Hey JG, I know you are into Working out....

G

Hey JG, or anyone else..
   I have been working out on and off for a little while, But my problem is, I have no idea what to do. I mean I can sit there and bench press or what not, but what is the proper way? I have heard that you need to get the muscles before you get them cut or whatnot. So I was like lifting a lot of weight fewer times. Should I get on a schedule, like lift 140 lbs 15 reps with 3 sets or what? I also do curls, how many of those should I do? Any help would be appericated...
smile8.gif

------------------
    -racerx
     99YZ125
     West Virginia

Ivan Liechty

Aug 18, 1999
What is your goal?  Do you simply want a "cut" body or do you want to get into shape for riding?

I am not in that great of shape but I have become friends with a guy who knows his stuff and soon I will be trying an off-road targetted training program.

I will let you know how it goes.  But for now you need to identify your goals and then get with someone who knows about fitness to tell you how to get there.

JG may be a good person to talk to or OT, or Rich.  However, keep in mind some of their advice may tend to lean towards their goals so make sure you tell them your goals up front so they can help you the best.

------------------
Ivan Liechty
A#1 Annoyance
'93 WR250
Spartanburg, SC

G

Well, My goal would probably be, to get "CUT", but I would also like to get stronger also. Is it easier to get the mass first then get cut, or get cut then just add to it?

------------------
    -racerx
     99YZ125
     West Virginia

JG

Super Power AssClown
Aug 17, 1999
Hey racerx,
   I just saw your post. First off, do you want size along with the definition? How many times a week do you train? For how long? How much do you weigh? What do you want to weigh? Do you do any cardio?
How is your diet(its more important than you think)?
Give me a baseline about your training & nutritional habits and we'll see if we can get you stronger, and more cut

------------------
-John
99'RM300
Blackwood, N.J.

duner

Oct 25, 1999
I've been using the Steve Hatch Fitness Guide, and I like the results (so far). He also provides info online line @ http://www.hipersports.com/hatch.htm  . Hipersports sells the guide, and it gives explicit intruction on which exercises, reps, and good form. Good luck...

------------------
Are you sure that's a triple?

UPSMAN

Dec 2, 1999
jg
   i was reading your response to the working out question,maybe you can help me also i weigh 190 would like to weigh 180 or less . i dont care for weight training but would welcome a quick workout in that area , i have always been a runner and a cyclist what would you select for weight loss. and last but not least i would welcome any diet tips
                                                        thanks upsman

JG

Super Power AssClown
Aug 17, 1999
UPSMAN,
      If muscle mass is not your goal and you just want to tone up and shed a few pounds I would recomend the folowing:

1) Diet. By that I mean trying to reduce your consumption of simple carbohydrates & refined sugars. Instead focus more on lean protens(fish, chicken, turkey, lean steak).
Simple carbohrdrates are one of the main causes for obesity. Sugars in general raise insulin levels in the blood, which then leads to higher bodyfat. Even foods such as pasta rapidly break down into sugars in the body. So basicaly eat a moderate protein, moderate carbohydrats diet. Also don't forget about fat. Try to avoid saturated fats and instead choose monounsaturated fats such as olive oil. Also omega 3 fatty acids(found in salmon and other fatty fishes) are very important in your body. They even act as an anti inflamatory agent in your body Try to limit your total fat consumption, but remember ou do need fat in your diet. Very lowfat diets can also cause low testosterone levels.

2) Exercise.   If you don't want to build alot of muscle, do a circuit training type routine. Move from one exercise to another with little or no rest in between. That keeps your heart rate up and burns fat.
Cardiovascular exersize is also needed to burn fat. Studies show you burn far greater fat buy doing cardio first thing in the morning on an empty stomach verses later in the day after you have eaten. Try to train with weights 3 days a week on non consecutive days. Do cardio either immediatly after your workout, or first thing in the morning.

3) Rest.   It is very important that you get 7-8 hours of sleep every night. If you short change your body with sleep, your body will release alot of cortisol(catabolic hormone) wich breaks your body down. Also, try to keep stress levels as low as possible as that leads to cortisol release also.

------------------
-John
99'RM300
Blackwood, N.J.

<p align=right>01-07-2000 :Edited

G

Well, I weigh like 155 lbs. I would love to weigh like 165 lbs. What is the easiest way to gain weight. I have a really high matabolism (sp) and I can't gain any. I also want to get some more muscle, then make it all cut. So what would be the best weigh to get the muscles, then make them look good. I usually just eat what ever I can get my hands on and I never drink water. I would like to work out either mon. wed. and fri. or tue. and thur. whichever you think would be better. So what do you think would help me out? Thanks man...
smile6.gif

------------------
    -racerx
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 99YZ125
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; West Virginia

JG

Super Power AssClown
Aug 17, 1999
racerx,
     Follow the diet and rest advise that I already gave. Since you have a very high metabolism, you might benefit from eating whatever you get your hands on. Try to eat protein about 5 times per day though. This will insure your body is getting all the building blocks for the muscle that yo will be building.
    As for exercise, I recomend trianing 3 times per week(m,w,f).
Try this:   Monday-   Chest
                     bench press   3x 8-10
                     incline d-bell 3x 8-10
                     dips           3x8-10

Back
                     pulldown      3x8-10
                     d-bell row    3x8-10
                     barbell row    3x8-10
            Wedsday- Shoulders
                     mititary press 4x8-10
                     upright row    4x8-10
                     Arms
                     barbell curl  3x8-10
                     hammer curl   3x8-10
                     lying tricep
                     extension      3x8-10
                     pushdowns   3x8-10
            Friday-  Legs
                     Squats     4x10-12
                     leg ext    4x8-10
                     Stiff leaged
                     deadlift    4x8-10
                     Calves
                    standing raises 3x15-20
                    seated raises   3x15-20

Every other day do sme kind of ab routine also. Do every set to failure in this workout (just make sure you thoroughly warm up by doing 2 or 3 light sets before you do your *working* sets). By going to faiure, I mean lift the weight until another rep is not possible.
After your workout, eat a high calorie meal(500-600 calories) and be sure to include about 30-40 grams of protein in that meal. Every other week, alter the repitions you do. So if you do 8-10 the first week, do 10-12 the next, then go back to 8-10 the following week

------------------
-John
99'RM300
Blackwood, N.J.

<p align=right>01-07-2000 :Edited

UPSMAN

Dec 2, 1999
thanks jg for the info ive never had trouble working out the diet thing is my big problem , im what you would call a junk food junkie i have tried many times to clean up my diet. even when it makes me feel better i have a hard time avoiding sweets especialy chocolate.

G

Hey JG, Thanks a lot man. Sorry I didn't get back here sooner, but I had a busy weekend. Thanks for the list man, But what are the d-rows, and the barbell rows. Everything else I have heard of an know how to do, and thanks again man...
smile6.gif

------------------
    -racerx

bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
Just a thought but, there are several magazines and books that Joe Weider puts out.&nbsp;&nbsp;Men's Fitness Mag seems to have some decent articles on proper training & techniques & motivation.

If you are going to join a gym, it doesn't hurt to hire a personal trainer just to start out and get the proper techniques down and keep your motivation up.&nbsp;&nbsp;You can usually get one for a reasonable fee. I see a lot of people in gyms I have belonged to do more harm than good by using too much weight and bad form.

Ivan, let us know how your program goes. How does it differ from JG's two bodyparts per session workout?

Ivan Liechty

Aug 18, 1999
My workout may be changing soon.&nbsp;&nbsp;Go to http://www.mosquitonet.com/%7Emotosport/index.htm&nbsp;&nbsp;to see some of the info I am considering.

Right now I do a 3 day a week workout.&nbsp;&nbsp;I travel a good bit and usually only get 3 days free to workout.&nbsp;&nbsp;Lately it has been more but that can change easily.

I go to Gold's gym for all my workouts when in town and do 10 - 12 reps per set with only 30 - 40 seconds between sets.&nbsp;&nbsp;This is to keep my heart rate up.

I will vary it depending on how I feel but here is a brief synopsis.

I do chest and tri's on day one with 30 minute cardio on the eliptical trainer.

I do back and bi's on day two with 30 minute cardio.

I do legs on day three with 30 minute cardio.

If I have more time I will do a 45 minute to 1 hour cardio on day four.

Then I ride once on the weekend (a workout on its own).

This may all be changing soon.&nbsp;&nbsp;Keep in mind that I am new to working out but get my information from a friend who's fiance is an ACE certified trainer (Payday2 where are you when we need you?).

JG has overcome a lot to get in great shape so I would listen to him, he seems to know what he's talking about.&nbsp;&nbsp;Especially with the insulin thing.&nbsp;&nbsp;Cut back on soda's, drink more water and do a workout routine that matches what you have time for and what meets your goals.

------------------
Ivan Liechty
A#1 Annoyance
'93 WR250
Spartanburg, SC

G

OK, but what about all those weight gainer, and creatine, and all that good stuff out there on the market there is to take. Does any of that stuff actually work? I know I can't just sit on my butt and expect the muscles to come to me, unless I take steroids, but does it like help me out? Like what about vitimans? Or is it best to just stay away from all that stuff? Thanks guys!

------------------
    -racerx

mbfrey

Jul 19, 1999
Are there any good web sites out there than have free information on work-out plans?&nbsp;&nbsp;I am going to go ahead with a mountain biking plan (closest thing to dirt bikes and ATVs) from FitnessLink.com.&nbsp;&nbsp;A site dedicated to off-road racers would be helpful.

Payday2

Sep 29, 1999
RacerX,

Forget the supplement hype.&nbsp;&nbsp;The only thing you need right now (IMO) is a multi vitamin twice daily and 2000mg of Vitamin C spread out in divided doses through the day.

Weight gainers are nothing more than cheap protein powder, maltrodextrin, and alot of sugar.&nbsp;&nbsp;They will succeed in putting fat on you and that is about it.

Creatine is a great supplement for experienced trainers.&nbsp;&nbsp;Once you have some gym time under your belt (atleast 6 months), you may want to give it a try then.&nbsp;&nbsp;Just be sure to drink ALOT of water while taking it, or you may experience muscle cramping.

99.9% of all supplements on the market are snake oil.&nbsp;&nbsp;Pure marketing bs.&nbsp;&nbsp;There are a handful that actually have some science behind them (real science...not tainted and baised studies), and fewer yet that could not be replaced by a solid diet of real food.

As far as the steroid comment...even on the juice, sitting on your butt would not produce results.&nbsp;&nbsp;You'd get fat if you juiced and didn't workout.

JG has given some very good advice in this thread, and the workout listed looks solid.&nbsp;&nbsp;Stick with basic movements, use compound exercises (multiple joint movements like bench press, rows, and squats), use god form, and lift to&nbsp;&nbsp;get stronger, not to feed your ego.&nbsp;&nbsp;If you have to cheat, lower the weight.

Finally, don't discount the use of good, ole fashioned determination and hard work.&nbsp;&nbsp;Have you seen the Lance Armstrong commercial where he says everyone keeps asking him what he's on?&nbsp;&nbsp;His reply..."I'm on my bike, busting my ***, 6 hours a day."

I love it.

J&K&nbsp;&nbsp;

------------------

J&K Racing
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; #1&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
No Compromise.

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
The trainer at my gym also rides mtn. bikes competitively...hey, it's close to off-road. His advice to get lean is simple.

Diet:
Breakfast - 1 cup Cheerios w/half a banana or 1 cup raisin bran or 2 slices of toast with a banana or a whole bagel (no spreads) with a banana, 8 oz. glass of juice, 1 cup of coffee (optional).
Lunch - Turkey, chicken or tuna sandwich w/lettuce, tomatoes, onions pickles, sprouts and mustard (no mayo or miracle whip), small handful of pretzels, fruit (banana, apple, orange, etc.), 2 graham cracker squares.
Dinner - If it swims or flys, grill it using only lemon juice and pepper, salad w/o dressing, steamed vegetables, side of brown rice, banana or apple.
Drink a minimum of eight, 8 oz. glasses of water spaced throughout the day.
Exercise:
Cardio - 2 days with you heart rate at 60 to 65% of maximum for 30 minutes, 1 day with your heart rate at 65 to 70% of maximum for 20 minutes.
Weight Training - Full body workout (all major muscle groups) 3 days a week. 3 sets 12 to 15 reps at 75% of maximum (i.e. if you can bench press 200 lbs. maximum, you would bench press 150 lbs. 12 to 15 times for 3 sets).&nbsp;&nbsp;

I abbreviated the weight training session, it actually goes in to the individual exercises.&nbsp;&nbsp;There's also a section on bulking up which I can post later.

Ivan - I noticed in another post you stated that you don't get to eat right when you're on the road.&nbsp;&nbsp;When I have to travel, Subway becomes my favorite hangout. A 6" grilled chicken, turkey or veggie sandwich (no mayo, oil, vinegar or salt), a bag of pretzels and water. Of course when I go overseas it's another story. For some reason eastern Europe just doesn't believe in eating healthy and my system goes into shock...Pepto-Bismol and bottled water anyone?

G

Ok, Well I have come to the conclusion, I am gonna do the trianing program that JG told me. Work my butt of and eat lots of calories, and drink lots of water.&nbsp;&nbsp;I was drinking a can of 7up and it has 140 calories. So how many calories do I need a day. What should I stay away from and what would be a good source of calories. I know I should stay away from the gease like pizza! right? or do I have it wrong?
redface.gif

------------------
    -racerx

G

how the heck did I post that twice? I just now saw it!

------------------
    -racerx

SUnruh

Aug 24, 1999
racerx,
your training and diet should mimic the sport you're trying to be in shape for.&nbsp;&nbsp;as an example, Rich (a powerlifter) is not gonna eat and certainly not train for running a marathon.&nbsp;&nbsp;with that said, i imagine you are wanting to train for MX/SX.&nbsp;&nbsp;this would then require you to have at LEAST 45 minutes of endurance at race speed.&nbsp;&nbsp;pizza is not bad at all.&nbsp;&nbsp;typically gives you all the major food groups (bread,veggie,meat,milk) and has lots of carbs.&nbsp;&nbsp;most italian food is good.&nbsp;&nbsp;bad stuff is high in sugars (coke type drinks, candy, ....).&nbsp;&nbsp;you do need fat.&nbsp;&nbsp;if you don't eat it, your body will make it anyway.&nbsp;&nbsp;the low fat diets are horsecrap, imho.&nbsp;&nbsp;your body will NOT function without it.&nbsp;&nbsp;actually, in females, if they don't have 14% or more, their menstrual periods stop.&nbsp;&nbsp;

you need carbo high, balanced meals.&nbsp;&nbsp;as an example dinner: steak, potatoes, corn, bread, milk.&nbsp;&nbsp;you've got to eat to fuel the motor that your body is.&nbsp;&nbsp;just as you put good VP C12 in your bike, you've got to put good fuel in your body.&nbsp;&nbsp;if you go and put 4 candy bars and flush it down with 4 coke's a day, your body is gonna run like crap.

calorie intake is all a requirement of your output.&nbsp;&nbsp;the more you burn the more you need.&nbsp;&nbsp;yeah, this not the answer that you wanted to hear, but it just varies so much from person to person.&nbsp;&nbsp;
here is an example breakfast i used to eat as the height of my training:
4 bowls of Crispix cereal (big bowls), drink the milk too
8 strips of bacon (about 1/3 a package)
4 fried eggs
4 slices of american cheese (one on each egg)
6 slices of toast with strawberry jelly (jelly bad, but taste GOOD!)
2 glasses of orange juice
1 burp
then i'd take a 2 hour nap and wake up hungry for lunch.&nbsp;&nbsp;this was only enough to sustain my body weight.&nbsp;&nbsp;i could not really gain any weight cause i was not eating enough to add it on.

you need to start your work outs and then adjust your eating/diet to fit your training needs.

i doubt you'll ever come close to the 10,000+ calories a day i required.&nbsp;&nbsp;i hope you don't.&nbsp;&nbsp;the parents tend to go bezerk over grocery bills.

however, the information i know today would have done wonders for me had it been available back then.

------------------
Steve Unruh - V29 TCHSS
98yz250, 81yz125, 77yz80

JG

Super Power AssClown
Aug 17, 1999
racerx,
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Don't go TOO crazy on the carbs. I'd rather see you eat a moderate carb, moderate protein, and moderate fat diet. Try to eat a gram of protein per pound of bodyweight a day. Also, try to get about&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;20-30% of your calories from fat. Avoid saturated fat an consume monounsaturated fats, and fats high in omega 3 fatty acids(fish fat).
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;If your diet is too high in carbs, your bodyfat will certainly reflect it

------------------
-John
99'RM300
Blackwood, N.J.

SUnruh

Aug 24, 1999
JG,
yeah, the difference between a TRUE 6% body fat and 8% body fat from too many carbs will just kill a person.&nbsp;&nbsp;
wink.gif

i'd just love to see all of you power guys after you run out of ATP (23 seconds) into a 2 hour race.&nbsp;&nbsp;all of that quick burst power not worth a damn and just added weight for the next 1.9 hours.&nbsp;&nbsp;and lots of cramping for extra enjoyment.

stick with what you know, one incredible explosion that puts most mortals to shame and i'll stick with my Energizer Bunny imitation where i just keep going and going and going.
smile.gif

------------------
Steve Unruh - V29 TCHSS
98yz250, 81yz125, 77yz80

G

Ok, Well I am taking in all this info!

Steve, there is no way I could eat that much food in one day. I know I am a growing boy, but man that's a lot of food and you are only eating it for breakfast! lol.

This is my normal diet now.
Everyday I get up and come to work, well mon-fri. I usually don't eat breakfast. Sometimes I will eat a pop~tart, but very rare (my sisters usually eat them all). Anyways then I usually snack on something before lunch. Something like a candy bar, chips or something. Then we order out for lunch. Something It's usually some nice greasy fast food. Then, I don't eat anything else til dinner. Then sometimes I get home cooked, (thanks to Sarah's mom who now has me spoiled) and snack on things like chips and candy again! All this with probably about 5-8 cans of coke, mt.dew, dr. peper, et., a day. That's all I do at work is drink them one after another. So I can see now, than I need to get rid of the pop and bring in the water! I also think it would be healthy to eat breakfast. But what should I ear, I am way too lazy and not a cook by far, to cook eggs and all that, so I think I will stick with cereal... Are pop~tarts ok?
smile.gif

Then on mon. wed. and Fri. I need to do the workout JG did for me, and then I should become a "BUFF" man.. lol yeah right .. but anyway..
thanks for all the imput guys... I will let you know some results as soon as I get some.. lol months down the road!

------------------
    -racerx
     99YZ125
     West Virginia
    Hitting it 5th gear taped wide... you can't lose!
smile4.gif

<p align=right>01-18-2000 :Edited

SUnruh

Aug 24, 1999
racerx,
whoaboy!
after reading what your current diet is, i'm quite shocked you're not the Stay Puff Marshmellow boy.&nbsp;&nbsp;that is a LOT of cokes in a day.&nbsp;&nbsp;try to back that off to maybe 1 a day and have water instead.
NO breakfast!&nbsp;&nbsp;ARG!!!
most important meal of the day and you're skipping out.&nbsp;&nbsp;bad, bad, bad.
just imagine if you were mixing your oil/gas at 400:1 ratio.&nbsp;&nbsp;that motor is gonna blow, maybe not today, but it will blow!
find some kind of granola bar, cereal or even bread/toast.&nbsp;&nbsp;pop tarts withOUT the frosting are not that bad.&nbsp;&nbsp;muffins are good too.&nbsp;&nbsp;pack a lunch that is something like turkey or ham or chicken on whole wheat bread.&nbsp;&nbsp;add mustard and cheese and the like for flavor.&nbsp;&nbsp;Wheatables or dried fruit to go with it.&nbsp;&nbsp;vary it day to day so you don't get tired of it.&nbsp;&nbsp;have a cheat day ONCE a week for the grease group.&nbsp;&nbsp;pick stuff you like to eat, not so bad that way.&nbsp;&nbsp;diet alone will not get you in shape, but will help in preventing that shape from being a big lump.

------------------
Steve Unruh - V29 TCHSS
98yz250, 81yz125, 77yz80

Top Bottom