Hey Ladies, How do I get my Wife to Ride?

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
I'd like to get her a bike (say XR200), but she's scared to death of the 2-wheelers! She went riding once long ago with my brothers (on their YZ80s, her on a DT100) and got crossed up in the ruts. Ever since its been "No motorcycles for me" from her.

I suppose I could get a couple quads, but you just can't go the same places with them.

Help me out, girls, please!

------------------
'97 XR400R

"You guys are a bunch of p@$$ies! This stuff'll turn you into a sexual Tyrannosaurus!"

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Hey Predator,

Does your wife show ANY interest in the bikes? Even look at them when she thinks you're not watching? It will be hard to get her to try again once she's had a bad experience.

Here's my little story-- I had my street bike license for about 6 months, and my husband wanted to show me the world of off-road bikes. He had an XT350 dual sport at the time, so I put my helmet on and climbed on behind him at our local riding area. What a hoot! I had never had so much fun. We went up hills and through trees, and even into some deep sand where he nearly dumped us. I was instantly hooked. Of course, it was a different matter when I tried to ride by myself through those same areas! But I was bound and determined.
Maybe a pillion ride for your wife on some nice trail would be a good way to re-introduce her to the fun of dirt bikes. She can enjoy the ride without having to worry about the controls.

Good luck! Keep us posted!

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Lori,

She is more interested in the quads, and rides like a wild banshee on them! She doesn't have the interest in the bikes, but I will keep trying. Maybe when I get my kid on one things will be different. He just has to get going on his pedal bike w/o the training wheels!

------------------
'97 XR400R

"You guys are a bunch of p@$$ies! This stuff'll turn you into a sexual Tyrannosaurus!"

Motogirl

Dec 2, 1999
I think you the fact that you want your wife to ride is great, but don’t push it on her, let her want to do it herself. If you push her to ride then the minute she falls and gets flustered she will want to quit. Do you have a friend that has a smaller bike like an 80, something where she is low to the ground may help her get to feel comfortable. And maybe a quad is a good way to get to feel comfortable on a dirt machine, then perhaps at a later time she can graduate to a dirtbike. you gotta crawl before you walk :)

------------------
"A Fact is anything you can get someone else to believe"

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Looks like I'll be getting a pair of quads this spring. I think it will be a better fit for us, we'll be able to take the kids (with one of those riding buddy setups of course).

I'm not getting rid of the XR, though. I'm holding out hope she'll come around!

------------------
'97 XR400R

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"

- Benjamin Franklin

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
XR, I met a woman about a year ago at an organised ride. She was just sitting in the carpark, so I got talking to her (I'm hopeless most of the time).

Anyway, Donna watched, supporting her husband and two sons with their riding and enjoyed just sitting around under the trees relaxing.

She had ridden a bike once, I can't remember what, but something like an XR70 (i.e. really small), got into a bad situation, panicked & managed to rip her hand. Her finger is longer now & has scars all over it & is still painful 3 years down the track.

However, she's part of the group in a way, because she's there & she's known to us.

Anyway, the point to this babble is, don't give up. About 2 months ago Donna decided to try riding again. As I'd pointed out to her, a bike more suited for her height was better than a little kid's bike.

She is now trying to learn to ride, getting no encouragement whatsoever from her husband, as far as he's concerned, she'd be better off selling it. She's stubborn (thankfully) and he just gets her more determined to get out there :)

And as for quads, I rode with a woman for about 8 months with a quad. I had a ball riding with her, but often would check tracks out to make sure they were quadable & report back. Or I'd put her in front to help her with problems she had.
Unfortunately she no longer rides quads.

I'm having a blast trying to help her gain confidence on two wheels though & will check tracks out to see how easy they are for her to ride.

Don't give up, she may give 2 wheels a go eventually :)

Hope that helps something.
Michelle

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Thanks Michelle, that helps a lot.

You ladies give good feedback--I appreciate it. It's nice to see the fairer sex out there enjoying the 2-wheeled fun!

------------------
'97 XR400R

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"

- Benjamin Franklin

Geoff

Oct 9, 2000
Predator -

Let her try out an XR100. And then introduce her to some other women who ride. Give her opportunities to try riding with people who aren't out there to do 50 miles+ in the shortest possible time. If she tries it and likes short rides on easy trails, she may be willing to keep working on it - the sport is not for everyone.

The XR100 is easy to ride and low to the ground - many riders feel very uncertain when their feet can't touch well, and there is too much to learn all at once with a high-powered little 2 stroke.

bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
Have to agree with Erin. Unless she is motivated on her own to get into bikes, it is better to start off with a very friendly bike. The shorter gals (5'0, 5'2") we used to ride with started out on XR100s and after a few year of those moved to KX100's. The XR100 is a great beginner bike, unless she is tall. As far as taking kids along, get them on bikes too!!! :) :) We take the kids - 5, 7 & 8 on their bikes and have a great time. I rarely get the CR500 out of first gear on those rides but, it is fun watching them learn.

CNM

Sponsoring Member
Dec 28, 1999
XR-

I think it's great you want to share riding with your wife. It really can be a great family experience. First thing though, don't push her. Let her start out on what she is comfortable with (even if it is a quad). The point is to get her out there. You can all still have a great time riding the four wheelers together. If she finally decides to try the two-wheeled ride again, definately go with an XR 100 or 200 (don't know how tall she is). They are very good beginner bikes and being able to put her feet down will really boost her confidence. Best of luck and have a great time!

[This message has been edited by CNM (edited 10-11-2000).]

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
bbbom, I'd get bikes for the kids, but the 5-year old has to get better on his bicycle first (he doesn't have the greatest balance in the world--long story), and my daughter is only 2. That is why I'm thinking 4-wheelers.

By the way, I see you live up at Mica. How come I don't see you out at Airway Heights at the hare scrambles? I'd like to see you out there on that CR500!

------------------
'97 XR400R

NEVER knock on Death's door.
...Ring the bell and run, HE HATES THAT!

bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
Hey XR,

I did the first harescramble out there this spring, my brother on his KX250 & me on my KLX300.

But, the rest of them have fallen on the same weekends as the races at Greyhound Park where my son has been racing. I would like to get my CR out there. It is much more fun to ride than the KLX!

Might see you out there at the Turkey Scramble. We are going to try to make that one.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Don't forget the one this weekend (10-22)! We'll be up there. (I'm the big guy on the #75 XR400)

------------------
'97 XR400R

Darn right I'm good in bed. I can sleep for days!

Top Bottom