May 17, 2007
I'm making an unexpected trip to the L.P. and Tony Eeds aka Teeds said I should post here.

I'll do a quick rundown.

Passion...Offroad DSing.

Bike...'07 DRZS.

I'll be in Clare, MI. 5/27 thru 6/2.

I'm planning to ride sections of the MCCCT for the 1st 3 days.

On 5/31 and 6/1 I'll be riding north from MNF to TC and back down to Clare via Grayling.

I've only had a few days to get started on my planning. :think: So far I've joined CCC and have my map, OHV sticker, and GPS data in the mail.

Anyone riding? Any advise?

Thanks,
Tim

Attachments

• 05180519.JPG
    05180519.JPG
    28.1 KB · Views: 221

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
Tim, Please tell Tony that we said - Hey!! If you need a place to camp that is north of Claire, let me know. It has very easy access to the trails and dual sport routes.

May 17, 2007
fatherandson said:
Tim, Please tell Tony that we said - Hey!! If you need a place to camp that is north of Claire, let me know. It has very easy access to the trails and dual sport routes.

I'll pass the ''hey'' onto Tony. I'm driving up in my motorhome, but leaving it and my wife with her family[''mom visit''] in Claire. Each day I'll ride and explore, but Thurs./Fri and maybe Sat. [am] will be overnight. YeeHaw!! :ride: I don't have time to get tent gear together and I'll wanna stay lite. So I'll have to hotel it :( or maybe I can find a cabin :nod: .

So I've got some research to do. I've emailed 2TrakR, I've seen that handle and your's on ADV [''cannonshot'' post 5/16/06]. Sounds like y'all could give me some good advice. :cool:

Things I must do!

Ride the best pavement[?] along the coast!
Ride as much singletrack as possible!
Cross the UP into Canada? Is it worth the run?
Tag along at least one day with some local riders.

Thanks for any input and advice!!! Tim

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
Smit-Dog said:
Don't miss riding Drummond Island on your way through da UP...

Ill be up there next weekend ya know. One more person to torment.....ahhh.....show around is no big deal :) Come on up :cool: we will be camping just south of the staging area all weekend.

May 17, 2007
YZMAN400 said:
Ill be up there next weekend ya know. One more person to torment.....ahhh.....show around is no big deal :) Come on up :cool: we will be camping just south of the staging area all weekend.

Hmmm....sooo... who we gonna torment? :laugh:

Thanks for the responses! :)

My itinerary has changed somewhat for the better!

Starting on Sat. 5/26;
Arrive and ride out of Claire through Mon.

Move RV to Cadillac.
Arrive Tues a.m. and ride through Wed.

Move RV near Traverse City.
Arrive Thurs. a.m. and do a 1 or 2 overnight ride.[tenting it]
Head back to Texas Sat. p.m.

It hasn't changed by much except now I'll be starting my overnight-ride from TC. This puts the UP in easy reach! YEEHAW!!! :ride:

Just a few quick questions;

1] What's Drummond Island like? Halfday of riding there? Where should I camp there?

2] What trails sections are the best for solo singletrack in the UP? I'll have 2 days.

3]Can you recommend any RV parks on water or near a launching ramp in Cadillac and Traverse City. We're bringing my wife's jetski.

Thanks for any input.
Tim

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
houstonthumper said:
Just a few quick questions;

1] What's Drummond Island like? Halfday of riding there? Where should I camp there?

Thanks for any input.
Tim

in a word......Nasty.

Rocks, Rocks, Rocks, Roots, Mud, More Mud, Mud covered Rocks, Mud covered rocks covered in Roots covered in moss.........Throw in a few downed trees...That about sums it up.

There is plenty of trail out there to keep ya entertained for en entire weekend. About 60 miles but its 60 loooong miles. A usual day out there is about 35 miles.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
fatherandson said:

Mike:

I have Michigan on my list of places to ride, and when I do, I will post far enough in advance that NONE of y'all could even think of making up an excure to not this slow ass southern boy, some of Michigan's finest trails.

I am taking over the helm as the President of the Texas Motorized Trails Coalition in July, so for the next little while (4 years) I can say I am doing "research".

Seriously, I am thinking next spring/summer/fall ... which season is best ... at least for slow ass southern boys ...

I haven't seen any of y'all since DW '05 and much earlier than that for many, not even counting the many that I have never had the pleasure to meet.

Y'all take good care of Tim now, ya hear!

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
Tony,
I think the best time to ride is either in the Spring or the Fall. We have an annual trail ride in the Fall (October) that is fun for everyone. Let me know when it is time for some research and we will arrange for the tour guides.
Tim,
Many of us will be at a motorcycle clubgrounds between Claire and Kalkaska for the holiday weekend. There are a few rides already planned in Wolverine, Frederic and Kalkaska for Saturday or Sunday. If you are interested in single track or dual sport, let us know.
Mike

May 17, 2007
fatherandson said:
Tim,
Many of us will be at a motorcycle clubgrounds between Claire and Kalkaska for the holiday weekend. There are a few rides already planned in Wolverine, Frederic and Kalkaska for Saturday or Sunday. If you are interested in single track or dual sport, let us know.
Mike

Thanks Mike,
I'll be setting up in Claire Sunday morning so I might be able to get out in the afternoon. I'll also be real free on Monday through late afternoon then I'm moving the RV to Lake Cadillac. I can pm you my cell number or give you a local number [Claire].

BTW, Thanks TONY!! 2TrakR has really helped me out! ;)

May 17, 2007
YZMAN400 said:
in a word......Nasty.

Rocks, Rocks, Rocks, Roots, Mud, More Mud, Mud covered Rocks, Mud covered rocks covered in Roots covered in moss.........Throw in a few downed trees...That about sums it up.

There is plenty of trail out there to keep ya entertained for en entire weekend. About 60 miles but its 60 loooong miles. A usual day out there is about 35 miles.

Added to the list!!! YEEHAW!!! :ride:

bruno670

Sep 13, 2006
Look for a couple of crazy CR500 Riders up there Probably Sunday. You might want to check out Birch Hill just outside Cedarville. Its only 9 miles long but I was told that it takes about 2 hours to complete.

May 17, 2007
bruno670 said:
Look for a couple of crazy CR500 Riders up there Probably Sunday. You might want to check out Birch Hill just outside Cedarville. Its only 9 miles long but I was told that it takes about 2 hours to complete.

Yup, CR500...I'd put all my money on crazy! ;) Betcha that's a hoot in the sand! Dang, I won't make the UP til' Thursday. :(

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
fatherandson said:
Tony,
I think the best time to ride is either in the Spring or the Fall. We have an annual trail ride in the Fall (October) that is fun for everyone. Let me know when it is time for some research and we will arrange for the tour guides.

Will do.

It has been too long since I last saw all y'alls shining faces. I miss DW. :(

Top Bottom