages or hidden defects. It was always garaged and never kept outside. I`m a single mother with 2 children because i divorced with my husband and after the divorce i own this bike,i don`t need it and that`s why i`m selling it so cheap. The mileage is 1,880 and the price is $2,960. We will use eBay`s protection program for our safety. I just need your full name and address so i can open a case. (with no further obligation or fees).Have a nice day!

P.S : Please don't forget to send your full name and shipping address if you are interested to buy

Canmx120

Mar 25, 2006
Yea, it was a scam for sure, but I don't get why they still propose to use e-bay, when that would guarantee thier scam wont work...
After I agreed to using escrow.com they didn't respond back.

Uchytil

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 29, 2003
Here's my 2 cents

Like the saying was said - "If it seems too good it probably is". I find what I want. Then I ask very specific questions about the product. Then I inspect the product and ask more questions. I usually don't purchase the same day unless I'm 100 percent sure the sale is legitimate, what I really wanted, and if the price is right. During the first inspection I decide if I should offer less based on many factors. I never insult the seller by lowballing - I do my research concerning a products actual value before I go. Sometimes the seller will consider things like your willingness to travel, ie. gas/time, your end use, even if you have things in common. I know this seems tedious, and expensive given gas prices, but it works for me. Of course this is for the larger item. Parts and pieces can sometimes be a crapshoot but even there you can develop a relationship with a seller and become comfortable. Bottom line, if I could'nt see the bike first I would'nt be interested.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
Canmx120 said:
Yea, it was a scam for sure, but I don't get why they still propose to use e-bay, when that would guarantee thier scam wont work...

I know a few people that have sent money for e-bay purchase and never received their merchandise. Everyone I know (me included) that purchased a vehicle, drove up to inspect it before handing over the money, though.

Good to know they have an escrow service though. Very good thinking on your part.

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
Canmx120 said:

They aren't actually using ebay. ;)

Top Bottom