Hi I'm new here. I think I may have screwed up.

jlc904

Jul 6, 2013
I just bought a 1997 Kawasaki KX60. The bike had not been run for a few years. It needed a carb cleaning so I did that and changed the fluids. The manual said to use SE Class SAE 10W30 or 10W40 oil in the transmission. Rather than drive an extra 20 miles to the motorcycle shop I went to O'rielly Auto Parts and they said their O'rielly 10W30 motor oil would work fine so thats what I used. I ran the bike a couple of hours and noticed the oil looked milky. I just drained the oil. It does not seem like there is water in the oil but it has a very milky color. This time I went to the motorcycle dealer. I am going to replace the oil with either Silkolene Comp Gear Semi-Synthetic Racing gear oil or Maxima 80wt MTL Fluid. I hope I didn't screw something up by using regular automotive oil. What do you think.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Milky oil is a sign of water in the oil and has nothing to do with the type of oil. It could be a leaky water pump seal or a leaky head gasket but I'd guess a water pump seal first.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
If it sat for a few years it could just be that there was water/condensation in there that has now gotten in the oil. I would just change it again and see if it happens again.

BTW, regular car oil should be fine. In all of my 2 strokes I run the cheapest ATF Type-F that I can find.

Top Bottom