woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Bill, I just got your message about pulling a flywheel?? About 1 am and thought best not to call your house.. I have learned over the years that you may as well get a puller and not chance wrecking something.. What are you working on? If I have the puller you need and you wanna borrow it I can mail it to you..
Woodsy

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Hey Woodsy - When you get a chance, please give me a call on the number I left on the recorder.... Anytime between the hours of 7am - 9:30pm.

Thanks!

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Thanks Woodsy!

Neighbor had a puller, got 'em off and swapped... But still DOA!

Last edited:

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Hummmmm,, Bill did you disconnect the kill switch from the circuit to make sure it wasnt causing the issue??
I think the next step should be to get the resistance specs for the coils and test them with an ohm meter...
Little suckers can be tricky for sure,, now ya know why I lost all my hair!!
Woodsy

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
No, not fiddy problems (can't beat the XR's for reliability!).

This is that '97 CR80 that we had up at Wolverine in June. No spark situation that started at Camp Chaos.... Swapped in CDI and coil from a '96 CR80 parts bike, and it fired right up. Tried riding 20 miles a few weeks ago, and went through 4 spark plugs. Determined it was weak / inconsistent spark at best, so that's probably why the plugs were fouling. Jetting changes didn't make any difference.

Swapped in the stator coil from the parts bike last night, still no spark. I have basically replaced the entire ignition system with components from the parts bike (and yes, the parts bike ran).

I tried disconnecting the kill switch when this first happened in August.

This was a last ditch effort to try and get this bike running for TF... But I've already spent way too much money and time on it.

Instead, I'm going to focus on feeding Zach so he grows enough over the winter to be able to ride my bike. :nod:

Last edited:

CR250R@WINTERS

~SPONSOR~
May 28, 2004
Hmmmmmm..............tracking down electrical issues always sucks! Don't forget, I still can get you a great deal on a very nice CR125. See at trailfest.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Mike... PM or e-mail me the contact info on the bike... I'll at least check it out.

... Wonder if it would be available for a test ride this weekend?!? :)

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Bill,, out of curiousity did you do a compression test on that little cr?? Also,, float setting can foul plugs too,, as well as plugged pipe or broken reeds... Maybe do a little more checkin before you bail on it...

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Did not do a compression test, but I don't believe that's the problem. Disassembled, cleaned, and adjusted carb. Reeds look like new. Pipe is good, spark arrestor is brand new and has only about 50 miles on it.

It is definitely spark / ignition related. Zero, sometimes faint spark on the plug. Same plug on other bikes - big spark.

WildBill

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Mar 29, 2002
Bill,

Have you checked the wire harness for a possible break in one of the wires. Something I learned from my buddy before he passed was checking the resistance from one end of the wire to the other while moving the wire around to see if there is a break in the copper that is opening up. Just my $0.02, as electrical issues = :bang:. Good luck with the repair...

Bill

INCA

~SPONSOR~
Sep 1, 2003
Bill - I don't see anything on checking for good ground connections at all spots.

YT

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
also,, These modern CDI bikes are nothing like the ol points magneto bikes.. A good mag and a set of points you can rock the flywheel back and forth and get just as good of spark as you will from a solid hard kick on the kick start.. With these modern bikes you have to give them a boot to get a good spark... Try grounding the plug, turn off the lights and give er a solid snap of the kicker and watch.. Also, I have found that checking for electrical leaks in the dark can help by being able to see spark much better...

Top Bottom