Hey, just joined the forum and looking for help

brickster

May 1, 2008
Hey guys and girls,

Glad to find this forum. 3 years ago I moved to a dirt bike paradise with huge mountain off road riding areas. Most of them have rutted bog/swamp/skag trails. I bought a Yamaha Rhino and I have put hundreds of very aggressive miles on my Rhino but am looking to get back to my dirt bike roots and need some help. I need to buy a dirt bike, and have not paid attention to the market for 20 years. Please help!

Try to include the following info in your first post
1) your physical size 6'3" 260"
2) How physical / aggressive are you ? Very aggressive
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ????? All trails in woods and deep bog, rutted trails
4) Do you have any riding experience? Yes, I grew up on a bike
5) Do you think you will race ? No
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work? Yes, and no. I can do it all but don't have time.
7) Do YOU have a preference to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? 4 stroke only due to noise and reliability.
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? I have a great Yamaha dealer close and would prefer Yammy. Second choice Honda.
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike? Up to $7000
10) Do you live in California? No
11) Your age? 35
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion. I am only excited by speed and risk, but need extreme reliability as I go deep into the woods with no support.

brickster

May 1, 2008
That's what I was thinking, but can't quite figure out the key difference between the WR and YZ 450s. Is one or the other better for what I am looking for?

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
The WR is an off-road bike versus an MX bike. I haven't looked at a WR in a few years now but based on history the WR along with the CRF450x from Honda versus the CRF450R are setup with much quieter exhausts and are usually setup with wide ratio transmissions as well as softer suspension setups and several other features that will make them more friendly on the trails.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
Based just on specifications the WR is very similar to the YZ as far as engine size, compression ratio, suspension travel, etc.

The primary areas they are different:

WR's sold in California, and perhaps all states, have emmision control stuff (which can be removed/defeated).

WR's have electric start & headlight, which means they have a battery, which means more weight.

WR's have a speedometer / odometer.

WR's have a kickstand. I personally really like having a kickstand.

For your use I would say that the WR450F would be a really good choice.

Rod

Top Bottom