Hey Shocknut- yz shock spring rates

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
Shocknut: a while back, a topic came up on yz spring rates- i weigh 220lbs and suggested shock rates are 5.2mmkg-1. however, i remember you saying you had good resulsts with much heavier weights of spring.

as it happens, my yz came used- if the eibach codes are correct, the rear spring is a 5.6mmkg-1 it must be on there for a reason, but i doubt that the guy who traded this bike in was a 300lbs pro supercross rider. i have been though all sorts of trials and tribulations with the suspension on my yz, and i am beggining to wonder that the spring is just way too stiff on the shock.

i know you tested them, can you please let me know what you think before i go to the bother of getting some springs to test.

thanks

Bruce

Jeff Howe

Apr 19, 2000
I am 220 and I use a 5.4 on my 00 YZ 250. I tried a 5.2 and didn't like it as much as the 5.4kg I could never run the 5.0 that RT suggests I do. Another example...my best test rider was on 00 YZ 250 also, 165lbs, he could have chosen any spring he wanted, and his choice was 5.0, he had good sag numbers with it too. When he got his 02, he chose the same spring. RT will suggest a 5.0 for you. Go ahead and try it, you may like, but it was far from my cup of tea.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
thanks Jeff- the yz450 uses a 5.3 i think so that may be my first port of call since there should be plenty of take offs. i am only going by the codes on the spring but it makes no sence at all why they put an 5.6 on it- i get good sag numbers so i though i was OK- ive never liked the suspension on this bike and ive tried allsorts to no avail, if the spring thing works i will be kicking myself!

cup of tea???? thats one of my sayings, you traced your British roots? LOL:)

cheers mate :thumb:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom