Hey, I just figured out something....

Hucker

~SPONSOR~
Sep 15, 2000
In another post I talked about having a prob while riding up hills, and controlling the throttle properly while standing up. Well, I went outside just to look at my bike and figure out why I am having such a hard time. Then I looked at my bars, CHA-CHING!!! my bars were way to far back for my size. I'm 6'3, not the smallest guy out there. So I loosened up on the clamps and turned the bars up to they were at their maximum height.

Holy smokes does this make a difference. First of all I don't have to bend over as far (I know its only a inch or so, but it feels different). And I don't have that feeling like I am going to flip over the bars. So know I am leaning forward more, and just feel alot more comfortable.

Thanks for your help guys, this is probably the best mod I've ever done :) And it didn't cost anything.

------------------
'91 RM 250

Feb 24, 2001
hehe that sounds pretty good. I only wish that everything was as simple as this to solve :)

------------------
Special Thanks To: Socal/Decal Works, Vortex, RK Chain, ScottUSA, Excel Rims, XXXMAIN.com.

http://dirtydirtbikers.com

cr250242

Apr 14, 2001
How should your handlebars be set to your height ? I am 5.9 and never gave it any consideration, I just used stock setting on every new bike and this one I moved them down because it seemed more confortable.

------------------

Hucker

~SPONSOR~
Sep 15, 2000
I have no idea how it should be set. It just felt really weird when I would go to stand up. It felt like my arms were angled back towards my seat, instead of being a bit forward of my shoulders. I rode yesterday and improved more than I ever have.

------------------
'91 RM 250

CR307

Apr 12, 2001
As a tall rider myself, (6'4") the bars make a huge difference. I bought the Renthal bars for me and would not trade. Keep climbing then move to the jumps!

------------------
Brian
CR 250
Ride Red

Hucker

~SPONSOR~
Sep 15, 2000
Originally posted by CR307:
As a tall rider myself, (6'4") the bars make a huge difference. I bought the Renthal bars for me and would not trade. Keep climbing then move to the jumps!

I have been thinking of aftermarket bars, but get confused to which bend I should use. I know the measurements mm's up then mm's forward. But your about the same size as me. Which bend do you use?

------------------
'91 RM 250

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
I hear ya Hucker!
At 6'3" and not doing too much shopping in the pettite department, I too had trouble riding in a standing position. Then the light bulb lit in my head (much like your "CHA-CHING"!), and I moved the bars forward.
One other setting that I played with was my clutch and brake lever angle. It made a huge difference in the comfort factor. I don't know if it made me any faster, but it put me in a better body position to go faster.

------------------
It's easy to be wise. Just think up something stupid to say, and don't say it!
My photos

[This message has been edited by Papakeith (edited 04-18-2001).]

KXTodd

~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2000
I was wondering the same thing,I'm 6'3 too, last time i rode i kept feeling like i was going to fly over the bars, i put new renthals on and wasn't sure where to set them , now i think i'll tilt them up some more. There are numbered line markings on them but nothing to line them up with?

------------------
1991 KX125
1991 KX60
1984 ATC 70

Hucker

~SPONSOR~
Sep 15, 2000
KXTodd: I just put them as far forward until they felt comfortable. Steering is definetly a bit different, but I got used to it pretty quick. The next bars I get are probably going to be the Renthal Hi-Bars....

------------------
'91 RM 250

Top Bottom