Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Monster truck goes to market
By James R. Healey, USA TODAY

International, the heavy-truck company, thinks buyers are pining for even bigger trucks than today's hefty sport-utility vehicles and full-size pickups, and this week it begins marketing the world's largest production pickup.

Called CXT, for commercial extreme truck, it dwarfs the beefy Hummer H2 sport-utility pickup and even could call the hulking H1 military version "junior."

The CXT is 2 feet taller, 4½ feet longer, twice as heavy and totes more than five times the cargo weight of H2. "You can put the Hummer in back and take it with you," quips Nick Matich, vice president at International Truck and Engine.

It's also about twice the price of H2, about the same as H1. It starts at $93,000, runs $105,000 typically equipped and tops out at $115,000 with DVD player, leather upholstery, tilting dump box and rear-view camera.

Matich is planning only a few dozen — perhaps 60 — this year, but could gear up International's factory at Garland, Texas, to build thousands if CXT becomes the next "in" ride among those who think a Hummer's just not enough.

"People who got all excited about Hummer could be ready to move on to the next big thing," says Dan Gorrell at auto consultant Strategic Vision. "If it's got some style, panache, then there's probably a small market out there for it. It never ceases to amaze me what people want in the 'big' department."

The truck began as a "what-if" concept last year. International dealers quickly asked for production and have bought the first couple of dozen as rolling ads for their truck dealerships. Now International plans to pitch the rigs to consumers, mainly people with businesses who want their vehicles to make a statement. And to folks who just want more.

"You think about the people who haul big horse trailers, big boats, all that sort of thing. They have big egos, and you can see where that goes," Matich says. "I'll have a camouflage version next year. Hunting and fishing lodges should snap that up."

Matich says two CXTs will be at the Emmy awards pre-party next weekend. He figures the outrageous truck is as much image-enhancer for International as for-profit product.

Development was relatively cheap because the expensive hardware already is in production, used for International dump trucks, snow plows, concrete mixers and the like. The pickup box is a modified Ford unit. CXT has a commercial-duty diesel engine good for six to 10 miles per gallon of fuel; air brakes like you'd find on a semitractor; an Allison automatic transmission for severe duty; and all-wheel drive is standard.

Attachments

• newtruck.jpg
    newtruck.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 100

KDX1

Mod Ban
Jun 5, 2001
If I have that much money to drop on a truck, it will be a real one, Peterbilt 379 with an extended hood all chromed out. Dual stacks and breathers, aluminum wheels all around. Power would come from a 600 hp Caterpiller.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Even if I could afford it, I'd be to embarrassed to be seen in driving it.

Same goes for a Hummer H1...you just can't help but looking like some kind of jackass.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
it has air brakes, so I'll call it a truck :)
(even though it is a large pickup)

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
It starts at $93,000, runs $105,000 typically equipped and tops out at $115,000

$22k in upgrades?? I hope the totally equipped version comes with a Mustang in the back end.

splatt

Resident mental case
~SPONSOR~
Dec 1, 2001
One of the local GMC dealers have been selling something similar for a while now. They took a fully loaded Top Kick C4500 crew cab and put a pickup bed on it for about 60k.

Steve

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Okiewan said:
Matich is planning only a few dozen — perhaps 60 — this year, but could gear up International's factory at Garland, Texas, to build thousands if CXT becomes the next "in" ride among those who think a Hummer's just not enough.

Perfect for the eastern Metromess. Garland is "Pickup" country and this fits in the image to a T. I can see it now, HP Soccer mom firing up one of these babies and driving down Mockingbird Lane to get the well scrubbed kids at practice before going to meet well scrubbed dad for dinner at the local "weekly" "in spot".

Okiewan said:
"If it's got some style, panache, then there's probably a small market out there for it. It never ceases to amaze me what people want in the 'big' department."

panache my :moon:, it is big and gaudy. People in little "d" will love it.

Top Bottom